I am with Verizon and eligible for a NE2 discount. This works out to me getting any Blackberry for free except the Storm ($99). I have narrowed my choices to Curve 8330 or Storm.

I am a BB virgin, never used one before but I know I need it now. I will be using it for email and websurfing (I travel a lot so it's to keep in contact as well as use features like Google maps, navigation programs, read news etc). A strong internet connection and call quality are important to me.

I've read a lot of the posts here debating Curve or Storm (in which Curve invariably wins) but a lot of those were quite old and I wanted to see if the upgrades had made any difference to the Storm (and if you think it's work $99 more than the Curve).

As for typing, I don't know if I have a preference to a physical keyboard or a touchscreen (will be going to try them out at the store before I buy), but I am a female with pretty slender and agile fingers if it helps.

Thank you very much in advance!
    Last edited by Icey6; 04-17-09 at 12:26 PM.
    04-17-09 12:20 PM
    I love my Curve, don't know much about the Storm.
    04-17-09 12:23 PM
    I got my curve about a month ago. While I am still learning about it, I think it is an awseome fone !!!!! HOWEVER, I know nuthing about the Storm.
    04-17-09 12:32 PM
    if your a frequent user of google maps as i am, i would highly recommend the storm, the screen size is such a huge difference for when your looking at satellite view, the clickable touch screen is just something that takes getting used to .. but thats not hard, when you get the storm, your most likely gonna want to upgrade to a leaked os, it comes with .75 if you know what that is and i just recently put .113 on mine and my roommates storm, and it works incredibly better, .75 is not bad, just the upgrade makes things work a little smoother, as far as call quality and internet connection goes, ive never had any problems with either on my storm.

Anywayz hope this helps, PM me if you have any more questions,

Kyle
    04-17-09 12:35 PM
    Are these upgrades free and easy to do? I'm pretty inept in these matters!
    04-17-09 12:37 PM
    I originally got a Curve. I had 3 replacement phones sent to me as i was having problems with reception and dropped calls on all 3 handsets. I got so fed up with the Curve that Bell ended up sending me a Storm.

Since i have had my Storm i have had much much better reception and have not had any dropped calls. Take it for what it is worth as it might have only been my bad luck. I found it strange how that same thing happened on all 3 Curves. The Storm for me is much much better. Especially with the upgraded software (.122).
    04-17-09 12:38 PM
    reason why i bought a bb device is coz of the qwerty keyboard. otherwise i could have just bought an android based device such as htc (am into open source platform).

EDIT: oh and welcome to cb forum! hope you'll have a pleasant ride
    Last edited by squish101; 04-17-09 at 12:52 PM.
    04-17-09 12:41 PM
    I'm thinking Storm for you, it has better GPS and the web experience is better due to the much bigger screen. Where the Curve outshines us is typing because of the physical keyboard, BUT the way you have described your hands I think you could easily adjust to and use the Storms on screen keyboard. Long nails (longer than normal for a girl) MIGHT be an issue.

Yes you will need to upgrade the OS for the best Storm experience, it's not THAT hard to do, and folks here (like me for example) would be glad to help you.

You can't go wrong getting the Curve either, BUT from what you've said so far you sound like an ideal candidate for the Storm.
    04-17-09 12:43 PM
    I love my Curve! All around reliability, functionality and ease of use. I'm not fond of the storm from my current experiences. My lady also has the Curve and with her limited BB knowledge its does everything she wants it to and hardly ever comes to me with questions.

Hope this helped.
    04-17-09 12:45 PM
    Even though I think the Storm's prettier, I really love QWERTY & cant do the "clickable" touch screen.
    04-17-09 12:46 PM
    Are these upgrades free and easy to do? I'm pretty inept in these matters!
    Yes the leaked OS updates are free. As far as easy to do, if you follow the instructions word for word it is pretty safe. Don't get me wrong, I was scared to death(and still am) as a lot of people are and I didn't do my first upgrade until .109 and I've had my Storm since Nov 21st. Since then I have upgraded to .113 and I'm very happy with it. I've loved my Storm since day one, even with the .65 & .75 OS. But the phone is so much more fun with .109 and later.

Get the Storm!
    04-17-09 12:54 PM
    Even though I think the Storm's prettier, I really love QWERTY & cant do the "clickable" touch screen.
    well said cate

so are you on your way to checking out newly opened threads and informing the thread opener that such a thread already exists and to do a search first? well you hafta gimme some credit coz I already done bit part doing that every now and then, lessening a wee bit of your burden along the way
    04-17-09 12:58 PM
    I'm a female with slender hands and I have no trouble typing on the Storm. It takes some adjusting, for sure, but you adapt pretty quickly.

That said, if the absolute highest possible typing speed is critical to you, you'll likely type a bit faster on the Curve. (I don't, because I don't use a Curve so I suck at typing on one, lol. But in general.)

One bonus is that you don't get the sore fingers as much on the Storm like you can with physical keyboards!
    04-17-09 01:05 PM
    Haters! LOL jk
    04-17-09 01:12 PM
    I'm a male with fat stupid hands and I love the storm. There's a learning curve but it's brief.

I have not upgraded and I believe works pretty darn good the way it is. No disrespect to those that have. There are some pretty tech savy people around here who will always want to tweak their devices no matter what.

That being said i can type just as fast with the storm as with a keyboard (on a phone of course).
    04-17-09 01:17 PM
    I don't do copious amount of typing (now that I've said that I'll probably need to type a really long email in the near future :P) but I was worried about Storm's "hang ups" when typing (delays?) and freezing. Is that issue fixed with the new software upgrades?

What about the call reception between Storm and Curve, is it about the same with the same network?

Finally, is the internet capability of Storm significantly faster? I don't love the way some webpages look on the Curve (the paired down "phone internet" version), will I have the same results with the Storm?

Thanks again everyone for your responses, they've been very informative and helpful. Based on the older messages I'd read before posting I was most likely going to go with the Curve but I am now considering the Storm.
    04-17-09 01:43 PM
    wait 1 month and get the niagara.

if you can't wait, i vote curve. qwerty ftw.

-cow
    04-17-09 01:53 PM
    I don't do copious amount of typing (now that I've said that I'll probably need to type a really long email in the near future :P) but I was worried about Storm's "hang ups" when typing (delays?) and freezing. Is that issue fixed with the new software upgrades?

What about the call reception between Storm and Curve, is it about the same with the same network?

Finally, is the internet capability of Storm significantly faster? I don't love the way some webpages look on the Curve (the paired down "phone internet" version), will I have the same results with the Storm?

Thanks again everyone for your responses, they've been very informative and helpful. Based on the older messages I'd read before posting I was most likely going to go with the Curve but I am now considering the Storm.
    Well, you can always choose to have it identify itself as Firefox or Internet Explorer, which will prevent sites with mobile versions from giving you that version of their site.
    04-17-09 02:09 PM
    you'll definitely be happier with the storm once you install a good OS and spend some time with it. mine was my first berry and i switched back and forth from the curve only cuz of the software issues. now that i have a great running OS on it i couldn care less about having the curve, although it is a great lil phone, but im a stormie all the way.
    04-17-09 03:06 PM
    First BB....get the Curve. Let the Storm's OS catch up with it's Hardware.
    04-17-09 04:57 PM
    Curve or wait for the new one. The curve is much more stable phone. I don't like touch screens tried the storm out and hated it. Maybe you should go to a verizon store and try both out and decide for youreself what one would be better for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 05:26 PM
    Doesn't VZW disable the GPS on all BBs except Storm? GPS functionality is a major feature so you should check carefully if maps and location services are important to you.
    04-17-09 05:41 PM
    wait 1 month and get the niagara.

if you can't wait, i vote curve. qwerty ftw.

-cow
    One month? Are you sure of that? Seriously, both are great devices! I absolutely LOVE my Storm though! My wife is actually waiting for the Niagra.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 05:49 PM
    Hi All! Thanks very much for the help! I ended up getting the Storm. I went to the store and played around with both phones for about an hour. I'm fine with the typing - I made about as many mistakes on the Storm as I did on the Curve and the large screen and ability to view videos and websites in much more detail made a difference. If I REALLY hate it I have you to help me fix it or I can return within 30 days

I do have a question though -> is insurance worth getting? It's 5.99 a month, quite a lot, do you find it useful? Thanks!
    04-17-09 06:45 PM
    I absolutely think the insurance is worth it. I have the $5.99 one too.
    04-17-09 06:57 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD