I currently own a BB9900, and am with love with the QWERTY keyboard but am disappointed with the horrible OS. I am considering upgrading to BB10 because I frequently browse the web and the OS/ camera is 10X better than on the 9900. My question is:
    1) Should I upgrade to BB10? Why or why not?
    2) When the BB10 comes out, how much will it cost for me to upgrade?
    All answers are appreciated thanks!
    01-18-13 06:27 PM
    1. Only you can find the answer to that. Do research, wait until you test the actual phone, alongside others and decide.
    2. Only you can find the answer to that, depends on your carrier and contract. Again, best to wait until phone comes out and check with them.
    bbmtna and stberry like this.
    01-18-13 06:29 PM
    Lol, dude, buy it, I can answer that.
    01-18-13 06:35 PM
    if all you wanna do is talk, email, text, bbm, and browse the occasional basic content websites then the 9900 is all you need. 9900 is the new "feature" phone, it does the basics. Then theres BB10! Even if all you want is LTE for the blazing fast download speeds of websites and things its worth the upgrade. Not to mention every aspect of the 9900 is improved upon. contacts, calender, bbm etc.

so buy it! get with the times man.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    01-18-13 06:40 PM
    ive got a 9900 and its a great phone, by far the best BB ive had that being said there is absolutely no comparison between the two phones , the new key board on the BB10 is said to b quite amazing , i could very well drop the bold for the new BB10 but i more than likely will wait for a week or two just to see what yall say about it, meanwhile chewing my fingers off ,cause i really want one.

good luck.
    01-18-13 07:12 PM
    I have the 9900. I'll be buying a Z10 on day one.
    The wife says she'll hold onto her iPhone for a month so I can try the Z10
    If I really miss the physical keyboard, she will take the Z10 and I'll buy a X10. If I really like the Z10, I'll just buy another one for her.

Yes I have a great wife
    cardno4 likes this.
    01-19-13 02:54 AM
    There will also be a QWERTY variant with BB10, so you can keep that keyboard while still getting the new operating system.
    01-19-13 05:21 AM
    There will also be a QWERTY variant with BB10, so you can keep that keyboard while still getting the new operating system.
    But can you really use the touch-screen interface on a screen the size of that on the BlackBerry Bold 9900? In my opinion, RIM botched their first BlackBerry 10 physical QWERTY keyboard smartphone.
    01-19-13 06:20 AM
    You say BBOS7 is horrible? Man I think it's fantastic. Every user is different in many ways I guess, but I can tell you i'm an incredibly heavy user as I manage my whole life with my device, from responsibilities to recreational uses and I can tell you that between how fast the 9900 is, how smoothly everything works (again, in my eyes), and how much I love this particular keyboard, I dont see a mad rush to upgrade to BB10 since what I have now serves every need I can throw at it.

The point; if you're being honest with yourself and you are certain you are not satisfied with what you have now, you've got to do what you've got to do. Maybe i'm only one of a hundred+ who actually like BBOS though
    Last edited by BitPusher2600; 01-19-13 at 08:11 AM.
    01-19-13 07:42 AM
    But can you really use the touch-screen interface on a screen the size of that on the BlackBerry Bold 9900? In my opinion, RIM botched their first BlackBerry 10 physical QWERTY keyboard smartphone.
    Have you used it yet? We've only seen demos on the full-touch device up to now, so maybe people are a bit spoiled about the interface and usability for that Z10.
    I simply don't think RIM will screw up the QWERTY device. Screen size on the X10, or whatever it is called, will be larger than the Bold 9900. Not by much, I guess it will turn out being somewhere between 3,0" and 3,2". So the usability will of course be there in terms of touch, many pure touch Android devices for this form factor don't offer larger screens and can be used quite well.

IMO a lot of people around here are talking the X10 bad waaaay too early. There are no high quality (pre-)production shots, no screenshots of finalized software, basicly no software information at all and last but not least not even a single video showing the device in action.
    Jake Storm and andyfang like this.
    01-19-13 08:42 AM
    Thanks for the reply guys. I'll probably switch to 10 if it comes out with a good enough QWERTY keyboard. I'm currently on Bell, anyone know a rough estimate/ guess on how much it would cost me to upgrade the phone only?
    01-19-13 02:13 PM
    ... anyone know a rough estimate/ guess on how much it would cost me to upgrade the phone only?
    That's going to depend on how far you are into your current contract with Bell as well as how much they are going to charge for the new phone.
    I'll guess somewhere between 0-$1000
    01-19-13 02:18 PM
    I am a new Blackberry user (had Motorola Milestone for 3 years - amazing device) and I recently bought Bold 9900. (Off contract since I am international and cant do contracts) Honestly, I realized that I dont need a phone with a huge screen, resolution and applications.. It seems to me that 'phones' nowadays are more of a Entertainment device with the capability of making calls. For browsing, reading pdfs etc I am using the Playbook.. I needed something I can use for emails, messaging, occasional photo and web.. In combination with the Playbook, I honestly dont see myself switching to BB10 at all. So far the BB9900 is amazing and fits its purpose, and since Playbook should be receiving the BB10 in the future, I will be able to use all the new applications and features on the tablet.
    The more features the phone has, the worse is the battery life etc. If I were in your place, I would keep the Bold and invest in 7inch tablet, as with that combination you can do whatever you want and much more.
    01-19-13 02:29 PM
    I heard the BB10 will have a longer battery life, the BB9900 battery life isn't that great. BB10 is a lot more productive IMO for now. Anyway, using the rumors about the 10 right now, what will be the advantages of the 9900 the 10 doesn't have?
    01-19-13 05:48 PM
    I've been using the Bold 9900 for about a year and love it! Saying that, I'm so excited about BB10 and the number of apps that it will have on launch. I have a feeling that there will be at least a few major apps on BB10 that are not currently on BB7, which will be a nice upgrade. I'm also pretty excited about the digital keyboard, it looks like it will be as easy to use as for me the full QWERTY on the 9900. Even with the physical keys my fingers are big enough that I routinely hit the wrong keys.... And lastly, I love reading the news on my BB so the larger screen size will be very nice!

My idea was to upgrade to BB10 and perhaps pass on my Bold (which is awesome) to a family member so we can stay in touch on BBM.

Just some thoughts!
    01-19-13 08:01 PM
    Nothing wrong with staying with the 9900. It is a proven platform, strengths and weaknesses included. Let the bugs get sorted out with BB10 and have some hands on time with the new OS. If it is for you, you'll know
    01-19-13 09:53 PM
    I heard the BB10 will have a longer battery life, the BB9900 battery life isn't that great. BB10 is a lot more productive IMO for now. Anyway, using the rumors about the 10 right now, what will be the advantages of the 9900 the 10 doesn't have?
    That is hard to say at this point. An obvious pro of the Bold would be the trackpad, which won't be on any BB10 device. How much of a disadvantage this is, remains to be seen. I doubt global navigation around the UI will be a problem, since BB10 UI is designed different than OS7. Textselection and editing however might be a different thing.

Other than that, I doubt there are any strenghts left for the Bold, maybe the lower price tag.
    01-19-13 11:58 PM
    I am switching from a Blackberry Bold 9900 smartphone device.

If you watch or follow the launch event on January 30 it will answer all your questions you stated!!!!!!!!
    01-20-13 12:04 AM