Hi everyone,
    I did search, over and over, and found conflicting information.

I have a BB Tour, and will be getting a Torch most likely or a Bold.
    I also want to buy a Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant.

Can I just switch the sim card from phone to phone back and forth and use both depending on how my mood strikes?
    According to the info I found while searching, plus the fact that many of you have several phones, it would seem it is possible.

However, when I was at the Bell store here in Canada yesterday, the sales rep told me that because they use different data packets, I would only be able to use the Samsung for phone use only. I wouldn't be able to access any type of date (internet, email etc).

Is that true or did the sales rep just tell me something he thought was true but is false?
    09-04-10 10:14 AM
    you can switch SIM cards when ever you want but you will have to call your local CS to have the swap data plan styles. Meaning a RIM package will not work on a Android phone, and both of those are different from an Apple Data Package.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-10 10:25 AM
    Also be careful as some carriers prorate data package changes.
    09-04-10 10:48 AM
    Thanks folks.

I was hoping to continue with the BB as I require some of the features for work, but also have a slick new shiny phone for off-work hours. However, I am not going to go through the motions and inconvenience (and possibly extra cost) to switch data plans back and forth, so I will just stick with the BB.
    09-04-10 11:15 AM
    you can switch SIM cards when ever you want but you will have to call your local CS to have the swap data plan styles. Meaning a RIM package will not work on a Android phone, and both of those are different from an Apple Data Package.

Incorrect, at least in my case. I have used an android device (from T-Mo no less) on AT&T with my BlackBerry plan and no issues. You can use any smartphone with a full BlackBerry data plan, but you can't use a BlackBerry on any smartphone data plan.

09-04-10 11:19 AM
    does the bbm work if you dont have a phone contract if you buy units for your phone?
    09-04-10 11:21 AM
    Incorrect, at least in my case. I have used an android device (from T-Mo no less) on AT&T with my BlackBerry plan and no issues. You can use any smartphone with a full BlackBerry data plan, but you can't use a BlackBerry on any smartphone data plan.

Well i'm telling when i called T-Mobile to switch from my BIS plan to a standard data package i was asked what type of phone i am using. I said "it's a smartphone other than RIM" and they asked specifically what type of phone i was using so they could adjust accordingly.

09-04-10 01:54 PM
    Has anyone else been able to switch from a BB to another smartphone and use the same data package, and not have to switch with their service provider?
    09-05-10 08:52 AM
    Has anyone else been able to switch from a BB to another smartphone and use the same data package, and not have to switch with their service provider?
    See my post above.
    I have run Berry's, androids, and dumbphones on my BlackBerry data plan on AT&T without ever calling them. AT&T can tell what phone I'm using most of the time, but they have never switched me off of BIS or contacted me about it switching it.

09-05-10 09:52 AM
    Thanks Maxiang.

I did see your post and was asking if anyone else (in addition to you) has found the same.

This is the conflicting info I found when doing my searches. Some on here say it can't be done, others, like you, have found it works.
    The Bell store guy told me it can't be done.

I haven't been this confused since I saw Lady Gaga and Marilyn Manson making out [/end Family Guy flashback]

I suppose I will just have to try it. Perhaps I will just go to the Bell store and ask the guy for a Galaxy and I will throw my sim card in it. If it works, I will buy it. If not, I won't.
    09-05-10 12:52 PM

I have also done the same thing with Rogers. If you have a BB plan you can use that on any data phone, but if you have any other data plan it will not work with the BB.
    09-05-10 01:36 PM
    I have also done the same thing with Rogers. If you have a BB plan you can use that on any data phone, but if you have any other data plan it will not work with the BB.

Is that a policy with Rogers or did you just try another smartphone and it worked?

Since the Bell guy told me that it has to be a different data plan, I am not sure if I should just try a Galaxy and see (could be an expensive lesson) or if I should let them know what I'm doing.
    My concern is that it is just a glitch and they will somehow work my plan to have extra charges?

Has anyone in Canada on the Bell network done this (used BB and another smartphone on a RIM Data plan)?
    09-06-10 09:35 AM
    If you have a standard data plan, it works in all Android phones and iPhones, just as long as the phone in question has the correct APN settings.

BlackBerries, however, require special BlackBerry data plans. The nature of the plan you have will dictate if it will work in other smartphones.

If it is BlackBerry Services only, it will not work. If it is BlackBerry Servies + internet allowance (say, 500MB of internet), then it will work.

I personally find it easier to use serperate SIMs, though. You can pick up an Orange one for free, top-up 5 a month and get BIS and 500MB internet free. Not bad at all.
    09-06-10 09:41 AM
    Is that a policy with Rogers or did you just try another smartphone and it worked?

Since the Bell guy told me that it has to be a different data plan, I am not sure if I should just try a Galaxy and see (could be an expensive lesson) or if I should let them know what I'm doing.
    My concern is that it is just a glitch and they will somehow work my plan to have extra charges?

Has anyone in Canada on the Bell network done this (used BB and another smartphone on a RIM Data plan)?
    It's not policy per se, I tried it and it worked, they have also confirmed to me that it doesn't matter what smart phone you put your SIM with a BB plan in. I think that because Bell is relatively new to the whole SIM card thing, you may have talked to someone who wasn't properly educated.
    09-07-10 08:27 AM
    It's not policy per se, I tried it and it worked, they have also confirmed to me that it doesn't matter what smart phone you put your SIM with a BB plan in. I think that because Bell is relatively new to the whole SIM card thing, you may have talked to someone who wasn't properly educated.

Thanks for the comments!

I will just go ahead and give it a try.
    09-07-10 11:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD