I am going to Europe next week and have signed up for the VZW international data plan. Does anyone have experience using the GPS and Google maps for directions in England and Israel?

Does the GPS work overseas?

Are the directions accurate?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by stevealb; 03-22-09 at 08:28 AM.
    03-22-09 08:24 AM
    I'm interested in a definitive answer on this as well. I'm pretty confident that it will work though.

1) GPS is a global system so that system alone should work equally anywhere and only be dependant on satalite accessability.
    2) Google maps works great for direction in Europe from what I have found through experimentation. Put in the address of the hotel your staying at and that of another location near by, or not so near if you so desire. From what I have found Google has no problems giving directions in Europe.
    3) Using the points 1 and 2 above, i have come to the conclusion that it will work great for my trip to Europe this summer.

As far as accuracy goes, I have cross checked the direction that Google gave me in Europe with another program I have and use religeousely! It's called MapPoint, I have the North American and Europe version and it has never failed me so I'm confident in it's abilities. If your not familiar with it, it's essentially a corporate version of Microsoft Street and Maps.

Anyway, even though research and experimentation has led me to feeling comfortable in the ability of my Storm with GPS and Google Maps to get me around Europe, it would still be great to hear from someone that has actually used it in Europe and has first hand experience.
    03-22-09 11:45 PM
    based on what I have seen in other threads on this very forum (do a search for it) you need to discuss it with a vzw rep for accuracy. I think someone said that they had to use another SIM card while they were there or something to that extent.
    03-23-09 12:02 AM
    I Used my Storm in Germany and as long as I had the data signal I didn't have a problem with GPS or the directions. It was accurate the only thing was that if you veer off course it won't automatically recalculate your route.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by sgtslaughter; 03-23-09 at 02:39 AM.
    03-23-09 02:34 AM
    A data signal isn't necessary for GPS. I live in Spain but went to England for the weekend. I turned off my data roaming because Vodafone Spain charge in excess of $12 per day for it! Quite by accident I discovered that th GPS worked without data. that's with a 9500. Try it where you are by turning off the data and then using GPS.

03-23-09 04:35 AM
    Well hopefully I won't have any problems when I go to visit relatives in Ireland in March. I used to just load the correct maps onto my Garmin... but now that I have the storm, I sold my Garmin. So i'll hope for the best.
    03-23-09 05:06 AM
    Thanks Guys! I'll let you know how it works.
    03-23-09 07:39 AM
    Steve. It works great. GPS I used google maps. I used a vzw SIM. Used bbm surfed the web email etc. Voice quality and reception were great. Gluck!! I was in the UK december.

03-23-09 07:57 AM
    The directions are accurate within 3 meters!!

03-23-09 07:58 AM
    A data signal isn't necessary for GPS. ...Quite by accident I discovered that th GPS worked without data. that's with a 9500. Try it where you are by turning off the data and then using GPS.
    This is technically correct. However, a data connection is needed for real-time map applications like Google Maps. The data connection is needed to update or "refresh" the view, as the map data is not stored on the Storm (unlike, for instance, TomTom or Iguidance on a WinMo device's SD card).
    03-23-09 08:20 AM
    I used my Storm in Bangkok, and for the heck of it, I tried using the GPS to plot my location and it worked! I didn't try any directions or anything however...
    03-23-09 09:20 AM
    I'm in Germany now and I tried it in Spain the other day and Shanghai a few weeks back. It seems to be working fine now.
    03-25-09 06:02 PM
    I am going in a couple of weeks. Did your GPS work? What did you need to do? How about the cost of calling and receiving calls there? Data?

Well hopefully I won't have any problems when I go to visit relatives in Ireland in March. I used to just load the correct maps onto my Garmin... but now that I have the storm, I sold my Garmin. So i'll hope for the best.
    04-01-09 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD