If i want to use my blackberry as a wifi only device is it possible for apps such as facebook, google maps, windows live messenger, yahoo messenger etc to still work even if i dont have a BIS connection?

I think my apps are set to connect through the BIS as when i try putting a different sim in my blackberry and turn the wifi on, it refuses to fully connect to the wifi. i dont know why.

it finds the SSID of my wifi but won't change the WIFI sign to fully on, what is the problem?

in theory i shouldn't need to even put a sim in at all to use it as a wifi only device, what have o2 done to stop it working?
    06-26-10 05:12 PM
    Some apps are designed to only work when you have a network connection, and not just on wifi.
    06-26-10 05:14 PM
    are these the 'add on' applications?

ok but do i need to have a BIS connection for them to work?

if i get a network connection without a BIS connection, where do i change the settings?

what's strange is that if i have a network connection and turn the mobile network off and turn the wifi on the applications work perfectly, but if i take the sim out and turn the mobile network off and wifi on they do not..

why is this?

i know something in host routing table or APN settings needs to be changed to tell the blackberry to connect to the internet via a different route?

where do i change this and to what?
    06-26-10 05:33 PM
    If i want to use my blackberry as a wifi only device is it possible for apps such as facebook, google maps, windows live messenger, yahoo messenger etc to still work even if i dont have a BIS connection?......
    The BlackBerry Facebook application is a RIM application. It requires BLACKBERRY DATA even over WiFi.

The BlackBerry Google applications will not work over WiFi without BlackBerry Data.

The BlackBerry Windows Live Messenger application is a RIM application. It requires BLACKBERRY DATA even over WiFi.

The BlackBerry Yahoo Messenger application is a RIM application. It requires BLACKBERRY DATA even over WiFi.
    06-26-10 06:30 PM
    The BlackBerry Facebook application is a RIM application. It requires BLACKBERRY DATA even over WiFi.

The BlackBerry Google applications will not work over WiFi without BlackBerry Data.

The BlackBerry Windows Live Messenger application is a RIM application. It requires BLACKBERRY DATA even over WiFi.

The BlackBerry Yahoo Messenger application is a RIM application. It requires BLACKBERRY DATA even over WiFi.
    yea this has been discussed a million times, OP please search next time. in order to get the most out of your device and fully use all the apps that are developed, you need a BB data plan. only certain things work over wifi without it.
    06-26-10 09:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD