It's going to be a very exciting battle between RIM and Microsoft for the 3rd ecosystem!

Despite some launch hiccups with Windows 8 and its related devices, Microsoft has received a smashing bit of news in the form of a new $617 million licensing agreement that will bring the fledgeling OS to 75 percent of US DoD personnel. The deal also includes Office 2013 and Sharepoint 2013 Enterprise, and will let users access the software "from any location, and any supported device, while taking advantage of enhanced security," according to Redmond. Microsoft added that the agreement was "the most comprehensive" it's ever signed with the sprawling government arm, which plans to use the software for a wide range of priorities from cybersecurity to mobility. Meanwhile, the software giant is working to achieve the coveted, though highly unwieldy-sounding "Army Golden Master and Air Force Standard Desktop Configuration" compliance for Windows 8

US Department of Defense signs three-year, $617 million Windows 8 licensing deal
    01-04-13 07:22 PM
    This makes sense. Microsoft is as American as Apple Pie. Makes perfect sense for especially the DoD to go with the home team.
    01-04-13 07:25 PM
    It will be an exciting battle, but this particular deal has nothing to do with phones. They're talking about desktop and server software, as well as office and sharepoint products. See the original story: Defense.gov News Article: DOD Awards First Joint Licensing Agreement
    01-04-13 07:26 PM
    Why is this here?
    What else was the DOD going to do?
    Go all in with imac.
    Masahiro likes this.
    01-04-13 07:29 PM
    It will be an exciting battle, but this particular deal has nothing to do with phones. They're talking about desktop and server software, as well as office and sharepoint products. See the original story: Defense.gov News Article: DOD Awards First Joint Licensing Agreement

The quote that caught my attention was "will let users access the software "from any location, and any supported device" which I take as Microsoft trying to get there foot in the door with Windows 8 phones in the long run.
    01-04-13 07:29 PM
    The quote that caught my attention was "will let users access the software "from any location, and any supported device" which I take as Microsoft trying to get there foot in the door with Windows 8 phones in the long run.
    I think that's in reference to sharepoint, which I believe is compatible with most Blackberry devices, as well as ios android and windows phone
    Drew808 likes this.
    01-04-13 07:33 PM
    I think that's in reference to sharepoint, which I believe is compatible with most Blackberry devices, as well as ios android and windows phone
    Aha...I stand corrected; thanks for the link. It seems that they will work with a variety of vendors to develop products.
    01-04-13 07:49 PM
    I'm looking forward to seeing BB10 integration with existing QNX military systems.
    01-04-13 07:52 PM
    I'm looking forward to seeing BB10 integration with existing QNX military systems.
    That'd be neat, but nearly impossible. Existing military systems wouldn't have the wireless bridge capability built in. Future products though, could be very interesting.
    01-04-13 07:54 PM
    You mean being able to launch a nuke via your Blackberry?

"Oops! I swear, I thought I was sending a BBM"
    01-04-13 08:02 PM
    This deal only includes Windows 8 (desktop, laptop, tablet, touchscreen ultrabook), NOT Windows PHONE 8.
    Jtaylor1986 likes this.
    01-04-13 08:07 PM

Whoops! Sorry, Toronto!
    01-04-13 08:08 PM
    what other options do they have? ubuntu???

going by the defence spending cuts mac pros might be out of question then
    missing_K-W likes this.
    01-04-13 08:22 PM
    I wonder how much RIM can hustle with QNX.
    01-04-13 08:49 PM
    On the subject of desktop-only operating systems, this article is 100% IRRELEVANT.

OP: Please use better discretion in the future.
    01-04-13 08:58 PM
    Shall we play a game?

Its the W(OPER) class BB10 phone, only for enterprise use
    01-05-13 10:15 AM

when Ping goes wrong
    01-05-13 10:31 AM