Is the user data collected by Blackberry any different from that of Google(Android)?
    I'm talking about location, keystrokes, web browsing, history, BBM, assistant, 'diagnostics'(i've turned it off).. and so on
    A lot of times i notice my Blackberry Q10 eating away my internet bandwidth even when no apps are open(have to put down the wifi to get the bandwidth back). I see huge data getting uploaded by System, and it eats alot of battery sitting idle, just like BBM.
    Really starting to question my choice.
    Batibreaker likes this.
    03-15-15 11:34 AM
    It is a bit different in that with Google you can opt out of most of the data collection while still using Google's services. With BlackBerry, you either let them collect the data, or you don't get to use the service at all. Another difference is that Google allows their users to not only view what data they are collecting about them, but will also let them download or erase that data. The process is actually very easy. BlackBerry on the hand, does not let you view, download, opt out or erase any of the data they have collected on you.

Anyone who has a BlackBerry ID, gave BlackBerry their expressed permission to collect data such as real-time location, contacts, calendar, bookmarks, and even the contents of your personal messages. And ALL of that stored data can be shared with third parties without giving the user notification. It is all contained in the terms of service agreements.

With Google, I've deleted the data they had on me and opted out of future data collection. They still collect things I'm sure (required by law type stuff), but it has to be bettet than being an open book. I wish that it were possible to delete all of the data BlackBerry has on me, but sadly it isn't.
    Batibreaker, JeepBB, CDM76 and 3 others like this.
    03-15-15 11:57 AM
    By using BlackBerry ID, you have gave BlackBerry your expressed permission to collect data such as real-time location, contacts, calendar, bookmarks, and even the contents of your personal messages. And ALL of that stored data can be shared with third parties without your notification or permission. It is all contained in the terms and services agreement.
    I used to believe Blackberry had privacy embedded into their systems. Blackberry is getting extremely disappointing. My old curve was much more simpler that this '10' stuff.
    It's really concerning as my phone keeps my internet bandwidth busy most of the time whenever i'm home. God alone knows what the hell it keeps downloading/uploading all the time.
    Batibreaker likes this.
    03-15-15 12:08 PM
    Well, is the BlackBerry Software logging tool enabled?
    It's at the bottom of Security settings

Or diagnostics might be turned on
    03-15-15 12:15 PM
    I am not sure if this could help. Go into setting and click on security and privacy and turn off Diagnostic setting. Also go into location services and turn off traffic data collection.

Posted via CB10
    Batibreaker likes this.
    03-15-15 12:16 PM
    While Google may give you options to opt-out, you cannot say you get full access and use to all its products while also not giving data. Fact is, they are still collecting most of it, or certain functions won't work. You also need to consider things like the fact that if you are using the chrome browser you give them full access to your camera and mic, you wanna bet they can't tap into it whenever they feel like?

The other question you must ask yourself is which company do you trust more?

I trust BlackBerry to be more responsible with my data, some of it may be sold, I can accept that, if you cannot, then it's time to give up technology. But Google I do not trust, they are a marketing machine, they are collecting and analyzing your data beyond your wildest dreams, and selling your entire existence in a neat little "anonymous" package. Google has the ability to see across far more areas of your digital life, and the resources to dig far deeper, and they do.

BB for Life
    lift, R3d13, Alvin Loh and 5 others like this.
    03-15-15 01:32 PM
    Interesting how the "security" experts who constantly brow beat Google and other companies for doing these things but have no comment on Blackberry doing the same thing. Where are all of the people to defend this and say it isn't true?
    03-15-15 09:20 PM
    Google is an ad company first and foremost. Your data is used to sell more stuff be it adds or services. Apple is rumored to be in bed with the US and their spy syndicate and who knows why they want your data (I know, tin foil hat stuff). BlackBerry might be collecting, but I'll need to see what it's used for to make a decision. We do no its not for advertising, since they don't know what that is. We know it's not to collect for the feds or it would be a more popular platform.

At the end of the day, I do trust BlackBerry more than the others, but transparency is the key to keeping BlackBerry out of the book written for the others. Tabloid or otherwise.

 Posted using my powerful BlackBerry Z30 
    clickitykeys, lift, R3d13 and 4 others like this.
    03-15-15 09:38 PM
    It sucks that Blackberry does not provide users the ability to remove the data that has been collected about them. It would be better if they did.

Note, however, Blackberry and Apple are fundamentally different in that they are not as dependent on ad revenue as Google is. This difference should be obvious to anyone who does not live in a cave.

Google's attitude to data collection (versus Apple's and Blackberry's) is exemplified in Android's app installation. Apple and Blackberry ask you which services you want the app to access. Google tells you that the app is going to access the services that it needs. Thus, Apple and Blackberry allow you to opt out at installation, whereas Android opts you in by default.
    lift, Batibreaker, R3d13 and 1 others like this.
    03-15-15 09:51 PM

The other question you must ask yourself is which company do you trust more?
    You make some valid points, but this is where I differ from some users. Which for-profit company do I trust more? Where would one rather have gout: left or right toe?

There isn't a publicly traded company I trust with my privacy or overall well-being more than myself.

I respect everyone's need to trust who/what they want, but I quit believing in the fable of corporate altruism a while ago.
    03-15-15 10:06 PM
    It sucks that Blackberry does not provide users the ability to remove the data that has been collected about them. It would be better if they did.
    I believe once they start collecting that information, it will be available for your consumption and removal.
    Yes, the policy allows collection to support their services (i.e. blackberry protect) but I haven't seen reports on when they keep historical data and if you disable location settings on the device then even their protect can't get it

Personally, I believe the bigger threat is coming from 3rd party applications. You install a game and it leaks your data to their servers.
    clickitykeys and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-15-15 10:38 PM
    Apple makes their money (and LOTS OF IT) selling me their hardware. Their backend services are terrible. But iMessage is end to end encrypted.

I'm comfortable with this arrangement.

Blackberry collects all the same data every other hardware manufacturer does,...and their financial situation is untenable. So one wonders.

Two things we can be certain about....

Google collects an astonishing amount of data. But they give you a great deal of control over it if you bother to try. And they know the vast majority of users won't bother.

Blackberry in 2015 is not the same company as Blackberry in 2006, and they're getting in bed with Samsung of all entities. You know that they're the junior partner in that relationship.

I just don't know.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-15-15 10:53 PM
    Personally, I believe the bigger threat is coming from 3rd party applications. You install a game and it leaks your data to their servers.
    This! This right here!

Just taking a look inside the Blackberry app store is enough to dissuade any security conscious person from buying. Just look at all that crap! Any store that depends on cut-rate, third-world "developers" to steal API's and other intellectual property from the real players is to be avoided. Blackberry obviously makes no effort to police the situation. Who's to say they wouldn't look the other way even if they new that ridiculous "app for" you just dl'ed isn't a poor substitute for Instagram, but a really awesome keylogger!?

Yeah. No thanks.

Batibreaker likes this.
    03-15-15 11:00 PM
    This! This right here!

Just taking a look inside the Blackberry app store is enough to dissuade any security conscious person from buying. Just look at all that crap! Any store that depends on cut-rate, third-world "developers" to steal API's and other intellectual property from the real players is to be avoided. Blackberry obviously makes no effort to police the situation. Who's to say they wouldn't look the other way even if they new that ridiculous "app for" you just dl'ed isn't a poor substitute for Instagram, but a really awesome keylogger!?

Yeah. No thanks.

I agree, besides, paypal for BlackBerry forces you to consent NOT to be asked your password everytime you purchase something from the strore, IMO this is a HUGE security issue.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 01:48 AM
    Apple makes their money (and LOTS OF IT) selling me their hardware. Their backend services are terrible. But iMessage is end to end encrypted.
    I'm comfortable with this arrangement.
    Blackberry collects all the same data every other hardware manufacturer does,...and their financial situation is untenable. So one wonders.
    Two things we can be certain about....
    Google collects an astonishing amount of data. But they give you a great deal of control over it if you bother to try. And they know the vast majority of users won't bother.
    Blackberry in 2015 is not the same company as Blackberry in 2006, and they're getting in bed with Samsung of all entities. You know that they're the junior partner in that relationship.
    I just don't know.
    Why did you write that part all caps as if no one here knows they make a schit tons of money?
    03-16-15 02:00 AM
    Another difference is that Google allows their users to not only view what data they are collecting about them, but will also let them download or erase that data.
    You cannot erase your data from Google. This is a total delusion. For example, you delete an email from your Inbox and then clear out your Trash folder. Think those emails are gone? Think again.

Google has virtually permanent data retention and backups to backup their backed up backups.

As for opting out and such, just because the end-user doesn't see it, doesn't mean it's not there. Your data is still being collected and managed in one way or another.

But as others have stated, the real difference is in how that collected data is being used.
    muellerto, Tatwi and lift like this.
    03-16-15 04:47 AM
    We do no its not for advertising, since they don't know what that is.
    HAHA!! Hilarious
    03-16-15 04:48 AM
    It's really concerning as my phone keeps my internet bandwidth busy most of the time whenever i'm home. God alone knows what the hell it keeps downloading/uploading all the time.
    I can tell you something about that: your phone does 99.9% what you told him to do. It does status requests to all the social networks you are connected with, perhaps (if you don't use Push) also to your mail inboxes and so on. It does also requests to the BB software database if you have automatic updates on and it sends "diagnostic messages" if you have this on. But not much more. I checked this using my wifi-router, which logged all the traffic. The only thing I recognized which was not intended by myself was a HTTP request to the BB server exactly every five minutes to check if the connection is still there. If this request fails you get the well known message that wifi is limited. OK, maybe they do more and I didn't log it. But it's just not "all the time". And especially I don't assume that they constantly synchronize contacts and calender data in background with some servers. (This is something what BB Protect does, your decision to use it or not ...)

In my opinion RIM has no option to get under the cloud of collecting customer data. If such a suspicion would indeed harden it would be the definitive end of the company.
    03-16-15 05:41 AM
    Why did you write that part all caps as if no one here knows they make a schit tons of money?
    Emphasis added.

03-16-15 06:06 AM
    Interesting how the "security" experts who constantly brow beat Google and other companies for doing these things but have no comment on Blackberry doing the same thing. Where are all of the people to defend this and say it isn't true?
    Can you give examples.of blackberry "spying" collecting data? I'm not asking this to be condescending. BlackBerry has asked nothing from my device. ALL OF THE APPS I use I have full.control on permission settings and BlackBerry is the only platform that has allowed me to do this. Private browsing is really private browsing...no history, cookies anything lives on my phone after I close it. I never get pop up ads on my phone...again this is the only platform I have used where 80% of marketing does not touch my phone. BBM has a timer and is better than snap chat...when I'm chatting with someone on BBM...I never see an ad, unless I go into.the "feeds" section...but even there the Ads ARE NOT targeted to me, my shopping habits or my specific device. NO app I have gets my contacts...because I DID NOT give permissions....and yet my apps all work. BlackBerry does not scan my emails and send me targeted ads...Google does...that's how they make their money. So please,educate me. Picture password cannot be cracked...you can stand right over me looking at me do it...and you still won't figure it out. HUB...can handle my 300 contacts, 3 different emails, text and BBM...and does it faster. I don't use whatsapp or Facebook or Twitter or instagram because they sell your privacy for a living...almost to the point of asking for blood or a stool sample. Nobody with an iPhone or Android can walk past and scan by RFID to get my phone info. I don't not have to install third party Apps for security such as lookout mobile security or avast because Blackberry has it built in...wrong password device is wiped automatically. I get home, plug it into link and my info is back....my info does not live on Google cloud...it lives on my computer through link. BlackBerry cannot restore my apps and contact info over the air if I call them, they don't keep my info on some server in india...not that anything is wrong with india...but I'm just sayin. My data is on my PC...link just facilitated it. Apple magically restores ALL your info and apps including contacts and so does google...all over the air and from a cloud. Whereas you need link or blend to do this on the Blackberry. This is just a short list...I am too tired and too lazy to go into all the security features of a blackberry....all I can say is if you don't use one...you don't know how it works.

bℯ��ℯř ฬ�ђ bℓ�ckbℯřřɣ
    TheAuthority, lift and faab like this.
    03-18-15 02:55 AM
    Can you give examples.of blackberry "spying" collecting data? I'm not asking this to be condescending. BlackBerry has asked nothing from my device. ALL OF THE APPS I use I have full.control on permission settings and BlackBerry is the only platform that has allowed me to do this. Private browsing is really private browsing...no history, cookies anything lives on my phone after I close it. I never get pop up ads on my phone...again this is the only platform I have used where 80% of marketing does not touch my phone. BBM has a timer and is better than snap chat...when I'm chatting with someone on BBM...I never see an ad, unless I go into.the "feeds" section...but even there the Ads ARE NOT targeted to me, my shopping habits or my specific device. NO app I have gets my contacts...because I DID NOT give permissions....and yet my apps all work. BlackBerry does not scan my emails and send me targeted ads...
    Friend, you ignore the server side completely. What do you know about what RIM servers do in background and what your device sends to them in background? Did you realize that RIM asks for your email account's password before (!) the account is configured on your device? Did you realize that every BBM chat goes over RIM's servers?
    I don't not have to install third party Apps for security such as lookout mobile security or avast because Blackberry has it built in...
    A BB device has nothing built in, at least nothing more than every other phone has. A BB device is just in the lucky situation not to be a device for the masses. Sure you have to install 3rd party software for encryption and security.
    I get home, plug it into link and my info is back....my info does not live on Google cloud...it lives on my computer through link.
    And is Link on your Windows PC or Apple secure? Are you sure? What does Link with your contacts and your calender data? And what do other software parts on this computer with Link's data?

I don't want to confuse you. But most of this security talk is just still based on confidence. And RIM has this convidence, still, it's their capital.
    03-18-15 03:46 AM
    Friend, you ignore the server side completely. What do you know about what RIM servers do in background and what your device sends to them in background? Did you realize that RIM asks for your email account's password before (!) the account is configured on your device? Did you realize that every BBM chat goes over RIM's servers? A BB device has nothing built in, at least nothing more than every other phone has. A BB device is just in the lucky situation not to be a device for the masses. Sure you have to install 3rd party software for encryption and security. And is Link on your Windows PC or Apple secure? Are you sure? What does Link with your contacts and your calender data? And what do other software parts on this computer with Link's data?

I don't want to confuse you. But most of this security talk is just still based on confidence. And RIM has this convidence, still, it's their capital.
    So wrong on so many levels, but rather than just continuing to type...

http://bizblog.blackberry.com/2014/0...s-of-security/

http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-s...gins-endpoints

Is this what you guys do at night...come on to a Blackberry site to tell people that your Apple s and Droids are so great? the links above prove you wrong on all counts...yet again. But I'll tell you what, I'm just going to keep enjoying my BlackBerry...while your downloading the latest ghost hunting app and giving away all your contacts info...

bℯ��ℯř ฬ�ђ bℓ�ckbℯřřɣ
    03-18-15 04:58 AM
    Is the user data collected by Blackberry any different from that of Google(Android)?
    I'm talking about location, keystrokes, web browsing, history, BBM, assistant, 'diagnostics'(i've turned it off).. and so on
    A lot of times i notice my Blackberry Q10 eating away my internet bandwidth even when no apps are open(have to put down the wifi to get the bandwidth back). I see huge data getting uploaded by System, and it eats alot of battery sitting idle, just like BBM.
    Really starting to question my choice.
    Run this: BBVE app... and it will give you and idea of what is using what. I found that closing active frames closes programs...may not be the case but it works with my z10, I'll check it out on my Passport more and report back. I do know that most if not all BlackBerry apps...you can go into settings and turn everything off as far as permissions and the apps still work...with the exception of maps...which needs location. I trust Chen more than I do google or apple...finger prints and nude celeb pics in the cloud is never a good thing. Also...if you use Facebook, Twitter or instagram....those company's bread and butter comes off your info...so it may have nothing to do with BlackBerry servers. Google scans emails...are you using Gmail? corporate people don't send sensitive info over google for obvious reasons. I can't tell ya what to do one way or another...I can only share what works best for me. there are ways to lock any device down, but if all else fails....when I was using apples and droids I always used aliases and a different password for ever app I registered with and pre paid sims...so even if anything was traced..."who was using my device, it wasn't me"" I don't know, I picked up the device on Craigslist etc" they make it harder, but there are a million ways to stay private. BlackBerry allows me to lock down my device easier than any I have used...and I used iPhone 4 and galaxy s3 about a year and a half ago before coming back to Blackberry.

bℯ��ℯř ฬ�ђ bℓ�ckbℯřřɣ
    03-18-15 05:23 AM
    Friend, you ignore the server side completely. What do you know about what RIM servers do in background and what your device sends to them in background? Did you realize that RIM asks for your email account's password before (!) the account is configured on your device? Did you realize that every BBM chat goes over RIM's servers? A BB device has nothing built in, at least nothing more than every other phone has. A BB device is just in the lucky situation not to be a device for the masses. Sure you have to install 3rd party software for encryption and security. And is Link on your Windows PC or Apple secure? Are you sure? What does Link with your contacts and your calender data? And what do other software parts on this computer with Link's data?

And server? What server? My home computer is my server as far as Web and email which is startmail.com ( NSA can't even get into that) BBM and my phone are both encrypted...HUB is just software that organized it...they don't read it, there is no recovery option on there end. Now, I'll admit...I don't use BES yet, so I don't have a reference point on that. But secusuit is available to public now if I really wanna stay even more private.

bℯ��ℯř ฬ�ђ bℓ�ckbℯřřɣ
    TheAuthority likes this.
    03-18-15 05:29 AM
    Is this what you guys do at night...come on to a Blackberry site to tell people that your Apple s and Droids are so great?
    Where did I talk about Android or Apple stuff? I never had something like that. I never defended them, why should I??? - The rest of your many words is a lot of hot air, as we say, tldr.
    03-18-15 05:38 AM
124 123 ...