I've been using twitter Twitter: What are you doing? for a fair while, using mainly
    twitterberry client and more recently twibble :: a location aware twitter client for Mac OS, Windows, Mobile

twitter is like an instant messaging platform but instead of sending your message to just one person, it broadcasts it to people who 'follow' you.
    There is a great little video on the twitter.com which explains it better than I can.

I've been experimenting with another social networking tool/site called brightkite, brightkite.com.

brightkite goes a step further than twitter and does clever things like check who is in your vicinity that are also using brightkite and allows you to message them etc.
    You can post pictures and do other neat stuff.

They have just released a beta client for the iPhone, which has been in great demand. They have a blackberry client in the works but it is far from ready at the moment. I'm not sure they realise there is a demand for it.

If you start using brightkite you sill see how neat it is, give it a few days though before you dismiss it. You can use it on your blackberry by using the mobile interface, which works fine in the rim browser.

brightkite allows you to post to your twitter account from within brighkite too.

It's invite only at present and I do have a spare invite or two to give out.
    Let me know if you are keen to give it a whirl.

If we can drum up a bit of interest on here maybe the guys developing the brightkite app will push it forward a bit

Thanks
    mike
    Last edited by dirky; 09-03-08 at 03:44 PM. Reason: urls needed fixing
    09-03-08 03:40 PM
    I'm also playing around with both of these web apps as well.

Right now, Brightkite's usefulness is limited as long as it's not able to use the Blackberry GPS or even cell phone triangulation, and doing automatic updates to the site.

I really hope that they work on cell phone triangulation together with GPS, since GPS only works outside of buildings.

This is the first thing that they need to work on if they want people to post notes, photos, comments, etc since it's a pain to keep 'checking in' where you are.
    09-04-08 02:41 PM
    Thats weird, when I requested an email they said they would send me a link to the beta when the time was ready.

Dm
    09-04-08 03:10 PM
    I'm also playing around with both of these web apps as well.

Right now, Brightkite's usefulness is limited as long as it's not able to use the Blackberry GPS or even cell phone triangulation, and doing automatic updates to the site.

I really hope that they work on cell phone triangulation together with GPS, since GPS only works outside of buildings.

This is the first thing that they need to work on if they want people to post notes, photos, comments, etc since it's a pain to keep 'checking in' where you are.
    Firstly I have some more brightkite invites if anybody would like one. FCFS.

Secondly there is a very small and usefull app which has been written that allows you to download your placemarks over the air from the BK site. You can then quickly select where you are and click update, thats it. Takes about a second.
    This is the beginnings of the blakcberry brightkite application.
    The author is starting to integrate this in to some other code very soon.

The app called BBPlacemarks is available here

BBPlacemarks

its functional and works well for me. The only problem is once you check in somewhere you still have to go to the BK mobile site to post a note.
    I usually use the 'email photo' and comment to my bk email address.

Mike Dent (mcdent) - brightkite.com
    09-08-08 10:02 AM
    Thats weird, when I requested an email they said they would send me a link to the beta when the time was ready.

Dm
    Same here.
    09-08-08 10:53 AM
    Same here.
    I guess its just to keep you in the know. Nothing wrong with this I suppose.
    09-08-08 04:23 PM
    Well, I received my invite today much to my surprise.
    The site is very interesting and allows you to create a blog of sorts but rather than do a daily post, it allows you to post randomly as many times as you want and with photos.

Great functionality on the mobile site as well as the full site and based on the posts I've seen on the mobile site, there seems to be a wide base of users.

This site works great if you have friends that have an interest in knowing what you're up to. For me, who has no friends, it is useless.

Dm
    09-12-08 08:42 AM
    10-09-08 02:47 PM
    You no longer need an invite to sign up for Brightkite now.
    See the entry on their blog at
    Brightkite now in Public Beta at Brightkite Blog
    Sadly no Blackberry love as yet but I'm trying!
    12-03-08 05:33 PM
    05-19-09 10:59 AM
    Nice to see this progressing into an actual app. Hopesfully they will add in GPS support soon as well.
    05-19-09 01:29 PM
    Nice to see this progressing into an actual app. Hopesfully they will add in GPS support soon as well.

GPS is supported just go to Search & Check In and hit the menu button and Get GPS Location.
    05-20-09 09:32 AM
    Major Upgrade to Brightkite for the Blackberry! BrightBerry: Version 0.2.8 Released!!! OTA here: Blackberry apps by Hallgren Network
    07-24-09 07:32 AM
    thanks guys...
    07-24-09 11:45 PM
    now known as MyKite

updates the following networks

while I have Ping.FM to update the rest of it.

08-21-09 03:25 AM
    OK, I did have BrightKite , i deleted it from Options>Advanced Options>Applications , BUT..... THERE IS STILL AN ICON for it on my screen, and its labeled - Mykite (Archived) , anyone know how i can get rid of it?
    10-02-09 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD