So..I'm a student from China studying in the states now, and I'll planning to get my new BB (with 2yr contract) from a local AT&T shop by this Weekend. However, I'll be going back to China in like 2 weeks from now, and I'll need to use a sim from my local carrier (China Unicom) because my summer vacation is 3 months long and the roaming fees are going to bankrupt me if I do so. I want to switch back to AT&T, though, after I come back in September. From my past experience with BB phones, unlocking the phone shouldn't be a technical difficulty for me, and I can tell AT&T to suspend my account for 3 months (I don't mind if they charge me for the first month even if I won't get a full month of use out of it). The thing that confuses me is BIS. I have heard that if you register your phone's PIN with a certain carrier BIS, then before you switch to another carrier's BIS, you need to first de-register the PIN from the first carrier. Is that statement true? If so, will AT&T allow me to do that(de-register), or do they see this as an action of early termination?

I'm sooooo confused now

Thanks,
    Kane

PS:Sorry about my not-so-good English..I'm still learning:P
    05-22-12 01:11 AM
    Explain to your carrier and see if they will unlock. If not just buy a unlock code. I'm not sure how they will handle the suspension situation.

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    05-22-12 01:55 AM
    It would be cheaper to buy an unlocked GSM phoneand but the local SIM card needed.
    05-22-12 02:03 AM
    AT&T

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    05-22-12 02:56 AM
    You can use unlocked Blackberry phones with other carriers, if you get the device then unlocking it is very simple... all you need is to get th unlock code for your Blackberry bold 9900.

With the BIS, well the carrier is the one that giver you the data service and the PIN number of your Blackberry is signed with your BIS account... when you switch a carrier simply contact your carrier and get the PIN# released from the account and then register it with the BIS from the other carrier you are using.
    05-22-12 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD