1. Bigpoint's Avatar
    I have an Curve 8530 that is just about 2 years old. I will be eligible for an upgrade next month, assuming of course that I sign up for another 3 year contract. Now here comes the question. Do I upgrade now and get an OS 7 device, probably a Bold 9900 or do I wait for the OS 10 devices to come out later this year. You see I really want to get another BB with a real keyboard. Although I have a Playbook I am not a fan of touch screen typing and I send a fair number of emails and text msg. Are there any advantages to OS10 (that are known or likely) over OS 7 when it comes to connecting to the PB?

    Thoughts, comments greatly appreciated,

    Pat
    03-11-12 07:53 PM
  2. LMG1963's Avatar
    Debating the same here. Thinking I am gonna try to hold on the 9800 till os10..but it is difficult. Wife has 9790 and os7 is much faster than os6 . She always teases when we are tethered to our playbooks just how much faster hers is
    03-11-12 09:19 PM
  3. pcguy514's Avatar
    when i upgraded to my torch 9800 the difference was great compared to my old curve. I could only imagine it being even better with a OS7 device, i haven heard of a confirmed keyboard yet for bb10 (might have slider after london). So im not sure about if id wait considering you want a keyboard.
    03-11-12 09:32 PM
  4. Alex_Hong's Avatar
    If I were in your shoes, I would wait. 3 years is a long time if you do not wish to pay full price for a newer bb10 phone later on. but the thing is that, there are basically nothing about a bb10 with physical keyboard. There are only leaked road map and rumours. But nothing concrete just yet. Whether it will ever be made is still anyone's guess.

    In terms of functionality, it is still hard to tell just yet. Since no one really know what bb10 will be like. Bbos 7 is already superb in this area, since it has been developed and improved on for years.

    But the thing is that, on a QNX os like my playbook, I can install applications without any worries, I don't have to keep checking my application memory to see if there are memory leaks. Granted that on bbos 7, I have yet to see any memory leaks yet. But there is still this habit from older os that makes me keep checking it. Basically offers me a peace of mind.

    But that said, bb10 has to at least match bbos 7 in terms of functionality.

    I would advise to hold out a little longer, since blackberry world is coming up soon. See if there are any more news about bb10, before you decide anything.

    My 0.2 cents.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Bigpoint likes this.
    03-11-12 09:35 PM
  5. ronnel.gacutana's Avatar
    If your wife is laughing at you because her tethering is faster, just be patient and wait for the BB10 phones. Dont ever think of BB10's keyboard because RIM will never remove their trademark qwerty keyboard, there will always be a new blackberry with a qwerty keyboard.

    Here in the Philippines, we call other qwerty phones as BBwannabe simply because these keyboards originated from Blackberries.
    03-11-12 09:56 PM
  6. guzprom's Avatar
    I have an Curve 8530 that is just about 2 years old. I will be eligible for an upgrade next month, assuming of course that I sign up for another 3 year contract. Now here comes the question. Do I upgrade now and get an OS 7 device, probably a Bold 9900 or do I wait for the OS 10 devices to come out later this year. You see I really want to get another BB with a real keyboard. Although I have a Playbook I am not a fan of touch screen typing and I send a fair number of emails and text msg. Are there any advantages to OS10 (that are known or likely) over OS 7 when it comes to connecting to the PB?

    Thoughts, comments greatly appreciated,

    Pat
    If you have the extra cash.. buy it now, then sell in secondary market when OS10 comes out and it seems like a great phone, otherwise wait for awhile.
    03-12-12 06:23 AM
  7. hondateg91's Avatar
    I have an Curve 8530 that is just about 2 years old. I will be eligible for an upgrade next month, assuming of course that I sign up for another 3 year contract. Now here comes the question. Do I upgrade now and get an OS 7 device, probably a Bold 9900 or do I wait for the OS 10 devices to come out later this year. You see I really want to get another BB with a real keyboard. Although I have a Playbook I am not a fan of touch screen typing and I send a fair number of emails and text msg. Are there any advantages to OS10 (that are known or likely) over OS 7 when it comes to connecting to the PB?

    Thoughts, comments greatly appreciated,

    Pat
    Why not sell your Curve and get a used phone from craigslist? This way you can hold out on your upgrade till BB10 drops. Just a thought
    03-12-12 07:50 AM
  8. mmcpher's Avatar
    I already have a 9900 that works very well with my PlayBook. But if you've held on this long, why not hang in there awhile longer, at least until we get a better look at the BB10 specs and the form factors of the new phones? Right now, there is no phone on the market that I'd trade my 9900 for. If forced to move to a different phone, I'd go to a 9810. If forced to go to a different brand, I'd probably go for a high end Windows Phone. But here, RIM's slow-footedness in bringing new devices to market tests its customer's loyalty.
    03-12-12 08:33 AM
  9. anthogag's Avatar
    I presume all carriers are the same where you're not really 'locked' in a multi-year contract. You can break it whenever you want but you'll probably pay an early cancellation fee and the remaining device balance on the phone

    But RIM will probably have the Trade-Up program when BB10 phones come out and you should get around $160-$180 for your OS7 device in about 6 months (when BB10 phones arrive)

    I recently upgraded from a 9800 (3G) to the 9810 (3G+) and internet on the playbook through bridge is much faster. Also, the 9810 is much better, everything is faster

    BB users with the playbook will still have the 'BB10 experience'.

    It's much easier to wait for BB10 phones with the latest BB 3G+ phone
    03-12-12 09:12 AM
  10. randall2580's Avatar
    Not only will the new phones be rocking BB10 which from all appearances will be a big step forward, but the new phones will access LTE if you can get it. If you have to wait 3 years for the next upgrade after that I think those are 2 compelling reasons to wait.
    03-12-12 09:25 AM
  11. sleepngbear's Avatar
    Patience is so overrated. But ... if you're going to be locked in to your next phone for three years, then discretion may be the better part of valor, as they say, and it may indeed be worth the wait for you.
    03-12-12 10:53 AM
  12. r0v3rT3N's Avatar
    Personally, I would wait for BB10 devices, however that might take a bit!
    03-12-12 11:23 AM
  13. dwaynewilliams#WN's Avatar
    If your current Curve is functioning well for you, then you should probably wait.
    03-12-12 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD