The new flagship device will be around for a year or so and then, it wont be the flagship device any more! But it will be upgradable going forward. Yay!
    11-13-12 12:01 AM
    Plus imagine the shiatstorm if BB10 was put on existing hardware, and if the user experience was terrible (because of the slow, outdated technology). The tech world would take that, and run with it ("BLACKBERRY 10 SLOW AND UNUSABLE! NEWS AT ELEVEN!").
    11-13-12 12:53 AM
    If BB10 fails, the 9900 will be a collector's item: the last BB. In fact, even if BB10 succeeds, the 9900 may turn out to be collectible, the end of an era.

I've thought about selling mine, in anticipation of BB10, but on reflection I think I'll just hang onto it. If BB10 looks like it'll work for me, I'll sell my Blaze instead--not that I'll get much for it.
    Lol, it's not the end of an era, you forget there will be the S model still running bbos. And I'm sure there will be more after that.
    11-13-12 02:06 AM
    It would still be interesting to see someone make it work. I am sure with lots of effort it could be done. Even if the release was in no ways official.
    11-13-12 05:52 AM
    Lol, it's not the end of an era, you forget there will be the S model still running bbos. And I'm sure there will be more after that.
    I didn't forget about the S model; I don't really know what it is. A search shows that it is a rumored forthcoming new BBOS device; what's the source of the rumor? Why are you sure there will be more BBOS devices after the S, if the S turns out to be real? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me for RIM to split its development resources in this way.
    11-13-12 07:37 AM
    I didn't forget about the S model; I don't really know what it is. A search shows that it is a rumored forthcoming new BBOS device; what's the source of the rumor? Why are you sure there will be more BBOS devices after the S, if the S turns out to be real? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me for RIM to split its development resources in this way.
    1. Because I know some people
    2. It actually makes a lot of sense, Rim has currently 80 million BBOS users and most use it because the like BBOS, they're not gonna automatically like BB10, what happens to those that love BBOS and don't like BB10. Do you think Rim will abandon them?

Besides, I've been told over a year ago that BBOS will continue in paralel with BB10(or BBX at the time) as a low/mid end offering by Stephen Bates, RIM UK MD at the BB7 London launch party.
    11-13-12 07:55 AM
    DIdn't go through the whole thread but I don't think we can assume everyone knew older devices would not be upgradeable.
    Some folks who are not on the forums are bound to be disappointed.
    Snarky comments are unnecessary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    middbrew likes this.
    11-13-12 08:04 AM
    1. Because I know some people
    2. It actually makes a lot of sense, Rim has currently 80 million BBOS users and most use it because the like BBOS, they're not gonna automatically like BB10, what happens to those that love BBOS and don't like BB10. Do you think Rim will abandon them?
    The assertion that most of those 80 million BBOS users use BBOS because they like it has a couple of problems. The first one is that you just made it up. There are many reasons why people use BBs; liking BBOS is just one. You have no data to support the claim that it's the main one. For example, if they use BBs because they like BBM, and BBM is also on BB10, liking BBM won't be a reason to prefer BBOS to BB10. If there are people who use BBs because they like the hard keyboard, that also won't be a reason to prefer BBOS. The second problem is that the question isn't really whether or not people like BBOS; it's whether they like it better than BB10. Obviously, we don't know yet.

As long as RIM continues to support BBOS, so that BBOS devices continue to run on their network, get tech support and occasional updates, the people using those devices will not have been abandoned. It doesn't require RIM to continue to market new BBOS models.

Besides, I've been told over a year ago that BBOS will continue in paralel with BB10(or BBX at the time) as a low/mid end offering by Stephen Bates, RIM UK MD at the BB7 London launch party.
    This doesn't entail any new BBOS models; it only entails that existing BBOS models will continue to be sold for a while. What would new BBOS models bring to the table? More memory and faster processor maybe, but then that wouldn't be a low/mid end offering. RIM already has serviceable low/mid end models; why make more of them?

To my mind, it's one thing to continue to support BBOS by making sure that existing BB models remain available and keep working; it's quite another to design and build new models for it. The latter, in my view, makes no sense for a company that is trying to make a transition to a new platform. If BB10 is successful, there will be money to invest in developing low/mid end BB10 devices eventually. RIM only needs to keep the existing BBOS devices around long enough to get to that point. After that, they can lower the curtain on BBOS.
    11-13-12 08:26 AM
    The assertion that most of those 80 million BBOS users use BBOS because they like it has a couple of problems. The first one is that you just made it up. There are many reasons why people use BBs; liking BBOS is just one. You have no data to support the claim that it's the main one. For example, if they use BBs because they like BBM, and BBM is also on BB10, liking BBM won't be a reason to prefer BBOS to BB10. If there are people who use BBs because they like the hard keyboard, that also won't be a reason to prefer BBOS. The second problem is that the question isn't really whether or not people like BBOS; it's whether they like it better than BB10. Obviously, we don't know yet.

As long as RIM continues to support BBOS, so that BBOS devices continue to run on their network, get tech support and occasional updates, the people using those devices will not have been abandoned. It doesn't require RIM to continue to market new BBOS models.

This doesn't entail any new BBOS models; it only entails that existing BBOS models will continue to be sold for a while. What would new BBOS models bring to the table? More memory and faster processor maybe, but then that wouldn't be a low/mid end offering. RIM already has serviceable low/mid end models; why make more of them?

To my mind, it's one thing to continue to support BBOS by making sure that existing BB models remain available and keep working; it's quite another to design and build new models for it. The latter, in my view, makes no sense for a company that is trying to make a transition to a new platform. If BB10 is successful, there will be money to invest in developing low/mid end BB10 devices eventually. RIM only needs to keep the existing BBOS devices around long enough to get to that point. After that, they can lower the curtain on BBOS.
    Ah but BBOS has many features BB10 will not have, themes for example and I don't think it will be as customisable as BBOS. It will be a quite different experience, you can't just assume everybody will want to jump on BB10, I'm not so sure I will yet.

Also, don't underestimate the people's power to be set in their ways, many people don't want to learn something new.
    11-13-12 08:42 AM
    Ah but BBOS has many features BB10 will not have, themes for example and I don't think it will be as customisable as BBOS. It will be a quite different experience, you can't just assume everybody will want to jump on BB10, I'm not so sure I will yet.

Also, don't underestimate the people's power to be set in their ways, many people don't want to learn something new.
    I don't disagree with any of that. Of course there will be some people who will prefer various aspects of BBOS, and some who simply won't be interested in change. What I reject as utterly unsupported is your assertion that most of the 80 million BB users fall into these categories. That's the bit that you made up.

I also don't disagree with the premise that it makes good business sense to continue to support the BBOS devices that they are already making and selling. But I've yet to see any good reason why they should design and build new BBOS devices. People who want to stay with BBOS can do so; they don't need new models. It takes time and talent to design new models, and RIM needs to devote those resources to BB10. They've already laid off enough people; they need to be very focused in what they do now. Designing new BBOS models would be a distraction from their primary mobile phone project, which is BB10. And again, what will new models offer? If better specs, they won't be mid/low end. If not better specs, then what?
    11-13-12 09:00 AM
    I don't disagree with any of that. Of course there will be some people who will prefer various aspects of BBOS, and some who simply won't be interested in change. What I reject as utterly unsupported is your assertion that most of the 80 million BB users fall into these categories. That's the bit that you made up
    Sorry, you got that wrong, I said most of the 80 million use a BB because they like BBOS (some are forced to use it by work), I didn't say most will not change to BB10.
    11-13-12 09:20 AM
    i thought that the qnx was the software.. so whats to stop the engineers from completely wiping the java based os and jst loading a qnx based os onto the 9900?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-13-12 09:29 AM
    i thought that the qnx was the software.. so whats to stop the engineers from completely wiping the java based os and jst loading a qnx based os onto the 9900?

Because software still has minimum hardware requirements, and if paired with inadequate hardware, results in a poor user experience.

I'm guessing the main reason why is because the 9900 has a puny 768mb RAM for the OS and apps. You'll also be fragmenting apps again with multiple screen sizes if you allow legacy devices to run the new OS, which is something RIM is trying to avoid.
    11-13-12 09:56 AM
    Because software still has minimum hardware requirements, and if paired with inadequate hardware, results in a poor user experience.

I'm guessing the main reason why is because the 9900 has a puny 768mb RAM for the OS and apps. You'll also be fragmenting apps again with multiple screen sizes if you allow legacy devices to run the new OS, which is something RIM is trying to avoid.
    thanks!!

11-13-12 10:13 AM
    Sorry, you got that wrong, I said most of the 80 million use a BB because they like BBOS (some are forced to use it by work), I didn't say most will not change to BB10.
    What I didn't get wrong is the point that you made this statistic up. As I've already explained, there are many more reasons to use a BB than liking BBOS, or even being forced to use one. In the absence of actual data about why people choose BBs, there's really no good reason to suppose that fondness for the OS is the main reason. But since we're making up generalities, I'll join in with some invented facts of my own. It looks like fun, so why not? Here goes: Of the 80 million BB users, the most common reasons for using BB are, in no particular order: BBM, hard keyboard, low-cost hardware, coercion.

Of those reasons, the first two give no reason to prefer BBOS to BB10. The third and fourth reasons give RIM no reason to bring new BBOS models to market if they can continue to sell existing models. This is why it doesn't make a lot of sense to me for RIM to create a new "S model" to run BBOS. That doesn't mean they won't do it, of course; I just don't see the point.
    middbrew likes this.
    11-13-12 10:24 AM
    What I didn't get wrong is the point that you made this statistic up. As I've already explained, there are many more reasons to use a BB than liking BBOS, or even being forced to use one. In the absence of actual data about why people choose BBs, there's really no good reason to suppose that fondness for the OS is the main reason. But since we're making up generalities, I'll join in with some invented facts of my own. It looks like fun, so why not? Here goes: Of the 80 million BB users, the most common reasons for using BB are, in no particular order: BBM, hard keyboard, low-cost hardware, coercion.

Of those reasons, the first two give no reason to prefer BBOS to BB10. The third and fourth reasons give RIM no reason to bring new BBOS models to market if they can continue to sell existing models. This is why it doesn't make a lot of sense to me for RIM to create a new "S model" to run BBOS. That doesn't mean they won't do it, of course; I just don't see the point.
    Man, why do you keep saying I'm making statistics up, I'm just stating my opinion, just like you, I never claimed any facts.

I'd say BBOS will be around for at least another 5 years. Everything comes to an end eventually.
    11-13-12 10:54 AM

This is spot on. If you look back to when the 8330 was running OS4.5 and OS5.0 can out for it the device could barly handle it as it wasn't setup hardware wise for such an OS. BB10 will be an even greater resource hog so the hardware to run it smoothly is not there in the current OS7 devices.
    11-13-12 11:12 AM
    Man, why do you keep saying I'm making statistics up, I'm just stating my opinion, just like you, I never claimed any facts.

I'd say BBOS will be around for at least another 5 years. Everything comes to an end eventually.
    What looked like statements of fact were "Rim has currently 80 million BBOS users and most use it because the like BBOS" and "there will be the S model still running bbos. And I'm sure there will be more after that." I don't doubt that BBOS will be around for a while longer; that was never in dispute. As long as there are BBs running some version or other of BBOS, it'll be around. What I find hard to believe is that RIM will continue to design and manufacture new hardware to run on BBOS. You have an inside source; so be it. I'm skeptical. The reasons you've offered in support of such a move just don't support it.
    11-13-12 11:50 AM
    RIM stated that BB10 will require dual-core processor devices. None of the current BB devices have a dual-core processor, so the hardware is not compatible.

The PlayBook has a dual-core processor, which should run BB10 just fine. Plus, RIM had already said the PlayBook will get BB10.
    11-14-12 10:01 AM
44 12