In a couple months, I'll be heading to Europe (Belgium specifically) for work for a couple weeks. I'm trying to research what the best options will be.

For example, I found RoamSimple.com and that looks like a good deal (best Ive found so far).

Has anyone used it?

I have a VZW Storm. Will I have to call VZW to unlock it, or can I just swap SIM cards and be happy?

If I do not get a data plan while I'm over there, will I lose my data when I get back (in other words, will it do something like delete/reset my contacts, calendars, and so forth?)

If I do get a data plan, is there a way to STOP e-mail but still get calendar sync?

If I use Garmin Maps on my Storm, do I need a data plan at all to use it?

I've got lots of questions, and I'm trying to figure out the best overall way to go with this. If I just wanted a phone, I could buy an unlocked one for cheap and then get a SIM card... but if I'd prefer to keep my data with me as it's got all my flight and train info, as well as hotel reservation info.

So can someone unconfuse me?
    03-24-10 12:37 AM
    To use a local SIM card, yes you will have to unlock the phone. If you're active on Verizon, you can call them and explain the situation and they should send you an unlock code at no charge and directions how to unlock the phone.

If you want to use data, it's probably best to ask Verizon how much their International plan might be for the length of time you'll be there. This is just because most of the pre-paid SIM cards in Europe/Asia don't include data services at all. Most of it is at the post-paid (contract) level and it doesn't sound like you'll be there long enough for a contract.

If you want to not get any new e-mail, you can either perhaps temporarily delete your e-mails from the phone, or put a firewall on your e-mails so they don't come through.
    03-24-10 10:15 AM
    I don't think the Garmin works in Europe. As suggested, some of the best pricing for Data is to go with the Verizon global plan. It replaces your current $30 with a $65, so about $35 more per month but they prorate it if less than a month. For an extra $5/month, you can get reduced but still pricy phone calls but you retain your US number so if Europeans call, it would be an international call for them but calling the US or US calling you would be "local" US.
    03-24-10 10:21 AM
    Like cdowner mentioned, if you have an account with Verizon, you can call them and tell them you will be traveling and would like to use a local SIM card you have and they should give you the code for free.

Once you unlock your phone you will basically be able to use most GSM SIM cards worldwide. Just remember that when you enter the SIM card in the phone, you will need to go to Options/Mobile Network and change Technology to GSM/UMTS and select 2G (or 3G if it works).
    03-24-10 10:30 AM
    I don't think the Garmin works in Europe. As suggested, some of the best pricing for Data is to go with the Verizon global plan. It replaces your current $30 with a $65, so about $35 more per month but they prorate it if less than a month. For an extra $5/month, you can get reduced but still pricy phone calls but you retain your US number so if Europeans call, it would be an international call for them but calling the US or US calling you would be "local" US.
    If I'm understanding, with this solution the individual would keep the existing VZW SIM card in their Storm which would mean they don't even need to unlock it (if they don't want to).

I have changed to the International data plan for vacation (Mexico) and kept in touch back home via BBM or e-mails. Beware of texting...it is expensive and not part of the international data plan. I avoided it. I also avoided making/receiving calls as the rate was $1/minute (though I didn't know there was a $5 option that offered a reduced rate).

You don't need to worry about shutting down e-mail if you don't want to since it would be covered in the International Data plan.
    03-24-10 10:35 AM
    i wouldn't buy a prepaid sim card unless you reach your destination where it will probably be cheaper. Some carriers abroad have prepaid BIS option where you can top off your account to a certain balance and they will activate it for you. You can also activate verizon worldwide blackberry data in addition to getting a local sim card from belgium. You'll have to swap between the verizon sim and the belgium sim so that might not be very convenient for you if you need data and voice at once. With sprint receiving sms abroad is free but sending is not currently possible, I don't know how it is with verizon, but if you do have a google number you can download the google voice app and send/receive sms like that over the data connection.
    03-24-10 10:45 AM
    French: I'm not sure but it has been suggested that you should call verizon in any event so that the native verizon sim card will work. I don't know if they have to "turn something on" or if it is just a curtesy. But for cheaper data (unlimited), you need to call for the global plan and then the card automatically worked - I used my 8830 in europe last summer - transparent. Once I was in Amsterdam between flights, I got and sent email immediately. We only used the phone about 3 or 4 times but used tons of data as three of us used my BB for email and checking the web and weather and news and rifugios.

Since we were remote a lot of the time (dolomites) there were places without service but mostly it worked well.

I don't text so that was not an issue but I understand it is pricy like phone calls.
    03-24-10 12:48 PM
    Don't forget Skype Mobile is to be released tomorrow. That could play into things for you too......
    03-24-10 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD