Question: Will I mess up my new bb 9650 if I use the Switch Device feature on Desktop Manager? I'm in the middle of it actually, chging from 8330 to 9650, and it is currently taking FOREVER in the phase called "Download Device Software" after connecting the new phone. Why does it need to download device software? The 9650 has its own device software which would be different from the 8330. I am a little panicked now...HOPE I AM NOT PUTTING THE 8330 SOFTWARE ON THE 9650 AND TOTALLY SCREWING UP MY NEW PHONE. Surely not...surely they wouldn't put that as an option if it screws up the phone. But why is it taking so long? YIKES!!!
    Karen
    P.S. Tried the Samsung Fascinate (Android phone) but HATED its lack of functionality. Loved the screen but it was hard to type (hunt and peck), all email accounts are separate so had to go to 3 places to look at 3 different email accounts, can't program the voicemail to put in my password, etc etc etc. Never leaving Blackberry again....even for a pretty face (Iphone).
    09-22-10 04:08 PM
    Which device is it updating? I use it all the time and no problems here.
    09-22-10 04:15 PM
    Be patient, the OS software download will take a while.

It is not possible to install 8330 Device OS on any other device. The existing OS software is an older version, this step will upgrade it to your carriers prefered OS version.

After that has finished, your data will be transfered and all of your BBM/PIN contacts will be updated with your new PIN number.

Finally, it will transfer third party applications if possible.
    09-22-10 04:20 PM
    Kelizrm, everything will be fine.. it took nearly 3 hours for me to do device switch from my 8130 to my 9700.
    09-22-10 04:22 PM
    Kelizrm, everything will be fine.. it took nearly 3 hours for me to do device switch from my 8130 to my 9700.
    Phew! I was worried because it is taking so long (a couple of hours so far I think)!!! Its crazy! I have no idea why it takes so long! But thanks to all for the reassurance!

I've already found a couple of cool apps and dl them before doing this so hope they will still be there. One is berryweather, another is Pocket Informant -waay cool, another is PhoneFusion Voicemail app.....

Karen
    09-22-10 04:46 PM
    OMG. Exactly what I was afraid of did happen! I didn't realize that when i bought my 9650 at Verizon they MOVED (not COPIED) my contacts. Well, when I went through the Device Switcher on desktop just now...ALL OF MY 500 CONTACTS ARE GONE. Its because they took them off at the store which I didn't realize. All I wanted was to move my memos and a few other things to my new phone. It also wiped out all my email messages, all my email accounts, all the new apps I had already downloaded to my new 9650. It is a total MESS.
    Does anyone know if there is the equivalent of a System Restore? Maybe they backed it up at the store or something? Damn.
    HELP
    09-22-10 05:41 PM
    Do you still have your BlackBerry 8330? If so, do a backup from BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Use Advanced Restore to copy the individual database elements over to your 9650.

09-22-10 08:50 PM
    Do you still have your BlackBerry 8330? If so, do a backup from BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Use Advanced Restore to copy the individual database elements over to your 9650.

i restored to my old 8330 from desktop manager. that gave me my contacts back. then i went to verizon. they transferred the contacts back to my 9650 so that is good now. BUT: somehow all games that came new on the 9650 were deleted. also in the applications folder, memo pad and task list are both missing. oh and also in applications folder, word to go, spreadsheet to go, and ppt to go are missing.
    How can I restore these?????
    09-22-10 09:07 PM
    Phew! You had me worried for a few moments.

All of the original applications are part of the OS package. You can use Applications on DTM v6 or Applications Loader from v5 to select which applications are installed on your device.

Check under Windows Control Panel / Programs. There should be two BlackBerry programs installed. BlackBerry Desktop Software and BlackBerry Device OS software for your 9650.

09-22-10 09:19 PM
    Do you have a backup file on your computer? If so, can you restore your stuff from that?
    09-22-10 09:25 PM
    Do you have a backup file on your computer? If so, can you restore your stuff from that?
    well, not of the 9650. it is a new device so I haven't done a backup on it. This mess happened when switching data from my 8330 to my new 9650. I DO have a backup of the 8330 so I restored my contacts using that. BUT the apps I have already mentioned (message prior to this one) appear to have been completely wiped from my 9650.
    karen
    09-22-10 09:32 PM

All of the original applications are part of the OS package. You can use Applications on DTM v6 or Applications Loader from v5 to select which applications are installed on your device.

i dont understand. i was using my "old" version of desktop manager that came with my 8330. i did receive a CD with my phone at purchase that i haven't even opened. it says vcast music w rhapsody and vzaccess manager software on the CD....
    what do I need to do?
    09-22-10 09:37 PM
    i dont understand. i was using my "old" version of desktop manager that came with my 8330. i did receive a CD with my phone at purchase that i haven't even opened. it says vcast music w rhapsody and vzaccess manager software on the CD....
    what do I need to do?
    and i also have (went through the bag of "goodies" a CD of Blackberry User Tools
    09-22-10 09:39 PM
    The CD will contain a version of BlackBerry Desktop Software. When you install it, it will check for updates and suggest you update to the latest version which is currently v6. You should allow it to update.

The next issue is your Device OS software. If that is not currently installed, you can download and install it seperatly.

Link to follow ...
    09-22-10 09:46 PM

Check under Windows Control Panel / Programs. There should be two BlackBerry programs installed. BlackBerry Desktop Software and BlackBerry Device OS software for your 9650.

I looked under Programs/Blackberry and there was a text file created today with an error message as follows: "DesktopMgr caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
    in module Application_Loader.dll at 001b:05b139dc CurrentThread:00000BA0."
    09-22-10 09:46 PM
    BlackBerry® Software Updates

This link is for the Verizon Home page.

This link will allow you to download the current software. Use the default setting for the standard version.

Once you have both support packages installed, Applications will work correclty.

I will stand by while you locate and download the package.
    09-22-10 09:52 PM

This link is for the Verizon Home page.

This link will allow you to download the current software. Use the default setting for the standard version.

Once you have both support packages installed, Applications will work correclty.

I will stand by while you locate and download the package.
    Reed, I am sorry to be dense but am I supposed to access this on my bb online and download there OR do I download it to my PC? I would guess the BB....?
    09-22-10 10:03 PM
    Use a Windows computer to download the software. Once it is installed, you will have total control of your BlackBerry.
    09-22-10 10:05 PM
    Use a Windows computer to download the software. Once it is installed, you will have total control of your BlackBerry.
    Don't give up Reed. I had to disconnect the device, close BB Desktop Mgr, then it restarted Windows. So I am now reconnecting the device (9650)
    09-22-10 10:22 PM
    Reed, the apps I enumerated are all still not on the device. Hmmm.....
    No games, the items in the application folder...(tasks, memos)....etc.
    now what?
    k
    09-22-10 10:27 PM
    I will stick with you until you have it sorted, or I will pick it back up when convient for you. It is getting late in the Eastern and Central time zones. I am in the West so it is mid evening here.

Your missing apps can be restored with the right software.

Use the links I posted to download the 9650 device software to your PC.
    09-22-10 10:38 PM
    I will stick with you until you have it sorted, or I will pick it back up when convient for you. It is getting late in the Eastern and Central time zones. I am in the West so it is mid evening here.

Your missing apps can be restored with the right software.

Use the links I posted to download the 9650 device software to your PC.
    It IS late and I am dead tired, but...I am downloading the device software as you say....now. brb
    09-22-10 10:53 PM
    Excellent, you are nearly there.

Once it has installed, you will be able to restore all the software components.
    09-22-10 10:59 PM
    Hi Reed,
    I downloaded the 9650 software to the PC then connected my bb and using Application Loader I am restoring the missing apps. They were all there in the software after the download. I guess the original mistake was using the old version of desktop manager!
    If there are any more problems I will post tomorrow so if you have time, check back. I really really really appreciate the time you have taken to help me with this problem!!!
    Thanks,
    Karen
    09-22-10 11:14 PM
    That is great news Karen, you have made my day!

You now have all the tools to master your BlackBerry. I will check back at 10:00 EDT if you have any more question.
    09-22-10 11:34 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD