Hello Community!
    I will be in USA soon and would need my BlackBerry push email with me. I have a Vodafone Contract in Germany but they would charge me 50c for 50kb there for roaming data.

Now I heard that there are things like prepaid-BlackBerry cards and so. Could I just use one of those cards in my BlackBerry for one month or so?

How does the prepaid BlackBerry card work? Does anyone have info on that?

Best,
    -Fabian
    Fabian Heuwieser (FabianMH) on Twitter
    06-13-09 02:37 AM
    I would rely on WiFi hotspots.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-09 03:18 AM
    get a contract lol
    06-13-09 03:37 AM
    Not sure about your phone but you must go to a theme park (six flags, disney,bush gardens, or carowinds, etc etc)
    06-13-09 04:06 AM
    Depends on the areas you want to go, really. Given that you're only here for 6 days, a 2-year contract sounds a bit extravant. Perhaps finding a prepaid of some sorts. Like Legacy says 2 posts above me, It'd probably be best to look for wi-fi hotspots, they're all over the place.

Plus, which phone do you even have? You have 3 listed, and I'm assuming only one is coming abroad. Off the top of my head, I do not know of any national carriers which offer pre-paid BB data plans, required for the push e-mail. All in all, I say good luck, and let us know what comes up!
    06-13-09 05:04 AM
    Yeah- contract wouldn't be worth it. I would also rely on the WIFI and just stay away from using your phone except when you need it. If you are on business here, just have your company pay for the charges, that's what I do... if you are on vacation- leave the phone at home and enjoy the vacation
    06-13-09 08:17 PM
    On a trip, that GPSlogger app would be cool, you can log everywhere you go, export the data to KML, load it into google earth and show exactly where you went and when. And enable geotagging for the camera so you automatically have a record of where pictures were taken.

It seems like there would have to be a short term access option but I've never looked for one, so I can't give you any direct info. Check out the websites for US carriers, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc
    06-13-09 10:37 PM
    T-Mobile US offers Blackberry prepaid plans. You can choose a bundle of minutes package and then add a Blackberry data plan (unlimited). I was in a simular situation where I only needed the service for a month. It was some time ago but I believe the sim card was $25.

I do not have enough post counts to link the pages put they are on t-mobiles US web site under shop>plans and the data package is under internet and email.
    09-03-09 02:10 AM
    Is this /the/ fabian??

09-03-09 02:18 AM
    Talk with Verizon. Verizon and Vodaphone are friends.
    09-03-09 03:26 AM
    Is this /the/ fabian??

haha who is 'the' fabian?
    09-03-09 03:32 AM
    Vib and ring guy?

09-03-09 03:50 AM
    I was thinking T-Mo as well. My daughter was on leave from Iraq and didn't want to re-activate her AT&T cell phone for the short time she was back. She just went to T-Mo and got a pre-paid SIM.
    09-03-09 08:45 AM
    I 3rd T-Mo. They're the only carrier I know that offers a BB plan without having to be locked in to a contract via their Flexpay deal. I know plenty of people who have it. I even used it for a few months before deciding to go back to post paid.

09-03-09 08:59 AM
    I wouldn't do a contract nasty things could happen if you do that and don't cancel properly plus I think you need a north American address just do the prepaid thing if it is offered and some people have posted it is

09-03-09 09:10 AM
    Vib and ring guy?

haha yes thats me. but you can also call me LaterDude-guy haha.
    09-03-09 02:38 PM
    Agree, just get the BlackBerry prepaid bundle at many Best Buy locations or a SIM card from Tmobile
    09-03-09 02:51 PM
    Omg omg!

Becausw I recognized your awesomeness and already bought vib and ring, could I get a free copy of launchpad?

Hey, its worth a try..

09-03-09 03:37 PM
    Ah well, I did try :P

09-04-09 12:37 PM
    Hi there everybody / Hallo Fabian ,

i got to face the exact same situation this year when it's time for my yearly 3 weeks vacation in good old vegas.

The former years HTC PPC's were the companions which i used with prepaid cingular or newly AT&T Wireless Data plans for emails, sms etc. No Probs in this case of usage and always very satisfied.

Cause since a few weeks i own a Blackberry Bold 9000 on a vodafone BIS contract as well it comes to my mind "mmhh... how do i use my bold in vegas with all of it's given features".

After a short search on crackberry this thread was found and also the mentioning that T-Mobile US is selling Prepaid BB-Plans on monthly basis.
    But after quite some trying on tmo com i don't get it right.

As i read this here i had in mind that i can go to tmo com and order just a simcard and assign the data option of my choosing during the ordering process. But tmo wants me to buy a phone and voice plan as well

So to make long story short

Can somebody give me a step by step direction on the following...

How do i order blackberry internet service on a prepaid or monthly based plan without signing a 2 years contract. Cause like Fabian i'm a german resident and not able to sign such contracts in the U.S. even if i want to.

Or can't i just buy this SIM-Activation Package they are selling and activate blackberry internet service afterwards on it.

To the people who used this already... How did you bought it. Via Internet or in a shop and did you bought it with one of these "damned" phones ?

Greetz and thx for your patience
    09-10-09 05:19 PM
    Aynone a clue for me ?
    09-14-09 12:47 PM
    RE UP

im in the same boat come next month

travelling to the USA for 10 days and dont want to get nailed $120 canadian for 200 minutes and 100mb data for usa.
    02-12-10 02:04 PM
    I would say pre-paid. Att tmo both have prepaid sim cards available via the web and physical stores. When i travel to sprint-less areas for work i have a tmobile sim for my tour.
    02-12-10 02:34 PM
    where about in the US Fabian?
    02-13-10 10:44 PM
    For the few days you are roaming, just accept the roaqming data charges. If you are doing mostly email it will be cheaper and less trouble than trying to setup a short term service. If you are staying somewhere with free wifi use that as much as possible.
    02-14-10 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD