Hey guys. Just got a new 8530 Curve yesterday. Loving it. Already figured out a bunch of things looking through this forum. Anyways, I am connected to my home WiFi network. And I am not subscribed to a data plan. I called Telus and asked if WiFi access was free and she said yes. I am just wondering, is there any way to make sure I am using WiFi when I go on my browser or that the apps I am using are only connected through WiFi and not charging me data usage?
    Thanks a lot!
    04-26-10 01:54 PM
    Set the browser to the "hotspot browser"
    04-26-10 01:59 PM
    Just remember however, that most apps you would add need a data plan to work properly.
    04-26-10 02:30 PM
    BB without a data plan is one fine phone but limited otherwise. Check this thread for lots of discussion and information about apps and WiFi: http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/bla...se-wifi-29376/
    04-26-10 02:46 PM
    You will know if it is using the wifi in the browser at least if on the top right there is the wifi symbol instead of your signal strength

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-10 03:02 PM
    Most apps works properly when connected to mobile network. But, I think that the BB Browser will work by just using WiFi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-10 08:51 PM
    I don't know Telus's policy, but on Verizon I can't use WiFi unless I have an active BIS plan.
    04-27-10 08:45 PM
    I am always connected to my WiFi when I am home and being a stay-at-home mom I am home a fair bit! Anyways, my average data usage is about 12 MB a month simply because I am most always using my WiFi and not using up my data! For instance right now I have only used 6.3 MB of my 500 MB allotted for the month and I have 2 days left before the cut off for this month all because I use my home WiFi instead of data when I am home!!!

Also, this may be of interest to you! With Telus you can go to App World and search Telus and download Mobile Minutes Tracker. It tells you how many minutes you have used, how many text messages you have used, how much data, and also your bill amount. It is FREE and a great way to keep track of things especially the data!!!
    04-27-10 09:49 PM