I always connect to my home wi-fi for browsing the internet sites, but i have noticed that on my bill i still get the odd data charges for wap activity and some for web activity, but mainly wap.

I am on the blackberry email data plan only and not the blackberry internet plan, so i guess im on the bes and not bis. I understand that me using blackberry messenger would be free of charge because i am on this data plan. I am however unsure if i am getting charged for using yahoo,msn messenger etc. Maybe thats the reason im getting charged for data usage ?? When ever i do connect to yahoo messenger i dnt connect to my wi-fi as my thinking was that it would be free of charge too. Spoke to my carrier and they say using yahoo,msn etc is not part of the blackberry email data plan so i would be charged for it. Can anyone back this up for me ?? I do not know how i would set up my yahoo messenger so that it connects through my wi-fi

Also whenever i use google maps, i do not conect to my wi-fi. So would be charged for using it also ??

These are mainly the apps i use. If some1 can clear all this up for me , would really appreciate it
    04-11-09 10:12 AM
    04-11-09 04:25 PM
    try using everything as you describe but turn off your phones network radio to be sure you arent using any other connection other than wifi. if no charges are applied, somehow you were still using your network data. however, i was sure that once connected to a wifi spot, all data will automatically be run through wifi. unless your phone is sending data packets behind your back for something else that may be running in the background.
    04-15-09 03:30 AM
    try using everything as you describe but turn off your phones network radio to be sure you arent using any other connection other than wifi. if no charges are applied, somehow you were still using your network data. however, i was sure that once connected to a wifi spot, all data will automatically be run through wifi. unless your phone is sending data packets behind your back for something else that may be running in the background.
    having the exact same issue with my unlocked curve 8900. have a prepaid O2 sim card and no data plan, but still i lose 9 cents several times a day for some reason. thought i had this figured out, but the symptoms come and go. One thing that helped, was i turned the time from "blackberry" to "none". The phone's internal clock is fine and that will prevent it from trying to get it from some blackberry server.

2nd, i've noticed that the application security settings make a difference. i just installed gpsed and started getting charged data again. i turned application security for it to DENY phone, internet, and location data and so far no new charges.

Problem is, I don't know what those 3 settings are really needed for on most applications, and why data would be taken off for having them enabled if i don't have a data plan and no APN settings.

Thoughts?
    04-16-09 06:04 AM
    I ended up having to have my carrier disable data transmissions to my phone altogether since I don't have or need a data plan.

If you do have/need data and donn't want WAP connecting, go to option/advance options/TCP/iP. Remove all APN settings and save. I suggest backing up your phone first before you do this in case you decide later that you want to re-enable APN settings. Once you disable and save, they automatically blank out.
    dzorbas likes this.
    04-21-09 02:00 PM
    I think the wap data charges i was being charged for were for using google maps and possibly yahoo messenger. I am now using Beejive since it allows connection via wi-fi. So far i was not being billed extra, but then i got charged randomly the other day and the activity was described as a web charge. Now this is strange because everyday i connect through wi-fi to access the internet on my handset and i do not get charged. On the 25th April, i did the same thing ie used wi-fi to connect and i got charged for it !! It is ridiculious. I called my carrier anyways and got the charge refunded. But this is worrying. If i turn off the radio of my handset i may stop recieving my emails so thats no good. I cleared my APN setting way back when i first bought my phone so dnt know whats goin on there either. All i can say is that you can try your best to cut back on data charges and try to recieve a lower bill, but you will get billed data charges regardless of what you try since carriers what you to be billed at least a certain amount for them to be happy !
    04-27-09 07:30 AM
    Same exact thing I've found. I keep being told by "users" on this forum that data is a requirement and BB's need data. I think that's crap and have proven otherwise despite the phones apparent desire to send data even though you disable everything.

I ended up having my carrier block data on my SIM and that fixed it once and for all. Until I did that I kept losing data to "Internet charges" myself despite disabling all data services, APN settings, etc as RIM technicians suggested.

If you disable all PUSH services, APN\WAP, etc, that shouldn't happen, but it still does. I've hit a brick wall with the phone itself, but having your carrier block data will fix the problem even though it doesn't exactly address what the problem really is (backdoor data connections!!).
    04-27-09 12:42 PM
    Not ideal, but I fixed this by keeping my berry and buying an ipod touch for wifi. You hear that RIM?
    Don't get me wrong - the touch couldn't replace my berry outright. Time will tell though - as I don't feel RIM
    Or the carriers are devoting enough attention to the power and availabilty of wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-09 01:53 PM
    I think I'm with you Dr Pepper. I've bought my BB curve and am pretty much stuck with it for now since I don't feel like just throwing away 300 bucks. However, as much as i like this phone for the features it "offers" and the design, I'm going to go with something more user and wifi friendly when I upgrade again next year.

You got a few measly bucks out of me this time RIM, but I've learned my lesson and you won't be getting anymore from me - EVER. Hopefully lots of other potential buyers learn from my mistake and decide to give their hard earned cash to a more respectable phone company instead of wasting it on a BB (assuming you're looking for a data free option).

P.S. anyone find it odd that blackberry charges $45 every time you want them to solve an issue with their phone? They must be making a killing considering how many problems I've found so far. Thank goodness for community user forums that work together to resolve issues (caused by the manufacturer) for free!
    04-28-09 01:18 PM
    Is it possible to disable the data like someone said and then be able to still get picture messages, and is it easier/better to disable it through the phone or call cingular?
    05-06-09 09:41 AM
    No MMS (pictures with SMS) available without a data plan.

Probably best to have your carrier disable data to save you hassle in the long run.

