I have a BB 8900 that I replaced with a newer phone. I ended the contract on the 8900, but now I'd like to be able to have it useful for simple web surfing over wifi. I wiped the phone and installed BB OS 5 on it.

Problem is, when I go into the web browser, it tells me "Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later." I found out that the solution to this is to re-register the phone on the network and download the service books, but without a cell plan, I can't do that.

How can I download the service books without a cell plan? Or is there some other way to make this work?
    08-11-10 04:44 PM
    use the WAP browser and change its configuration to "hotspot browser" instead of "internet browser".
    08-11-10 05:42 PM
    Thanks - where's the WAP browser? All I see is the regular browser.
    08-12-10 07:46 AM
    I don't believe you can use the wifi for this. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but you need a Blackberry Data plan in order to surf the web, even over wifi. There may be work arounds out there but they work in a limited fashion. No data plan, no web access.
    08-12-10 12:57 PM
    When I first got my 9700 it wasn't activated on any network(didn't even have a SIM card in it) and I could browse using wifi
    08-12-10 01:05 PM
    Over look the obvious huh? Copy the service books from your new BB to your old BB.
    08-12-10 02:36 PM
    Over look the obvious huh? Copy the service books from your new BB to your old BB.
    You've got me curious - where are the service books stored and how can they be copied?
    08-12-10 03:19 PM
    BlackBerry Desktop Manager Backup
    08-12-10 03:35 PM
    and yes you can browse over wifi without a plan. my 8900 has no SIM card in it and im able to browse the net over wifi with it.
    08-12-10 07:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD