I'm going to Europe via the States for the holidays and want to get the new Blackberry Style in the US. I have a Pearl on the Fido plan right now, will the Style work on Fido? I read about unlocked phones, are all phones that are not attached to a carrier unlocked? What do I need to look out for?

Thanks so much!
    11-28-10 04:35 PM
    Fido is a GSM network and the Style is a CDMA phone, it doesn't use a SIM card. The Fido network is completely incompatible with the Style, it will never work.
    zuma022 likes this.
    11-28-10 04:41 PM
    THanks for your prompt reply, ridesno159. I didn't know there were different networks incompatible, I thought that was just speed and stuff.
    Too bad. Do you think there will be a flip phone for GSM eventually?
    Which Canadian carries have a CDMA network?
    11-28-10 04:53 PM
    Only Telus and Bell will be carrying the Style.. I believe it will be only CDMA.
    zuma022 likes this.
    11-28-10 05:00 PM
    Thanks. I guess I'll have to think about switching then.
    11-28-10 05:08 PM
    I just did some googling, if I were to get a CDMA BB Style, would it not work in Europe?
    11-28-10 05:13 PM
    I just did some googling, if I were to get a CDMA BB Style, would it not work in Europe?
    Most likely, it would not work in Europe. Most European carriers are GSM. You might get lucky and find a CDMA carrier, but it would be pretty uncommon. I have friends who travel to Europe and switched from VZW to AT&T so they could use their phones in Europe after getting them unlocked (regular cell phones, not smartphones).
    zuma022 likes this.
    11-28-10 07:10 PM
    most cdma carriers dont allow cdma phones from other cdma networks so thats always a problem too. for example, if u got the sprint style and unlocked it and tried to use it on telus, even though its possible their system wont allow it.
    11-29-10 01:59 AM