Just curious is there already an adapter in existence that will allow me to plug a USB into my Z10 to access movies, etc. I thought I saw an article or an ad about such a creation somewhere in Crackberry. Now that I've searched I can't find any reference to it. Real or just wishfull thinking?Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 07:13 PM
    That only works for Z30. Other devices don't have USB OTG capability.
    Ecm likes this.
    03-10-14 07:20 PM
    That only works for Z30. Other devices don't have USB OTG capability.
    Thanks for catching that. Could have sworn it said Z30 a moment ago... ???
    03-10-14 07:25 PM
    Well guys thanks for the prompt responses. I wasn't dreaming after all. Too bad it only works for the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 08:24 PM
    Well bb promised that USB otg was coming, along with wifi-direct to the z10. Not only did it not get those things, but no radio either. The z10 is the lineup's redheaded stepson. That it was once priced at 600 bucks shows you how out of touch the previous management was.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 09:46 PM
    I don't think they promised it was coming specifically for the Z10 - just that it was coming. Kind of a cop-out, but what can you do.
    03-11-14 10:05 AM
    Well bb promised that USB otg was coming, along with wifi-direct to the z10.
    They never said these were coming specifically to the Z10.

Most smartphones don't support USB OTG because they don't have big enough batteries and can't handle the amount of current that a USB stick draws. Only a few phones with BIG batteries (Galaxy Note series, Z30, RAZR MAXX, etc.) support it, as well as some tablets. That's simply a hardware limitation.

WiFi Direct is also a hardware limitation in the Z10. The Z10 was designed with older hardware because it was supposed to be released 6+ months earlier than it was, and the hardware doesn't support WiFi Direct and a few other things that later BB10 devices support.
    03-11-14 12:31 PM
    WiFi Direct is also a hardware limitation in the Z10. The Z10 was designed with older hardware because it was supposed to be released 6+ months earlier than it was, and the hardware doesn't support WiFi Direct and a few other things that later BB10 devices support.
    I don't think its a hardware limitation at least in regards to CPU/GPU as Android devices from the original Galaxy Nexus support Wifi Direct. Perhaps BB10 uses a separate hardware authentication mechanism than Android.
    03-11-14 12:51 PM
    I don't think its a hardware limitation at least in regards to CPU/GPU as Android devices from the original Galaxy Nexus support Wifi Direct. Perhaps BB10 uses a separate hardware authentication mechanism than Android.
    It's a problem with the single-channel WiFi chipset on the Z10. All other BB10 devices use a different chipset that supports WiFi Direct.
    03-11-14 01:37 PM
    It's a problem with the single-channel WiFi chipset on the Z10. All other BB10 devices use a different chipset that supports WiFi Direct.
    That's sad. It looks like CB thought Wifi Direct was on Z10 even tho Miracast wasn't
    03-11-14 02:37 PM
    That's sad. It looks like CB thought Wifi Direct was on Z10 even tho Miracast wasn't
    Right. The chipset is also the reason Miracast isn't supported, while it is on other BB models. Again, the Z10 was intended to be released a long time before it finally was - the launch was pushed back several times internally, and twice publicly. The components for it would have been sourced well over a year before its final release.
    03-11-14 08:57 PM