Hi, I'm currently located in the UK, and over the summer I'm going to be in America. I'm going to be taking a BlackBerry with me, and I'm thinking its going to be best to use a US sim card due to needing data services, whereas if I use a UK sim it will cost a bomb!

I'm just looking for a Pay As You Go type sim with data that will work in New York, Las Vegas and Los Angeles. I will be sending texts back to UK/e-mails/BBM and a bit of Facebook. Just wandering what sort of sim card I should use? And if any of the carriers do specific sims for BlackBerrys sort of like they do here in the UK so that data is included. Preferably on a 3G network too?

Cheers.
    01-27-11 07:45 AM
    ehhh...try going Month-to-month on AT&T...your only best bet..because on T-mobile you'd only get EDGE, unless your BB somehow supports AWS 3G
    01-27-11 07:49 AM
    If you unlock your phone Here
    you can get a sim card from the US.
    i would not recommend getting data because it will suck in the US as you will not be able to get on the BIS. You can however text and use internet if you use bolt.. I think.
    01-27-11 07:50 AM
    ehhh...try going Month-to-month on AT&T...your only best bet..because on T-mobile you'd only get EDGE, unless your BB somehow supports AWS 3G
    Wouldn't month-to-month be like a contract? In that case I wouldn't beable to because I'm sure you have to pass some US credit check type thing.

If you unlock your phone
    you can get a sim card from the US.
    i would not recommend getting data because it will suck in the US as you will not be able to get on the BIS. You can however text and use internet if you use bolt.. I think.
    Thats what I want. A US sim...the phone will definitely be unlocked so it's just a case of getting the right sim.

I have found the AT&T Unlimited for $75 which give 200MB of data and free international text messaging?
    01-27-11 08:34 AM
    Wouldn't bet on the free International Texts part.

Don't forget in the US they charge for receiving texts, couldn't believe that when I moved over here.

Just use BBM when you can as that is free, my main way of communicating with my family at home.
    01-27-11 09:00 AM
    Ohhh forgot.

Go with AT&T. They are the only 3G network you can use.

T-Mobile have AWS, Sprint & Verizon....well their networks aren't compatible either.
    01-27-11 09:07 AM
    AT&T does not currently offer BlackBerry Data on pre-paid.

TMobile is your only option in the US currently.

Look at the Even More Plus plans.
    Heavy Fluid likes this.
    01-27-11 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD