I have both a Rogers BB 9700 and 9900, both are unlocked - will they work in Europe? We are going over there for the wife to run the Berlin Marathon - will I be able to get data service on either phone? I can take one or the other - getting BBM isn't a priority.

Also, we are also planning to go to Paris and London for a few days each - is there one SIM I can get (maybe in Heathrow) or should I be looking to buy one in each country as we go, or just forego it altogether and just use the WiFi in the hotels (that they hopefully have - I haven't booked those yet!)

Thanks,

Brian
    12-14-12 01:35 PM
    Each country in EU is a different country, so normally there are no cross Europe sims. But here are some sim only deals from UK (where Heathrow is) mobile (cellular) providers, hope this helps.
    12-14-12 01:44 PM
    I was in the UK, Switzerland and France for three weeks this summer. The simple answer is no. As an example Orange in the UK is not Orange in France so no BIS (no e-mail push) as we know it in Canada with the Canadian carriers. Just get a pre-paid sim for each country for phone/texting. I used my laptop with USB wifi adapter from Orange to do all my work stuff. This is such a PITA, I wish I could pay RIM a fee to be able to access all my e-mails through my phone like in Canada. I guess this is a carrier issue not RIM's problem.
    12-14-12 01:55 PM
    I can confirm it will work i was just in berlin yesterday. Im in germany right now using my rogers 9900. Works great on vodafone. Paid 5€ for a sim and topped up 15€ in october. Ever since i have been calling and texting. Everytime i post on here its on it or over bridge using it. Just get a sim in each country they are like 5€ each and come with 10€ of credit. I can vouch for france was there last year. Was in heathrow this august and my 9900 worked on rogers but did not buy a local sim.
    12-14-12 02:06 PM
    Vodafone UK have a deal, if you pay �3 a day you can use your UK plan abroad too, just like you'd be in UK. That means you'd only need one sim for anywhere in Europe on your trip.
    12-14-12 02:23 PM
    I can confirm it will work i was just in berlin yesterday. Im in germany right now using my rogers 9900.
    Should you NOT be in Waterloo making arrangements for BB 10 launch party?
    cjcampbell likes this.
    12-14-12 02:25 PM
    Should you NOT be in Waterloo making arrangements for BB 10 launch party?
    Not hard to do that on the go with my BLACKBERRY
    12-14-12 02:38 PM
    Thanks for the info!

So now I'm confused - should I get one from Vodafone - do you need a plan with them or is a Pay As You Go good enough - or should I just get one in each country? Also, we are only in Heathrow for less than 3 hours on the way to Berlin - can I order one in advance that will get shipped to Canada?
    12-17-12 06:34 AM