You can turn data off directly on the phone (home/wireless manager/network settings/disable data). If you do that though, it will also turn off your ability to use WiFi so that sucks big time.

Only way to keep wifi and not have to worry about data charges is have your service provider block it at the source.
    05-09-09 06:40 AM
    If you have a BB you're gonna send and receive data. That's just how it is. It seems that the more popular the BB gets, the more people forget what the BB was designed for.

Because of this anyone that wants to own a BB will need a data plan. You can try to use Wi-Fi for email, messenger internet or whatever else. But if you have a Wi-fi connection at home why get on a BB for browsing. Use a laptop!

BB were designed for business people on the go with the need to have access to their stuff while out of the office. Now that everyone Yahoo has one we get complaints like this one.
    05-09-09 07:20 AM
    If you have a BB you're gonna send and receive data. That's just how it is. It seems that the more popular the BB gets, the more people forget what the BB was designed for.

Because of this anyone that wants to own a BB will need a data plan. You can try to use Wi-Fi for email, messenger internet or whatever else. But if you have a Wi-fi connection at home why get on a BB for browsing. Use a laptop!

BB were designed for business people on the go with the need to have access to their stuff while out of the office. Now that everyone Yahoo has one we get complaints like this one.
    Yes, you are right, they WERE designed for business people on the go with the need to have access to their stuff while out of the office. The emphasis being on the past tense.

The current demographic of blackberry users includes a large portion of individuals who use blackberry's for their personal use, this also means that their workplace doesn't cover the cost of data plans. It's also wortwhile to point out that the cost of a purchasing a blackberry has also been steadily decreasing.

Back to the original question that was asked in this thread. The reason why you are likely getting charged for data is that apps are using your mobile internet connection. To solve this problem, go to Options - Advanced Options - Applications -

For each application, click on the menu button, and go to Edit Permissions - go to Connections - go to Internet - change to Deny. As you can see, the WiFi option should be checked to Allow.

THe other thing you may want to do is go to Options - Date/Time - Date/Time Source - check Network instead of Blackberry.

Finally, go to Options - Advanced Options - GPS - Location Aiding - Disabled.

That should eliminate any data charges if you are not on a data plan. I wouldn't recommend asking your carrier to block all data, since there are emergencies when you may need to look something up without any WiFi, and can then quickly change your settings to allow, and incur a onetime <$2 charge, versus
    a monthly $15-30 fee.

Enjoy,
    SK
    05-10-09 12:52 PM
    Yes, you are right, they WERE designed for business people on the go with the need to have access to their stuff while out of the office. The emphasis being on the past tense.

The current demographic of blackberry users includes a large portion of individuals who use blackberry's for their personal use, this also means that their workplace doesn't cover the cost of data plans. It's also wortwhile to point out that the cost of a purchasing a blackberry has also been steadily decreasing.

Back to the original question that was asked in this thread. The reason why you are likely getting charged for data is that apps are using your mobile internet connection. To solve this problem, go to Options - Advanced Options - Applications -

For each application, click on the menu button, and go to Edit Permissions - go to Connections - go to Internet - change to Deny. As you can see, the WiFi option should be checked to Allow.

THe other thing you may want to do is go to Options - Date/Time - Date/Time Source - check Network instead of Blackberry.

That should eliminate any data charges if you are not on a data plan. I wouldn't recommend asking your carrier to block all data, since there are emergencies when you may need to look something up without any WiFi, and can then quickly change your settings to allow, and incur a onetime <$2 charge, versus
    a monthly $15-30 fee.

Enjoy,
    SK
    Thank you very much for your help Much appreciated. I will try to do what you stated above.

At the moment i do have a blackberry data plan but its the email data plan i have, not the one for surfing the internet. So whenever i am on the go at least i get my important emails. The wifi helps alot since if i am gone dwn to a friends house or family members, then i can easily log on to their wifi network. When i am home , wifi helps alot too since its so easy to quickly look up smething over the internet if i am relaxing on the couch, and my desktop is upstairs. Also laptop can be a pain just for a quick lookup for smething over the internet. The cell phone is smaller and easier to do such things.
    05-10-09 07:30 PM
    but still data charges are detected.

a monthly $15-30 fee.

Enjoy,
    SK
    09-17-11 01:47 PM
    If you want to use Wi-Fi without being charged for carrier data follow the guide:

1. you have to keep 'DATA SERVICES' (Networks and Connections-> Mobile Network) ON.

(the same with 'WHILE ROAMING' - ON, don't know if this one is obligatory,
    but better to have it this way)

Otherwise, your wifi wont work.

2. But then BB use sometimes also data from your operator, that are charged.
    TO AVOID this just go to SERVICE BOOK (Options->Device->Advanced System Settings->TCP IP) and delete all the lines starting with WAP, WAP2... (I kept only: 'Eurotel MMS Transport [WAP]'', Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser[BrowserConfig], Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport[WPTCP], BlackBerry Identity[BBID])

(for those who dont know how to delete lines: press BB key, then you will see Delete option)

If you will need use operators data service, keep configuration sms, and you can use it in emergency situation, where no wifi is present, to restore all deleted lines required,

Thats it GOOD LUCK

benxedikt using gmail
    Last edited by benxedikt; 01-13-12 at 12:29 PM.
    01-12-12 12:30 PM
    Unfortunately, apparently this is still true. A Telus rep. told me that it is very frequent that people with WiFi connections get billed for on air data. In fact, he strongly advised me against getting a pay per use data package, because I would be billed for time I was on WiFi. Well, at least he warned me
    02-24-12 06:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD