I am with Rogers, but perhaps this will apply to other carriers as well:

I have had a 9900 that met its demise, and called Rogers to see when I am eligible for a hardware upgrade (answer: not yet). They said the cost to upgrade early would be:

• The cost of the phone
    • Renewing my contract x 3 years
    • $104.00 early upgrade fee
    • $35.00 service fee
    • - $50.00 rebate fee

Luckily for me, Rogers is in it's back-to-school sale season, and many of their smartphones are $0.01 on a 3-year-term. I confirmed with the Rogers technician and indeed $0.01 would be the "cost of the phone".

I highly doubted this, especially since when I asked for a specific model, she said that it was no longer in their catalogue, despite the fact it is advertised on promotion on the website! I suspected "the cost of the phone" would be the regular retail price, plus the additional $139 in fees.

However, the sales reps at the Rogers store came up with the same calculation, and I paid a total of $157.00 for a brand new phone (Plus $50 mail in rebate, so in the end, it will cost me $107)...not bad for an early upgrade.

Things to keep in mind, though:

1. Not ALL phones may be part of their back-to-school promotions. For instance, I would have had to pay an additional $257 if I wanted another 9900, as it was advertised as $99.99 and not $0.01 (Lucky for me, I was after a different model)

2. You'll be locked in for another 3 years [which for me this wasn't a problem as I have a decent plan and no desire to leave Rogers]

Hooray deals!
    08-11-12 05:02 PM
    Good kill!!
    08-11-12 06:54 PM
    Thank you, stranger!
    dictoresno likes this.
    08-11-12 08:03 PM
    You did good there. Hopefully some other Rogers customers see this.
    08-11-12 09:01 PM
    Someone was telling me about this earlier on BBM because they had wanted to get a second phone. [I'm in the U.S. so I myself do not deal with Rogers], but it sounded straight forward & I found several carriers around the globe are doing this with 'stale' phones. You are still penalized for early termination, but the phones themselves are being discounted. Therefore the usual requirement of a plan having ended before receiving a hardware discount does not apply.

In the end, for example with Rogers, the concept stands they have six stale phones to be dumped quickly. You can actually save far more for instance with the 9300 or 9810 is you buy the phone new from a 3rd party because it is not just a carrier discount. [Although I thought the back-to-school touch some are throwing around attracts more attention]

For reference the 9360/9810 are $149.50/$160 respectively brand new on one site with No Contract Obligation and $75 rebate. Same store had a brand new 9900 for $185, No Contract Obligation to purchase and a $50 rebate...

My friend ended up buying a few for his family for the holidays. Good deals all around right now...
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-11-12 09:03 PM
    While it seems like a work around, it does what Rogers wants,
    it locks you in for 3 additional years.

Like you I don't care and have used early upgrade deals and contract extensions since being with Rogers.

Though on Bell I avoid it, I keep my line, but being Off contract with Bell, I've had a negotiated rate to get me a very fair price when I was on contract, and now being off contract I save 10% per bill. which over 3 years equates to about the same as paying full price vs the contract price of a device.
    Though Until RIM releases an updated BlackBerry style I don't see myself upgrading ever.
    08-11-12 09:20 PM
    Telus offered me an early upgrade today too...my contract expires in Feb but they offered me $79 for a 9900 if I signed up today for another 3 years.

I said no thanks.
    A. I already have a great 9900
    &
    B. I'm waiting for BB10

The reason I was talking to Telus today was becuase they made a "small" error on my account, my $125.73 bill was $500.28! You really gota watch those guys. They never make billing "mistakes" in YOUR favor
    08-11-12 09:34 PM
    If you break your contract and leave providers now you can keep your number. It's been this way for like 4 years now.

Bell is pretty poo if you ask me. Clarity is not very good nor is their service. Only good thing about them is they have the best signal in the northern cities or in the country. I myself have been a rogers customer for 8 years and prior to that was on bell with a.pay as you go plan
    08-11-12 09:36 PM
    The reason I was talking to Telus today was becuase they made a "small" error on my account, my $125.73 bill was $500.28! You really gota watch those guys. They never make billing "mistakes" in YOUR favor
    Ay yi yi I am not happy to hear that!

Like GTiLeo, I didn't like Bell service(s) either! Rogers is a good choice in Canada, though we have Virgin now, which I'd imagine is fairly competitive. You Americans sure have awesome plans, though...
    08-11-12 09:41 PM
    Someone was telling me about this earlier on BBM because they had wanted to get a second phone. [I'm in the U.S. so I myself do not deal with Rogers], but it sounded straight forward & I found several carriers around the globe are doing this with 'stale' phones. You are still penalized for early termination, but the phones themselves are being discounted. Therefore the usual requirement of a plan having ended before receiving a hardware discount does not apply.

In the end, for example with Rogers, the concept stands they have six stale phones to be dumped quickly. You can actually save far more for instance with the 9300 or 9810 is you buy the phone new from a 3rd party because it is not just a carrier discount. [Although I thought the back-to-school touch some are throwing around attracts more attention]

For reference the 9360/9810 are $149.50/$160 respectively brand new on one site with No Contract Obligation and $75 rebate. Same store had a brand new 9900 for $185, No Contract Obligation to purchase and a $50 rebate...

My friend ended up buying a few for his family for the holidays. Good deals all around right now...
    You bring a good point about "stale" phones...I was specifically seeking a 9810, so this deal worked out to my favour (and talk about stale: they didn't even have them in stock! They had to call four stores before finding one!)
    08-11-12 09:42 PM
    You bring a good point about "stale" phones...I was specifically seeking a 9810, so this deal worked out to my favour (and talk about stale: they didn't even have them in stock! They had to call four stores before finding one!)
    Heck yeah, they would only be stale from a business model perspective [I'm an new ECON Prof.], but the technology in them is still good as ever! BB for real!
    anon(1308230) likes this.
    08-12-12 02:31 PM
    how do you like the 9810 after having the 9900 previously? also if i may ask why you didn't go for another 9900? outside of cost that is even though it sounds like you were thinking of 9810 regardless of cost
    08-13-12 08:24 AM
    how do you like the 9810 after having the 9900 previously? also if i may ask why you didn't go for another 9900? outside of cost that is even though it sounds like you were thinking of 9810 regardless of cost

Main thing for me with the 9810 is the keyboard. I have a 9900 and the wife has a 9810. 9810 camera is loads better with autofocus imo and screen real estate is nice but I mainly use my phone for typing so the 9900 keyboard won my vote. Other than keyboards,camera,screen size and thickness the 2 devices they're identical in terms of hw and sw.

I did hear the 9810 was end of life though which would be a shame because it is a beast.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    08-13-12 09:18 AM
    I did hear the 9810 was end of life though which would be a shame because it is a beast.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    It has been awhile ago, on T-Mo, but it's still on the AT&T website for $99.99.
    08-13-12 02:10 PM
    I too am interested in 9900 versus 9810. I look forward to hearing more...
    08-13-12 03:00 PM

I have had a 9900 that met its demise, and called Rogers to see when I am eligible for a hardware upgrade (answer: not yet). They said the cost to upgrade early would be:

• The cost of the phone
    • $35.00 service fee
    • - $50.00 rebate fee

Luckily for me, Rogers is in it's back-to-school sale season, and many of their smartphones are $0.01 on a 3-year-term. I confirmed with the Rogers technician and indeed $0.01 would be the "cost of the phone".

I highly doubted this, especially since when I asked for a specific model, she said that it was no longer in their catalogue, despite the fact it is advertised on promotion on the website! I suspected "the cost of the phone" would be the regular retail price, plus the additional $139 in fees.

However, the sales reps at the Rogers store came up with the same calculation, and I paid a total of $157.00 for a brand new phone (Plus $50 mail in rebate, so in the end, it will cost me $107)...not bad for an early upgrade.

1. Not ALL phones may be part of their back-to-school promotions. For instance, I would have had to pay an additional $257 if I wanted another 9900, as it was advertised as $99.99 and not $0.01 (Lucky for me, I was after a different model)

2. You'll be locked in for another 3 years [which for me this wasn't a problem as I have a decent plan and no desire to leave Rogers]

Hooray deals!
    I'm in my last year of a 3 year contract. I'm wondering if this would apply. I'm holding out for a BB10 phone, so I haven't really been in contact with Rogers regarding upgrades yet. Do current customers have preferential rates on buying a new phone, or would I get treated like a new one, (say $299 3-year renewal). Anyone with experience on this?
    08-13-12 05:55 PM
    I'm in my last year of a 3 year contract. I'm wondering if this would apply. I'm holding out for a BB10 phone, so I haven't really been in contact with Rogers regarding upgrades yet. Do current customers have preferential rates on buying a new phone, or would I get treated like a new one, (say $299 3-year renewal). Anyone with experience on this?
    Ask to speak to the Retention Department, they can often give you a better deal on a new phone/contract than the regular sales staff as their goal is to keep you as a Rogers customer no matter what.
    glennster28 likes this.
    08-13-12 06:16 PM

• The cost of the phone
    • $35.00 service fee
    • - $50.00 rebate fee

Hooray deals!
    As far as I know, the $0.01 deal was a rehash of last year's promotion also for the 9810 (my friend bought a white one with that promotion). Like DeRusett mentioned, the goal is to lock in customers for another 3 years. It is also known that there is a retentions department that would potentially give you a better plan if you mention cancelling your services, then haggling for this promotion. I received an early hardware upgrade last year to a white 9900 with a renegotiated contract a year into my previous contract from a 9700.
    08-14-12 08:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD