I switch to BB after my Treo 630 (my goodness that phone was a nightmare for me) and I never look back. Like many us who are on blogs sites like this one we are more technology informed than the rest of the consumers that go off of hear say.

With that being said are I/we wrong in the assumption US market are not trendsetters. The US market is a market that trends mostly off of eastern world trends. From our current reality shows X-Factor, Idol, Big Brother, to movies, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Let me in, La Femme Nikita, the list goes on. Most of our popular actors and actress or either Canadian or European not to mention news anchors and media reporters... (I for one was blown away when I found out Hugh Lurie is European). Need I mention that the very clothes we are so stricken by are mostly by European designers? How about transportation; Honda has been the number one import and top selling car in the US for years not to mention the top car on car thieves lists. (I maybe wrong but a thief is not going to steal a car if there is no demand or money for it)

Technology for the most part is more advance and further along in other countries than it is here in the US. Nokia native country of Finland leads the world in that retrospect. Don�t get me wrong US are heavy contenders in technology but they, for the lack of better terminology are not trendsetters or over the top innovators. The US has become such a country of importing and consumptions that it has fallen more and more to European trends for its daily course of life. Many patriotic Americans will think I�m wrong and bias in my opinion on this matter but I can only reply to that as; do your own research and monitor the trends in your daily life, see how much is American made or American influence. Do these with an open mind then revisit the point I'm trying to convey.

RIM for the most part at this POINT doesn�t need the US market it needs the European market. Follow this scenario if you will Fashion Week London 2013 a well known designer is illustrating his line up to American counterpart while at the same time he's has his office conference in as well as viewing and replying to a email order. All of this is possible with a QNX OS. Now this American counter part will look at his smartphone of choice and be like, is that really a blackberry? Thus a new blackberry trend is conceived. And who will follow suit in this trend slowly but surely???

Economically a successful smartphone in the European market will generate more money for this Canadian base company than the weak dollar of the U.S. Not to mention Asia a country which thrives off technology and they are a billion plus let's do the math a billion plus!!! If RIM can get these two markets (Europe and Asia) engulf in BB10 than as history shown us America will follow suit.

That's why I say BB10 doesn�t need the U.S. market from the gate but America will soon need and want BB10 when the rest of the world starts to look at their current mobile OS's as a thing of the past in regards to QNX.

Has anyone else looked this from my point of view or am I flapping in the wind here? I am curious to see the responses..
    07-03-12 01:31 PM
    I think it all depends on the product/celebrity/movie/sport.

Many things that originated in Europe and Asia are popular in the US, but other things are not.

We will be enjoying fireworks tomorrow, which were invented in China many centuries ago. However, most Americans don't bother following Association Football, which is so popular in Europe that it sometimes leads to riots.
    07-03-12 01:48 PM

Many things that originated in Europe and Asia are popular in the US, but other things are not.

We will be enjoying fireworks tomorrow, which were invented in China many centuries ago. However, most Americans don't bother following Association Football, which is so popular in Europe that it sometimes leads to riots.
    Cheap Shot .
    07-03-12 02:00 PM

Football is the world's pass time while Baseball is America's pass time......in my opinion there's alot more action in Football(soccer) than sitting through a baseball game watching grown men spit and scratch themselves....
    mud314 likes this.
    07-03-12 02:20 PM
    Football is the world's pass time while Baseball is America's pass time......in my opinion there's alot more action in Football(soccer) than sitting through a baseball game watching grown men spit and scratch themselves....
    Baseball seems to be more popular in Asia and Latin America now than in the US.

American football is more popular than baseball in the US. Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > While Gap Narrows, Professional Football Retains Lead over Baseball as Favorite Sport
    07-03-12 02:27 PM
    07-03-12 02:35 PM
    Thank god I live in India. Indians don't riot over petty things like sports. We are more mature. We riot over real issues like food shortages or no electricity
    Jean-luc_Picard and mud314 like this.
    07-03-12 02:38 PM
    Thank god I live in India. Indians don't riot over petty things like sports. We are more mature. We riot over real issues like food shortages or no electricity
    Good thing you live in india because BB10 needs to be in every household there to start the trend so these americans can catch on....
    07-03-12 02:58 PM
    OP. Being a Brit and having moved to Canada in 1987 you are spot on with your evaluation. Emerging markets is where RIM is very strong, that is where the profit will come from. This has been the case for many large US firms that have seen their growth outside the USA. This is no different for RIM. The US is in decline that is a fact as can be seen by the growth of China and India as an example. In Europe German is a powerhouse and leading all of Europe.

RIM will survive quite well without the NA market growth. I am not saying this market is not important to RIM, it is. Focus on where the biggest returns will come from and that is exactly what they will do to secure shareholder value in the future.
    Last edited by bigbadben10; 07-03-12 at 03:08 PM.
    roderickwill likes this.
    07-03-12 03:01 PM
    :facepalm: Although I agree that RIM would benefit from focusing on other markets, I think you are naive to think these other platforms don't have presences in non-North American countries.

Also, I'm pretty sure people don't buy droids and iPhones because someone in a different country started the trend. I would be willing to bet people buy them because they want to do "cool" things on their smartphones, and the BB AppWorld doesn't really have the support for most applications.
    07-03-12 03:11 PM
    I know that BlackBerry is dying in US, but here in the Philippines, BlackBerry is currently booming, I guess same goes to other emerging countries as well.

I have question, will it help RIM if they pull off all there US marketing efforts and put it in other countries where they are strong? Like pull off their stores, promotions and stuff and let the US carriers promote BB?

In other words, why not spend more money in countries which give them more profit? They are trying too hard to market themselves in US where they are being bashed and killed the most.

Let them focus on the countries where they are strong or growing and make their user base even strong. Few problems I have with BlackBerry in the Philippines.

Scenario #1:
    Let's say here in the Philippines, there are a lot of Apple stores here, I mean you can see it in every mall and we have like a hundred malls in the Metro Manila, but a BlackBerry store? Not one in the whole Philippines.

Scenario #2:
    One of the few downside of owning a BlackBerry even to it's official carrier, partner or distributor, when BlackBerry is broken, they need to ship it to either Hong Kong or Singapore in order to fix it, com'on that will take at least month! You'll be lucky if the carriers will give you the same unit replacement but I guess that's for their high-paying customers.

While on the other hand, when I broke my MacBook Pro, I can go to the nearest Apple store and have it fixed within the week.

Scenario #3:

BlackBerry became popular here in the Philippines because of word of mouth. My cousin bought his first BB 9700 last 2010, and I thought BlackBerry was an expensive phone. After a month, my cousin bought me a BB 9700. My initial reaction was "Meh" Then after 2 weeks of using it for call and text, a friend of mine told me about BIS and was blown away with it's feature.

While on the other hand, when Steve Jobs announce the iPhone news scattered around Metro Manila like wild fire. People know it's all it's feature. They lack marketing.

There are other way RIM can do in order to survive while developing BB10. In my own opinion, RIM needs to focus on other countries rather than trying to please US market. I agree that US Market is an essential to success and growth, but US is not the only market in the whole wide world.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by aloofkid; 07-03-12 at 05:59 PM.
    renzokuken.tan likes this.
    07-03-12 03:20 PM
    You can't generalize one way or the other. Trends travel all around the world in all directions now. In this industry, things like GSM and 3G were popular outside of the US before becoming popular in the US. But on the other hand, if you look at the history of Blackberry, the BB brand itself became a major force in the US and Canada years before it did in other countries. Likewise with the iPhone and Android. It's also still true that American users download a lot more apps than other countries so far.

As for BB10, it needs to become popular in any country where the profit margins are good. That is (literally!) the bottom line, and that is step one to the recovery.

Much has been said about BB popularity in emerging countries. That's all fine and good, but RIM's financial statements clearly and unequivocally show that strategy isn't making them as much money as before and has put them solidly against the ropes.
    JBenn911 and kingest_kong like this.
    07-03-12 03:33 PM
    Better than any science fiction novel I have ever read. You are flapping so hard your feet must be 5 feet off the ground. Not need the US market? The number one market in the world? Where they sell more iPhones per hour than RIM sells per month, and that may be low. QNX, what real place, from what real person, makes you believe it will ever see the light of day. OS10. Over a year late already. The new CEO genius putting out BS press releases like Obama. God, I gotta get off this thing.

I switch to BB after my Treo 630 (my goodness that phone was a nightmare for me) and I never look back. Like many us who are on blogs sites like this one we are more technology informed than the rest of the consumers that go off of hear say.

With that being said are I/we wrong in the assumption US market are not trendsetters. The US market is a market that trends mostly off of eastern world trends. From our current reality shows X-Factor, Idol, Big Brother, to movies, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Let me in, La Femme Nikita, the list goes on. Most of our popular actors and actress or either Canadian or European not to mention news anchors and media reporters... (I for one was blown away when I found out Hugh Lurie is European). Need I mention that the very clothes we are so stricken by are mostly by European designers? How about transportation; Honda has been the number one import and top selling car in the US for years not to mention the top car on car thieves lists. (I maybe wrong but a thief is not going to steal a car if there is no demand or money for it)

Technology for the most part is more advance and further along in other countries than it is here in the US. Nokia native country of Finland leads the world in that retrospect. Don�t get me wrong US are heavy contenders in technology but they, for the lack of better terminology are not trendsetters or over the top innovators. The US has become such a country of importing and consumptions that it has fallen more and more to European trends for its daily course of life. Many patriotic Americans will think I�m wrong and bias in my opinion on this matter but I can only reply to that as; do your own research and monitor the trends in your daily life, see how much is American made or American influence. Do these with an open mind then revisit the point I'm trying to convey.

RIM for the most part at this POINT doesn�t need the US market it needs the European market. Follow this scenario if you will Fashion Week London 2013 a well known designer is illustrating his line up to American counterpart while at the same time he's has his office conference in as well as viewing and replying to a email order. All of this is possible with a QNX OS. Now this American counter part will look at his smartphone of choice and be like, is that really a blackberry? Thus a new blackberry trend is conceived. And who will follow suit in this trend slowly but surely???

Economically a successful smartphone in the European market will generate more money for this Canadian base company than the weak dollar of the U.S. Not to mention Asia a country which thrives off technology and they are a billion plus let's do the math a billion plus!!! If RIM can get these two markets (Europe and Asia) engulf in BB10 than as history shown us America will follow suit.

That's why I say BB10 doesn�t need the U.S. market from the gate but America will soon need and want BB10 when the rest of the world starts to look at their current mobile OS's as a thing of the past in regards to QNX.

Has anyone else looked this from my point of view or am I flapping in the wind here? I am curious to see the responses..
    07-03-12 03:53 PM
    China's the #1 market,1 billion vs 300 million in the us.
    07-03-12 04:04 PM
    Technology for the most part is more advance and further along in other countries than it is here in the US. Nokia native country of Finland leads the world in that retrospect. Don’t get me wrong US are heavy contenders in technology but they, for the lack of better terminology are not trendsetters or over the top innovators. The US has become such a country of importing and consumptions that it has fallen more and more to European trends for its daily course of life. Many patriotic Americans will think I’m wrong and bias in my opinion on this matter but I can only reply to that as; do your own research and monitor the trends in your daily life, see how much is American made or American influence. Do these with an open mind then revisit the point I'm trying to convey.
    Excuse me, I'm not trying to be a "patriotic American"; but your stance regarding the United States and technology is abhorrently wrong. The United States doesn't set "trends" so much as "dictate" the entire direction of computing!

Let me give you a very quick list of why you are incorrect: Microsoft, Apple, Google, Oracle, IBM, Cisco Systems, etc. etc. As a consumer, you may be unable to recognize the pattern of these companies. (You are definitely not a worker in the industry or, otherwise, you would not make this completely upside down assertion.) These are all software companies. The US conveniently has a near 100% stranglehold of computing software. As a matter of fact, practically every computer in the world is running an American OS and using American websites.

So as you can see, if Americans don't like RIM or Nokia, they really stand no chance at all; because, as soon as phones became more computer like, everything the United States says goes. After all, a computer is not a computer without any software.

P.S. To be fair to the rest of the world, China does have some burgeoning software companies; but, most of them such as Baidu or Tencent are pretty much just American company copycats at the moment. One day, China may be a viable US competitor; but, not today. Bear in mind that literally no US nation other than China has much of a software industry.

When it comes to computers, the US writes the software and designs the hardware. Asia also designs the hardware as well as manufactures hardware. Europe sits on the side idly sipping their tea and doing nothing particularly useful.
    07-03-12 04:06 PM
    :facepalm: Although I agree that RIM would benefit from focusing on other markets, I think you are naive to think these other platforms don't have presences in non-North American countries.

Also, I'm pretty sure people don't buy droids and iPhones because someone in a different country started the trend. I would be willing to bet people buy them because they want to do "cool" things on their smartphones, and the BB AppWorld doesn't really have the support for most applications.

Not being Naive by any standard of the word but you have failed to realize the point I'm trying to convey. In other countries people don�t sit on their bums and watch who did what to whom on some reality TV show. Nor do they send fart apps or play games while they�re trying to get through their work day. In other countries for the most part the culture of an android base phone or Iphone doesn�t meet the cultural needs of most eastern countries therefore when a universal blackberry is introduce it flies off the shelves quicker than an Iphone.

Side note I am a gamer and one of the most popular games out for all systems is Call of Duty. While you're playing call of duty it gives a global map of who is on and what country they are gaming from. Almost any time of the day its completely blanked green (ppl whom are on) in North America as oppose to any other country in which the game is sold. A friend and I spoke about that and found it interesting even meeting gamers in other countries and hearing their thoughts about it and they would say yes the game is there its fun but it can keep you from getting out enjoying life if you're not careful. Sure there is work to be done but the Iphone or Android is there with an app notice which they have to check so often (no red light blinking to let them know btw) and check they do leaving work at a stand still.

As Kevin posted when the Iphone was introduce productive in corporate America went down each yr. In retrospect when the blackberry was introduce to corporate America productivity increased by leaps and bounds. Now you taking that same device and introducing it to new emerging countries and what do you think will happen?
    Not only that but you give them a device that increase productivity but a kick OS that's light years ahead of the game and what will happen.. I new world mobile trend....As little as they are bb still has American followers and still the most complete productive mobile device for the world.
    07-03-12 04:12 PM
    North America is one big, some times happy bowl of different people, cultures, religions, ideals, etc...

Also, you really think RIM doesn't need the NA market? really? If that were true, why would RIM be doing so bad now, when theyare succesful over seas, but not so much in NA?
    brucep1, kbz1960 and kingest_kong like this.
    07-03-12 04:15 PM
    Not being Naive by any standard of the word but you have failed to realize the point I'm trying to convey.
    Maybe you're not conveying it very well.
    07-03-12 04:24 PM
    Excuse me, I'm not trying to be a "patriotic American"; but your stance regarding the United States and technology is abhorrently wrong. The United States doesn't set "trends" so much as "dictate" the entire direction of computing!

Let me give you a very quick list of why you are incorrect: Microsoft, Apple, Google, Oracle, IBM, Cisco Systems, etc. etc. As a consumer, you may be unable to recognize the pattern of these companies. (You are definitely not a worker in the industry or, otherwise, you would not make this completely upside down assertion.) These are all software companies. The US conveniently has a near 100% stranglehold of computing software. As a matter of fact, practically every computer in the world is running an American OS and using American websites.

So as you can see, if Americans don't like RIM or Nokia, they really stand no chance at all; because, as soon as phones became more computer like, everything the United States says goes. After all, a computer is not a computer without any software.

P.S. To be fair to the rest of the world, China does have some burgeoning software companies; but, most of them such as Baidu or Tencent are pretty much just American company copycats at the moment. One day, China may be a viable US competitor; but, not today. Bear in mind that literally no US nation other than China has much of a software industry.

When it comes to computers, the US writes the software and designs the hardware. Asia also designs the hardware as well as manufactures hardware. Europe sits on the side idly sipping their tea and doing nothing particularly useful.
    Fact America is not own by Americans a vast part of America is own by China one of the Financial Cities in the world isnt even own by the U.S. NYC a great part of NYC is own by China. Why because America is so far in debt it doesnt own much of the bright lights in which they showcase to the world.

Next didnt M.S. go to court for being a Monopoly thus wouldnt that mean noone else in any country had a chance to develop a O.S. or processor so like the old saying goes give a man a fish he will depend on you every day teach a man to fish he can eat for himself. The american computer age only gave out fish which is in turn is becoming a stale taste in the emerging countries. If America computer tech was so great why is QNX running on banks computers, ATM's, Medical Equipment, military droids, high end cars, the camara system of Europe?

To date hackers have been trying their best to hack the QNX system with no resolve and you say that the constantly hacked(i was pisst when my ps3 was hacked) ps platform will take over the mobile platform ahead of QNX? What are you smoking I want a hit?

I put all my chips on QNX against your systems. Let's see who wins.
    07-03-12 04:37 PM
    Fact America is not own by Americans a vast part of America is own by China one of the Financial Cities in the world isnt even own by the U.S. NYC a great part of NYC is own by China. Why because America is so far in debt it doesnt own much of the bright lights in which they showcase to the world.

Next didnt M.S. go to court for being a Monopoly thus wouldnt that mean noone else in any country had a chance to develop a O.S. or processor so like the old saying goes give a man a fish he will depend on you every day teach a man to fish he can eat for himself. The american computer age only gave out fish which is in turn is becoming a stale taste in the emerging countries. If America computer tech was so great why is QNX running on banks computers, ATM's, Medical Equipment, military droids, high end cars, the camara system of Europe?

To date hackers have been trying their best to hack the QNX system with no resolve and you say that the constantly hacked(i was pisst when my ps3 was hacked) ps platform will take over the mobile platform ahead of QNX? What are you smoking I want a hit?

I don't quite know where this thread is going
    07-03-12 04:39 PM
    North America is one big, some times happy bowl of different people, cultures, religions, ideals, etc...

Also, you really think RIM doesn't need the NA market? really? If that were true, why would RIM be doing so bad now, when theyare succesful over seas, but not so much in NA?
    And this is where the op logic lacks. If the us market isn't important and necessary why are they struggling?
    JBenn911 and kingest_kong like this.
    07-03-12 04:40 PM

You should have been honest and just stated from the beginning that you have a bone to pick with the USA.

No need to mask anti-American rhetoric behind smart phone sales. Somewhat disingenuous of you. Don't you think?
    shaleem likes this.
    07-03-12 04:44 PM
    ok I'll bite. What geographic part of th US is owned by china? And which American city is owned by china?
    07-03-12 04:44 PM
    You should have been honest and just stated from the beginning that you have a bone to pick with the USA.

No need to mask anti-American rhetoric behind smart phone sales. Somewhat disingenuous of you. Don't you think?
    I think he is mad that, according to the numbers, Americans don't really care about Blackberry phones like they did 3+ years ago, and it's hurting RIM.
    07-03-12 04:46 PM
    You can't generalize one way or the other. Trends travel all around the world in all directions now. In this industry, things like GSM and 3G were popular outside of the US before becoming popular in the US. But on the other hand, if you look at the history of Blackberry, the BB brand itself became a major force in the US and Canada years before it did in other countries. Likewise with the iPhone and Android. It's also still true that American users download a lot more apps than other countries so far.

As for BB10, it needs to become popular in any country where the profit margins are good. That is (literally!) the bottom line, and that is step one to the recovery.

Much has been said about BB popularity in emerging countries. That's all fine and good, but RIM's financial statements clearly and unequivocally show that strategy isn't making them as much money as before and has put them solidly against the ropes.
    I agree the profits fell off because they became stale in the country where they had the most financial success in. Now they've seen the error of their ways and have a strong introduction following in new countries like they once did when introduce to the NA market. Now is the time for RIM to take those new get a stronger base with them and with that I believe a reverse trend will happen.
    What I mean by reverse trend is first NA was RIM's cashcow its almost dried up but RIM has new world markets that are more interested in their tech so cater a little be more to those markets get stronger numbers than what they currently have and we "hope" NA will follow the trend because let's face it with RIM having a global presence sorry a successful global presence us 300mill in NA will start to take notice.
    07-03-12 04:51 PM
81 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD