Just wondering what happens to service books when upgrading an OS.

Reason:

I purchased a used BB Bold, and currently only subscribe to BIS data. I am able to use BES and BIS. I have provisioning on the BB for BES (must be from previous owner). I don't want to lose the provisioning.

Does this mean I should never upgrade OS?

TIA
    10-07-09 12:50 PM
    Was your Bold given to you by your company? I believe the provisioning is something handled by the IT department of whatever company issues the phone, and they can add the provisioning at whatever time they want to. I'm not really sure to be honest, but if it's a company issued BB, I wouldn't upgrade your OS, as that's almost always handled by the IT dept.
    10-07-09 01:31 PM
    No, this is a personal BB that I am using with my work BES. I am in tight with our IT person so can do whatever. I'm more concerned with losing any service books with upgrading and not being able to access the BES due to my data package with my provider. Currently I'm only supposed to be able to access BIS.
    10-07-09 01:41 PM
    I see... same rules apply as any other BES user then.
    No Upgrades.
    More-so in your case because you can't just ask the BES admin to re-register your Berry.
    10-07-09 03:42 PM
    But does upgrading an OS wipe the phone? I have no problem with my IT re-adding me to the BES. She is a 30 second walk away from me.

My understanding is that my carrier provides provisions to the phone in order to enable BES. Hence the added charges for BES data plans, as opposed to BIS only data plans. What I want to do is to keep all service books currently on my phone, even during an update to the OS.
    10-07-09 04:06 PM
    No, it doesn't wipe the phone, but it may interfere with your ability to use the BES. It might alter settings, or conflict with something in the current setup.
    If your IT girl can re-add you, then why can't she re-send the service books too?
    10-07-09 04:54 PM
    I thought carriers sent service books? Isn't that why carriers have BES specific and BIS specific data plans? BES ones always cost more.
    10-07-09 05:23 PM
    It shouldn't matter as long as your company will readd you. Check with your IT person about readding you to the bes.

I upgrade OS's all the time on work devices - mostly older ones to get Docs To Go and video on the 8330s, but I have never had any problems at all.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 10-07-09 at 07:29 PM.
    10-07-09 07:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD