Hello all

Simple question: Can I use a Q-10 with software 3.2 update to primarily text and occasionally make calls in the USA?

Longer question: Basically I work dozens of hours a week on a computer and want to reduce my "screen time" the only thing I dont want to lose is texting friends/ family and occasional calls.

I had a hoped I could get a Q-10 to either operate when I am on wifi or purchase a basic phone plan with limited data. Any success with web sites for texting and calls when on wifi? Or possible an an app that does not use the mighty masters of iOS and Android, but I could still text / call friends without Blackberry messenger? Finally a carrier that may take this phone. Yes I know I should have done more research ahead of times but have not given up yet!.

I realize this is "newby" question but appreciate in advance if any with lot of knowledge could help me out...I have been researching but hitting dead ends. (google Fi and At&T turned me down) (few text apps I tried from web only take the 2 main platforms.)

ok thanks again. Ima keep trying.....
    10-11-19 12:12 PM
    As someone who's had to "downgrade" to a Classic since I recently broke my Passport on vacation, I can say that you should be fine for the foreseeable future.

The Q10 is a great device for the most basic items such as calls, text and emails. It's got a great feel in the hands and is a durable device.

Where I think a lot of people might find trouble heading into 2020, 2021 etc will be on some useage for those years.

As we head into the next decade the band's that the phone uses for 3G/4G might be getting reduced , parts, batteries and keyboards might be harder to find and fewer and fewer people will use SMS. I do a lot of SMS but I also see a lot of the benefits of the internet based applications such as WhatsApp, Viber, Messanger etc. It's getting harder and harder to have people solely send you an SMS in a lot of ways. People want to send videos, larger files etc and it doesn't work well on SMS.

This all being said, if calls, texts and emails work, I don't think you will have any issues and will enjoy the change of pace, I know I do. Feels great in the hands too!!

Posted via CB10
    darbz232 likes this.
    10-11-19 12:36 PM
    Hello all

Simple question: Can I use a Q-10 with software 3.2 update to primarily text and occasionally make calls in the USA?

Longer question: Basically I work dozens of hours a week on a computer and want to reduce my "screen time" the only thing I dont want to lose is texting friends/ family and occasional calls.

I had a hoped I could get a Q-10 to either operate when I am on wifi or purchase a basic phone plan with limited data. Any success with web sites for texting and calls when on wifi? Or possible an an app that does not use the mighty masters of iOS and Android, but I could still text / call friends without Blackberry messenger? Finally a carrier that may take this phone. Yes I know I should have done more research ahead of times but have not given up yet!.

I realize this is "newby" question but appreciate in advance if any with lot of knowledge could help me out...I have been researching but hitting dead ends. (google Fi and At&T turned me down) (few text apps I tried from web only take the 2 main platforms.)

ok thanks again. Ima keep trying.....
    What do you mean AT&T turned you down? If your device is either the correct factory unlocked variant or the carrier locked AT&T model, it should be fine to insert AT&T SIM card as the Q10 just uses standard plan.

Other than SIM card adapter if different size, my AT&T SIM could power any of my AT&T BB10 hardware.
    10-11-19 02:20 PM
    What do you mean AT&T turned you down? If your device is either the correct factory unlocked variant or the carrier locked AT&T model, it should be fine to insert AT&T SIM card as the Q10 just uses standard plan.

Other than SIM card adapter if different size, my AT&T SIM could power any of my AT&T BB10 hardware.
    It sounds like the OP wants to use a basic (non-smartphone) plan for his Classic. That isn't possible.

OP, am I correct here?
    10-11-19 02:36 PM
    Yeah you'll need a
    - full smartphone plan with the Classic.
    - A Classic that matches the bands of the Carrier you choose (AT&T... make sure it is an AT&T Classic) Google Fi tends to only support current and "popular" phone.
    - internet based applications such as WhatsApp, Viber, Messanger etc.... that's were things get tricky, BB10 is limited in what apps it can run today and with it stuck in 2013, who know how long apps will keep working. The ETC might be an issue... WhatsApp and Messenger for now do work.

Calls and text... will be just fine on the Classic, but if you need more traditional smartphone features like apps. And your wanting a keyboard, a newer Key device provides more compatibility and future proofing.
    10-11-19 02:46 PM
    It sounds like the OP wants to use a basic (non-smartphone) plan for his Classic. That isn't possible.

OP, am I correct here?
    It sounds like OP doesn’t have compatible hardware. AT&T will allow AT&T carrier locked or factory unlocked Q10 on network using $25/month prepaid account with no data plan. This will allow talk and text and email or browsing will be on WiFi only. OP will only need the correct SIM for the Q10 size tray.

This could actually be done with Android/iOS phone too. If budget is the issue, AT&T prepaid Android version Alcatel devices can also be set up this way.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-11-19 05:41 PM
    yes. great for those purposes. loved mine.
    10-11-19 06:48 PM
    Thanks all for feedback....I got whatsapp to work...good call...but had to go into setting and say " allow not know software to run" ....or a phrase close to that which made me nervous. But still looking for an app that I can send messages to family who may not have technical experience to have a special app" to text me on.....I got the phone as unlocked At&t siad IEMI number was not supported?

I got whats app running on WIFI ....my next step is to try a SIM card from cricket....see how that goes...if anyone has interest will reply with success / or lack of

take care all
    10-11-19 10:49 PM
    Just want to keep as simple as possible....no need to check if apps and social media are compatable...
    just trying to accomplish 2 things

1. test friends and family....with not extra apps /downloads on their end
    2. make a call in my home country (USA) for decent cost

I got the BB Q-10 to accomplish this as love the keyboard, and size.
    10-11-19 10:54 PM
    The Q10 is a great little phone, even at 6 years old if you don't require certain apps. I find that it does all I need it to do, and has the bonus of freeing up time that I would have otherwise wasted on a phone with all the apps available. I don't carry my keyone anymore evenings and weekends. Very liberating.
    Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.3216

Posted via CB10
    darbz232 and mh1983 like this.
    10-12-19 11:12 AM
    Yes this is basically my goal. I ended up getting a MIint SIM will report how it operates

thanks
    10-12-19 08:01 PM
    As a short update:
    Got a mint mobile SIM for my BB Q-10
    texting working fine, but cant make calls reliably yet...internet seems to say --> update your APN...but im researching what that means....any help on update my APN so I can make calls would be great.

thanks all
    10-18-19 04:43 PM
    I am just looking to make calls and text...If can check a website thats a bonus.....I have a Mint mobile card In....I can usually text but calls drop even though says in top right 4GLTE and at home 2-5 bars.....internets seems to say I need to "update my APN" but im not sure what that means.

take care
    10-18-19 05:02 PM
    We've recently resurrected a couple dozen 9900s on ATT in response to VZW's cdma sunset. No problems what so ever. Still a great, super compact, voice-text-email communicator with pretty crippled, but partially usable in a pinch, web functionality. Thanks to Opera Mini. ATT biz rep seemed legitimately happy to have us back. . Our BB10 stuff, (Q's, Z's, P's & C's) are still as flawless as ever on ATT... Where ATT coverage is adequate.

We do frequent locales where ATT is pretty useless due to coverage limitations compared with VZW. If coverage is adequate, ATT is working fine for us. Our LE's get used as backup on VZW for where ATT can't reach. If all of that makes any sense before coffee? Lol.

Since I haven't experienced many issues with ATT, sorry, no clue what "update APN" means in your case. Curious, tho...???
    10-25-19 07:47 AM
    It's asking for an APN because you haven't set up your cellular data connection. Sometimes that happens automatically. Sometimes it doesn't.

Here are some instructions for getting to the settings pages: https://www.apnsettings.org/canada/b...or-blackberry/

But don't use the settings on that page.

Your APN settings for Mint Mobile can be found here: https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=wIkRNM3E
    10-25-19 11:44 AM