I use wifi in my home all the time...Works perfect...

At work, I cannot use the phone or text but email works? Even some restaraunts I go to will do the same as if I am at work? I can't make and receive calls, texting does not work....

What is the big deal about wifi on my curve 3G?
    I thought this could act as my modem...Can't get that to work either with my laptop?

Advice, suggestions? Thanks
    01-30-11 05:06 PM
    WiFi enables you to get DATA in locations where you might not be getting a good carrier signal such as rural areas, in buildings, basements, etc.

WiFi can also be faster than the carrier network depending upon the connection.

And for those on a limited data plan, data used over WiFi does not count against the plan limit.

Phone and SMS use the VOICE network not the DATA network. WiFi on a Verizon device has no effect on phone or SMS. If you aren't getting a carrier signal, then you won't be able call or text.

And WiFi on the device doesn't have anything to do with tethering (using the phone as a modem). The BlackBerry does not have the ability to act as a WiFi hotspot.
    01-30-11 06:13 PM
    Are you subscribed to a tethering plan?
    If you are on VZW you will need to pay extra to be able to tether(use phone as a modem)
    01-30-11 06:16 PM
    Or you can just download the tether app from the CB store. The trial offer should convince you how great that app is the when it goes back on sell(50% off) you'll be able to tether to your laptop anytime(provided you have and unlimited data plan with your network provider.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-11 08:28 PM
    Thanks for the explanation. Now I know! No interest in tethering but I was told wifi could do this...did not know I had to buy something to make it work...If they could be clearer when you buy the equipment, that would be helpful!

Thanks again
    01-30-11 08:47 PM
    I use wifi in my home all the time...Works perfect...

At work, I cannot use the phone or text but email works? Even some restaraunts I go to will do the same as if I am at work? I can't make and receive calls, texting does not work....

What is the big deal about wifi on my curve 3G?
    I thought this could act as my modem...Can't get that to work either with my laptop?

Advice, suggestions? Thanks
    Your signal for talking and text are seperate then your data signal which is the one that processes your wi-fi. You can have absolutely nobars for a voice cal or text however still have a 3G signal to open your browser and surf the net. Here's a trick you can use when you have no voice signal but still have a data signal,,,,,if you have a google account download the google voice which is a free phone service on google that gives you a phone # that you can assign to any other phone # you have (call forward ) this way you can open your browser and use google voice over your data signal etc.
    02-01-11 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD