Dear all,

I appreciate that there are a couple of threads on similar topics already out there but I'd be grateful if somebody could assist me and I'm a little on the new side!...

I have a Blackberry curve on O2 (UK) and am travelling over to the USA for business purposes for two weeks. I don't want to run up a huge bill so what are my options? I would still like to receive calls and texts as usual but can probably do without receiving emails as I'm guessing that it is these that will cost me the most? Can I disable receiving emails without deleting my emails accounts on the Blackberry? And with whatever setting you suggest, will this still enable me to use WiFi?

I hope somebody can assist me.

Thanks very much guys
    07-05-10 06:58 PM
    First things first, call up O2 to ask for the unlock code. The unlock code will let you use any SIM card in your phone, so you don't get screwed on roaming.

Go to a T-Mobile store and activate a $59.99 500 minutes + unlimited text + unlimited data Even More Plus plan. This has no contract, and will cost approximately $30 for a 14 day stay. You'll get BIS service and you can cancel at the end of your trip. Well if you can activate one, you should be able to. If not, grab a prepaid T-Mobile SIM card and go. You won't be able to get BIS though with a standard prepaid SIM so your BlackBerry will just be a regular phone.

Also, are you talking about texting to your British friends? This will cost you money. Either get a Google Voice account or tell people to not text you for a week.
    07-05-10 07:30 PM
    actually, i think t-mobile does offer prepaid BIS data dont they?
    07-05-10 11:24 PM
    actually, i think t-mobile does offer prepaid BIS data dont they?
    No, they don't.
    07-05-10 11:35 PM
    No, they don't.
    why do i keep thinking i see people talk about them having it here?
    07-06-10 12:02 AM
    I think its boost mobile with the prepaid bis service

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-10 03:22 AM
    Thanks for all the posts guys....

Out of interest, if I turn off Data Services, this means that I won't receive emails and won't be able to use the browser, right? But SMS and standard phone capabilities will remain? I think this is an option.

However, if I disable Data Services (and therefore email / browser), am I still able to use WiFi or is this also disabled? Is there a work-around which would enable me to disable the emails and internet (which I will be heavily billed for) and use WiFi to receive emails and browse the web?

Thanks again
    07-06-10 04:02 AM
    SMS doesnt use data, so those will still come through.

as for the data over wifi, i think if you connect to a wifi network, then shut off your mobile network, you will be using data strictly over wifi for free.
    07-06-10 05:02 AM
    if you change your settings to (in the manage connections> mobile network options)

for OS 5.0 its

data - ON
    when roaming - OFF

and for OS 4.6 its

data services - OFF when roaming

then you`ll get data but only when on O2UK (saves having to change anything when you get back).

wifi useage is classed seperately, so yes you can use this, although for total peace of mind you could always turn your mobile signal off while doing so, that said though it`ll show GPRS/EDGE/WIFI next to your signal indicator when you open the browser so you know how your connected.

and finally its worth a call to O2, as i know they are changing some of their abroad stuff, so a text from abroad is now like an MMS which uses up 4x sms (again presuming you have a txt bundle), however im not sure if this is just for europe or for the USA too
    07-06-10 05:44 AM
    I do this all the time. I go to the US 4 -4 times a year for 2 -3 weeks each time.

I have tried and tried to find a workable solution and have failed. My son now obtains an AT&T SIM Go Phone Card and I use that with an old 8100 whilst I am there. I get $1 a day + $0.1 / minute calls and SMSs with no internet.

O2 want 6 UK ponds per Mb and about 1 pound per SMS. A ridiculous charge.

You should call O2 and ask about their international options else get a $25 SIM card + dumb Nokia from AT&T for your trip.

Boost Mobile (CDMA) will sell you an 8330 for $249 + month BIS service.

T-Mobile will do something similar with a GSM phone.

You need a US Social Security number to obtain any of the above including the AT&T SIM card.
    07-06-10 06:05 AM
    No, they don't.
    Yes, the absolutely do.

That's what the Even More Plus plans are.
    07-06-10 06:38 AM
    Yes, the absolutely do.

You still have to buy a T-Mobile phone and, I think they wanted about $60 / month. Here's the link T-Mobile Complete–A New No-Annual Contract Solution | TmoNews - Unofficial T-Mobile Blog - News, Videos, Articles and more
    07-06-10 06:43 AM
    Yes, the absolutely do.

I don't really consider EMP a prepaid plan. I was mentioning EMP earlier even.

Pete, you can bring your own phone in. I recommend that plan to a lot of people with Nexus Ones and they haven't had any trouble.
    07-06-10 08:30 AM
    To answer your original question, yes you can swith off data and receive emails over WIFI whilst you are away.

I remember one thread here where someone got charged for tiny amounts of data when they switched their BB on - even though data was "off while roaming", so I would recommend just switching data to off while you are at the airport waiting for the plane.

When you are connected to WIFI, your emails and other messages WILL get through - I used this whilst on holiday in the Canaries.

The suggestion of getting a local SIM would seem to depend on where you will be calling / texting. If it will be within the US, then a US SIM might make sense. If you will be calling home, check the costs with your UK provider. They might have a package / extra / bolt-on that would save you money.

When you've worked out which makes most sense for you, please update us - it will help others asking themselves the same question.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-10 09:14 AM
    Thanks everyone all for your help and support on this...

Ok, so I made it to the US and have wireless in my hotel. I have turned data service to "Off" and also turned off my mobile network for peace of mind. What happens - nothing. I can't recieve emails or browse the web.

I then turn data sevices "Off while roaming" and keep the mobile network off, and it works....why is this? Surely both should work.

Will I be charged if I do the above (data services "off while roaming" and mobile network "off")? Surely everything is now coming from WiFi and has nothing to do with my carrier?

Thanks again!
    07-10-10 08:40 PM
    No you won't be charged if you've selected 'data off when roaming'. Its the only option that you have to get emails through wifi

Turning data completely off will not let any data go through your phone...wifi OR BIS
    07-24-10 02:57 PM
    No you won't be charged if you've selected 'data off when roaming'. Its the only option that you have to get emails through wifi

Turning data completely off will not let any data go through your phone...wifi OR BIS
    You need to turn Data Services Off completely on an O2 phone in the US. I turned Data Services to Off when Roaming and the little arrows still displayed. They stopped when I tunred Data Off completely.

When I did that, WiFi still worked fine.

I just turned Data On once a day to get my emails.
    07-24-10 03:03 PM
    Newbie here guy's..i'm in the same boat but in my case all i will probaly want to do is BBM my wife on her BB and maybe surf the web..

So my question is can i do both when in the US and will it cost me to do both?

btw be gentle with me...my daughter just told me what BBM meant ;-)
    08-27-11 02:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD