Is it possible to do this on Rogers? I tether all the time on my 6gig plan rarely do i every go over 1 gig per month, i recently purchased a ipod touch and I would like to use my 9700 as a wifi hotspot to get my touch online. Is this possible to do?
    Thanks
    06-17-10 07:04 PM
    Unless the 9700 has a Wireless Access Point hidden inside... I doubt this is possible.
    06-17-10 09:06 PM
    I believe this is possible, but there is some expensive box thingy you have to buy off ebay, and then I believe you stick your sim card in there, and it acts like a mobile router, so then you could run your bb and iphone off wifi, problem is then you have no voice.

Only other way would be if it was possible to tether the iTouch to the blackberry over something but the itouch doesnt even have bluetooth so setting that up wouldnt work
    06-18-10 10:17 PM
    I tether my laptop via bluetooth. Works very well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-10 10:59 PM
    Many WiFi cards can be converted (via software/firmware) to "access point" operation, but the BlackBerry wasn't designed to be easily hackable in this manner.

However, there's another way:
    Yes, you can share your 3G SIM card among multiple devices using one of these techniques:

METHOD1: USE LAPTOP, KEEP SIM IN BLACKBERRY
    1. Bluetooth tether your BlackBerry to your laptop.
    2. Use your laptop with software to turn laptop into an access point. Windows 7 recommended.
    3. Connect iPod to your laptop (now that it has become an access point)
    (Tested: it works!)

METHOD2: USE LAPTOP INTERNET STICK, use WiFi on BlackBerry and iPod
    1. Put card into Internet Stick on the laptop
    2. Use your laptop with software to turn laptop into an access point. Windows 7 recommended.
    3. Connect iPod and BlackBerry WiFi to your laptop (now it has become an access point)
    (Tested: it works!)

METHOD3: Use a MiFi router.
    It's a just merely a battery powered portable pocket WiFi router with a SIM card slot.
    1. Buy MiFi on eBay
    2. Insert your SIM card into it.
    3. Connect iPod and BlackBerry WiFi to MiFi.
    (Other people says it works)

Be warned, since your BlackBerry won't have a SIM card in Method2/Method3, your wireless services will likely be very limited (no BIS). I recommend Method1 for BlackBerry users, and I recommend the 9700 instead of 9000, because you can use your BlackBerry's data while it's being borrowed by other 3G devices.
    Last edited by mdrejhon; 06-23-10 at 03:16 PM.
    06-23-10 03:12 PM
    06-24-10 08:49 AM
    any update on this?
    02-26-12 07:03 PM
    What update were you expecting?

The 9700 does not have the hardware necessary to be a WiFi Hotspot.
    02-26-12 07:59 PM
    oh. so how was mdrejhon getting it to work on his 9000?
    02-26-12 08:19 PM
    Method #1: laptop provides hotspot, drawing data from cell network through BB tether
    Method #2: laptop provides hotspot, drawing data from cell network through USB stick
    Method #3: MiFi router provides hotspot, drawing data from cell network through MiFi radio
    Impossible: 9700 provides hotspot, drawing data from cell network

Like SwitchBeach said, 9700 lacks the hardware and software for mobile hotspot. By comparison the 9810 launched with the necessary hardware, but the software was not available until OS 7.1.
    02-27-12 04:19 PM
    oh. so how was mdrejhon getting it to work on his 9000?
    He's not. He's using (or suggesting the use) of various supplemental hardware devices.
    02-27-12 08:05 PM
    what about tethering it somehow via bluetooth or any other method. looking to get a samsung galaxy tab would there be any way to get a connection from my 9700 to the tab so i can use the data or will i have to upgrade to a 9810/9900?
    Last edited by surfguy17; 03-10-12 at 11:24 PM.
    03-10-12 11:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD