I am currently on Orange payg in the UK and am travelling to Mexico soon for two weeks.

How much extra will I be charged to receieve emails for this two weeks?, ie keep my roaming switched on.

Thanks

Thanks.
    04-27-12 02:34 AM
    That's a question best asked by Orange themselves - suffice to say it probably won't be cheap.
    04-27-12 03:05 AM
    All depends on what you're using. Contact orange for their rates on roaming. Or have the blackberry unlocked and grab a prepaid sim from movistar or another carrier in mexico. That way, you'll save money and won't have to top up too much.
    04-27-12 03:07 AM
    Orange tell me it will cost �8 per mb. That seems expensive but if I'm only checking emails every few days I doubt I will hit a mb.

As long as my roaming is switched off I should be ok.

Thanks all
    04-27-12 09:28 AM
    Orange tell me it will cost £8 per mb. That seems expensive but if I'm only checking emails every few days I doubt I will hit a mb.

As long as my roaming is switched off I should be ok.

Thanks all

It depends on your usage of emails/how many emails you receive.

If you are going say for a 4 day holiday with a usage of 1-2 MB per day.

That's £12 my friend per day. I say to put a filter on all email accounts to stop spam and try not letting attachments emailed.

Just my suggestion

Good luck.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    04-27-12 10:26 AM
    Thanks for advice.
    04-27-12 11:26 AM
    My pleasure.

04-27-12 11:21 PM
    I would turn off email push altogether and use the resort's wifi to check emails. Do you really need to get your emails immediately when you're on vacation? And if you're not on vacation, then it's a business expense anyways.
    04-28-12 05:40 PM
    Agree the last.
    04-29-12 01:01 AM
    Best thing is if they have it get a prepaid local simcard and activate bis. Thats what i do in manila. Cost me $1 per day for bis service. Cheaper than paying roaming.
    04-29-12 01:18 AM
    You'll get away with only using a few mbs if you're carefull but you'll have the luxury of being constantly in touch. All you need is to take the following steps:

Sign out of Facebook/Twitter etc
    Disable Automore in email settings, also disable download images automatically setting
    In BBM disable status and music updates, also disable music updates from contacts.

If you want to play it even safer you can reboot into safe mode which ensures all apps are completely OFF.

Do all this and you should not use more the 2-3mb.
    04-29-12 02:14 AM
    Best thing is if they have it get a prepaid local simcard and activate bis. Thats what i do in manila. Cost me $1 per day for bis service. Cheaper than paying roaming.
    It's no good if you need to keep your phone number active.
    04-29-12 02:15 AM
    It depends on your usage of emails/how many emails you receive.

If you are going say for a 4 day holiday with a usage of 1-2 MB per day.

That's �12 my friend per day. I say to put a filter on all email accounts to stop spam and try not letting attachments emailed.

Just my suggestion

Good luck.

Or you could rent an XCom global mifi for under $15 a day and get unlimited 3G data for up to 5 devices and stream movies or browse the web, get unlimited email etc. anytime of day or night..
    04-29-12 06:35 AM
    Some carriers have an international plan that you can get for a month or per day. It goes around 30-50 euros per month. It will give you email, bbm, internet browsing, etc. as long as it goes by Rim's NOC.

You must be very careful to disable all other apps. For example, Whatsapp will connect periodically to check for new messages or weaher apps will look for weather updates They will charge you for those connections aside from the international blackberry fee. I have been charged around 200 euros for that kind of connections in a 2-3 week period.

If you don't get this kind of plans, avoid the use of email. It is REALLY expensive. There are many public wifi hotspots in places like Starbucks or Mcdonalds that you can use to check your email.

You can also unlock your device for around 10 US Dollars, purchase a mexican sim from Movistar or Telcel for 5 US Dollars and setup a blackberry prepaid plan. Look for the Telcel store at the airport, on your way out if you arrive at the Terminal 2. You have options for a single day, 7 days, 15 days or 1 month. The 15 days plan goes for 30 US Dollars. This setup is made by sms so it is very straight forward.

For Telcel, you need to send an sms to the number 5050 with the single word BBI15 to activate the 15 days plan that includes 1.5 GB.

I hope this help, enjoy your trip to Mexico.
    04-29-12 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD