Hi,
    first post in here, got my 8820 today

There is only one provider here where I live that offers BB services. The provider that I normally use don't.

Today went to the provider offerering BB services and got my subscription and bought a 8820. Must say I'm generally pleased with my choice.

Now, since my primary number is another provider (with whom I have an unlimited data plan) can I use the simcard of that prov and keep my BB service with the prov offering it? Tried switching Sim card and forcing APN in Settings/Advanced/TCPIP but phone didn't register on BB and didn't want to force re-registration.

Any hint?

Thanks,
    Ka.
    02-25-08 04:24 PM
    You will have to get a plan with the new provider and lose the old plan as you cannot have 2 plans from different providers on the same phone.

You should however be able to keep your number if you get your current number 'ported over to the new provider.
    02-25-08 04:28 PM
    Thanks, the point is that I don't want to port my number nor change provider. Just use one provider BB service (if possible) on my other prov Sim Card and Data plan subscription. Or is it APN dependant etc?

Ka.
    02-25-08 04:31 PM
    Is your phone locked to one provider?
    02-25-08 04:33 PM
    Branded yes, tried another sim and wasn't locked
    02-25-08 04:35 PM
    Theoretically I suppose you could do what you want to do but when you use the sim from the provider that the BB plan is NOT with then you will not get all the BB features when you put that sim into the BB but you MAY be able to access the net with it (and make calls & texts)

It sound like it will be very complicated though and you will be forever changing cards.
    02-25-08 04:41 PM
    Silly question, is the BB service APN dependant?

Ka.
    02-25-08 04:44 PM
    Silly question, is the BB service APN dependant?

Ka.
    No its not. Although some 3rd party applications may require APN settings.
    Last edited by Hazysky; 02-25-08 at 04:56 PM.
    02-25-08 04:48 PM
    As it's not APN dependant, what should I change to have my phone to register with different SIM than BB service providem SIM?

When I switched SIM I could use the phone but BB service wasn't connected.

Thanks for your help,
    Ka.
    02-25-08 05:07 PM
    You will not b able to connect that sim to the BB service at all. The only way that sim would work would be if the Bb service was added to that sim.

I hope I am explaining this ok.
    02-25-08 05:11 PM
    Your post is very clear but since I'm a total newbie some points are still unclear to me.

Not being able to use BB service on a "foreign" sim means that the BB service is not APN dependant (I could use any service provider APN) but it checks the SIM card I'm using against the BB service subscription I have?

In my dreams thought the BB service was working as any kind of subscription, with userid and password, like my PIN and a server address to connect to, independant from the Internet Provider I was using, meaning that once my phone had been registered, I could have used a different SIM and it's Data Plan to connect to the BIS server I was paying to the other provider.

Now I feel I was wrong with my assumption.

Ka.
    02-25-08 05:17 PM
    Yes I am afraid so as the BB service is done through the SIM and not the phone per se.

No doubt If I am wrong someone will come along and correct me.

I am sorry that I could not have given you more positive news.
    02-25-08 05:22 PM
    My knowledge on BB is "blank" and you've been of precious help.

In case somebody really comes to correct you, we'll both have learned something.

Thanks a lot,
    Ka.
    02-25-08 05:29 PM
    With BB there is something new to learn every day!!.

Welcome to CB Ka. Stick around as there is lots to read which will help you learn all about Blackberry and especially your 8820. There are lots of great people here.
    Last edited by Hazysky; 02-25-08 at 05:35 PM.
    02-25-08 05:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD