I am currently with O2 UK on a BlackBerry tariff, but I would like to try another phone for a few days. Can I set another phone, an HTC HD2, to use my BB tariff, so as not to incur additional data charges?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-10 11:08 AM
    You can, all that will happen is that your BlackBerry data won't see any use during the time you try a new device. No issues.
    05-03-10 11:25 AM
    Ah, but then I would incur data charges,as I would be using Mobileweb with the other phone. What I was hoping to do is use the BlackBerry data on the other phone, as I would still be paying for it.

05-03-10 11:47 AM
    In other words your current tariff won't allow you to make Direct TCP connections even with your BlackBerry?
    05-03-10 11:53 AM
    I wouldn't know how to, even on the BlackBerry, lol! Care to elaborate?

05-03-10 12:05 PM
    Interesting lol
    05-03-10 12:23 PM
    Where should I start, hard question

Basically you pay for a data plan and for the BlackBerry add-on on top of your data plan. With 'BlackBerry data' I mean data that goes and comes through the BlackBerry add-on on your account (any BlackBerry specific funcitonality like e-mail or BlackBerry Messenger uses this gateway). Regardless of this add-on you can use any phone on that account of yours, of course in this case you would then be paying unnecessary extra for the BlackBerry add-on as a non-BlackBerry device would not take advantage of it. However as you are only going to try out another device on your account this won't harm you in any way and you can get back to the BlackBerry side without issues whenever you want.

Of course there can be a slim chance where your carrier limits all data for use only with the BlackBerry add-on. I am not sure if O2 does that, however be warned that it may not be as simple as you probably would like it to be.
    05-03-10 03:27 PM
    So, I can't configure a non-BlackBerry device to use the 'BlackBerry data' bolt on that I'm already paying for? This is the crux of the matter, as I could rack up quite a hefty bill, if I was using Mobileweb as my data service, as this would be equivalent to PAYG for data, even though the calls and texts would still be included with the existing BlackBerry contract.
    05-03-10 04:25 PM
    My data plan includes all kind of data, including BIS and TCP, so I can use the BB as a modem and I can use my SIM card on other phones.

05-03-10 04:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD