I didn't know who he was until searching for him on Google. I read a little, but I don't really see the connection. Perhaps I missed something. Assuming he goes about his business legally, lawfully and morally though, I am sure his counterparts monitoring his conversations will have no issues.

Moreover, I mentioned "most of us". If my Government wants to listen to my highly interesting conversations, I don't have a lot to hide and this really was my point. They don't really care about most of us going about our daily lives. Surely they're after "los terroristas"?

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 12:46 PM
    1) I still do not understand, why it is offensive to suppose that US citizens like Benjamin Franklin's quote because he himself was one.
    Please tell me why this is offensive.

In short, because you impute that someone MUST think a certain way BECAUSE they are a citizen of a particular nation - apparently because you need to make such assumptions to attempt to support your other presupposition, which is also incorrect.

"I see why you like that quote...." is, on its face, an offensive assumption that ignores a plethora of OTHER possible reasons why someone might like a particular quote, makes NO effort to even query the person so-accused WHY THEY ACTUALLY like a particular quote, so that you can go back to casting aspersions on some group of people primarily because they are citizens of a certain nation.

Like I wrote previously - for people who spend a lot of time in places like this where the inane chatter is FAR more plentiful than the deeply insightful commentary, to single-out as "boring" the usage of a quotation which, in my opinion as I wrote previously, is actually unusually well-written and succinct (and thus, highly quotable), suggests that it is not so much a matter of "boring" as a matter of disagreeing with the premise of the quote, and therefore being agitated at seeing it widely repeated.
    06-13-13 02:22 PM
    ?????,??????????????

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 02:45 PM
    Can't type in Chinese?

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 02:47 PM
    In short, because you impute that someone MUST think a certain way BECAUSE they are a citizen of a particular nation - apparently because you need to make such assumptions to attempt to support your other presupposition, which is also incorrect.

"I see why you like that quote...." is, on its face, an offensive assumption that ignores a plethora of OTHER possible reasons why someone might like a particular quote, makes NO effort to even query the person so-accused WHY THEY ACTUALLY like a particular quote, so that you can go back to casting aspersions on some group of people primarily because they are citizens of a certain nation.

Like I wrote previously - for people who spend a lot of time in places like this where the inane chatter is FAR more plentiful than the deeply insightful commentary, to single-out as "boring" the usage of a quotation which, in my opinion as I wrote previously, is actually unusually well-written and succinct (and thus, highly quotable), suggests that it is not so much a matter of "boring" as a matter of disagreeing with the premise of the quote, and therefore being agitated at seeing it widely repeated.
    I have no idea what assertions I made about Americans, but please, continue to put words in my mouth that I have never said.

I may also refer to another post of yours, where you admitted that the quotes form Shaw and Roosevelt also go into the direction of B.Franklin's quote.

What I do not understand, is why you bring up the disagreement part over and over again, even though your reading comprehension skills should be good enough so that you can understand the fact that I neither do really disagree with the quote nor does it upset me in any way.
    The only one who seems upset, is you...

Not to forget, that the quote is neither an axiom, nor that our values may have changed in the last centuries because of new technologies.
    What is acceptable and what isn't is yet to be defined.

And in a time, where people give insights into their private lives on FB, Instagram, Twitter, etc, the outcry for better privacy seems rather cynic, as the population apparently does not care enough.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 10:26 PM
155 ... 567