From what I have read, this is not possible. Then the question comes to mind. Why did RIM build a platform that is incompatible with their existing "flagship" device? I had just used my upgrade to get an iPhone because of specific needs. I'm hoping i could upgrade my 9930 to BB10.
    11-12-12 03:48 PM
    You read wrong.

From what I have read, this is not possible.
    11-12-12 03:54 PM
    Again? Sorry OP it's been known for a long long time now that no OS 7 devices will get BB10.
    11-12-12 03:56 PM
    Oops. I must have not found the correct info. Let me do some digging.
    11-12-12 04:04 PM
    You read wrong.
    What do you mean? The OP is correct. No OS7 device can be upgraded to BB10.
    11-12-12 04:11 PM
    Why did RIM build a platform that is incompatible with their existing "flagship" device?
    Because the old devices (even their flagship 9900) were based on old technology. It was time to cut the cord, and start from scratch.

Microsoft managed to maintain backwards compatibility between Windows versions, and while it was a big factor in Windows' popularity, it also meant that each new version of Windows was partially crippled because it had to maintain compatibility with older (and less advanced) software. If they started from scratch with each subsequent version, it's a harder sell. The product will be better, but harder to sell because everybody has to repurchase (or rewrite, in the old days) all the software they use.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-12-12 04:12 PM
    Because RIM have made a new flagship device with BB10 OS OP.
    11-12-12 04:21 PM
    So, what do we do with these "flagship" 9900/9930's when BB10 comes out? I doubt I can get a good price for it since the majority of people will want the newer device. I'm already having a hard time trying to resell it to recover my cost. I won't have any upgrade available to get the new BB10 device at the subsidized price. I suppose I'd be stuck with "obsolete" technology. Thanks RIM?!?

Just curious. Can that new iOS 6.0.1 be applied to a 2-year old iPhone 4? If that's possible, then why can BB10 go on the 9930?
    11-12-12 04:21 PM
    OS7 isn't BB10 QNX
    11-12-12 04:23 PM
    I learned a long time ago (from the whole Samsung Vibrant/Froyo debachle) not to purchase devices based on what they MIGHT do in the future but rather if they do what I need them to do NOW. I don't have the official JB update on my SGS3 but that's fine because I enjoy using it as it is. I had upgraded my 9700 to OS6, but I didn't like how many resources it took up so I had no qualms with downgrading back to OS5.

About a YEAR after the Sidekick LX was released, Danger pushed out an update that added a lot of new features, including video recording/playback. To me that was HUGE. I had bought the device months before, full knowing it didn't have video recording/playback capabilities, and one day WHAM, there it was in an OTA update.

If one likes the 99xx and all of its capabilities, that's all that should matter, not if it will be able to run the next generation OS. In a perfect world all phones would be futureproof, but then the incentive to upgrade wouldn't be near as much and that would hurt the manufacturers and carriers.
    11-12-12 04:26 PM
    So, what do we do with these "flagship" 9900/9930's when BB10 comes out? I doubt I can get a good price for it since the majority of people will want the newer device. I'm already having a hard time trying to resell it to recover my cost. I won't have any upgrade available to get the new BB10 device at the subsidized price. I suppose I'd be stuck with "obsolete" technology. Thanks RIM?!?

Just curious. Can that new iOS 6.0.1 be applied to a 2-year old iPhone 4? If that's possible, then why can BB10 go on the 9930?
    Think of it as a new begining, a fresh start, from zero.

Forget the 9900, it has nothing in comon with BB10 and by the way, the "flagship" 9900 is already over a year old.

In the meantime your 9900 will continue to work tomorrow just the way it works today.
    11-12-12 04:27 PM

jly.... this is a whole new OS. It is not an upgrade from BBOS7, which was upgrade from BBOS6 etc. The system those, and all previous, ran on has been pushed beyond what it was intended to do. RIM did not set out to screw you. The 99xx series are still great phones and will go for a while yet and still have industry leading communication tools. , I still have a 9700 running on BBOS6 and as much as I wanted the newer OS7, it wasn't in the cards for me unless I purchased a new phone which I wasn't going to do. I didn't look at it like RIM "stuck" me with obsolete tech. What RIM has done now is taken the steps forward to offer a new system to take us into the future and for that I do thank them.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    11-12-12 04:39 PM
    I don't have the official JB update on my SGS3 but that's fine because I enjoy using it as it is.
    Just thought I'd mention that it's trivial to put Jelly Bean on your GS3. There's tons of traffic on xda about it, but it's hard to find what you're looking for because there is so much going on. You can use galaxys3root.com, he references the source (xda, or whatever) and provides youtubes and howtos on how to install custom ROMs. I used his galaxys2root.com web site to get my wife's GS2 up and running with JB.
    11-12-12 04:40 PM
    BB10 is a whole New OS, whole new platform is being built. No existing device will be able to upgrade to BB10. Thor has confirmed this.
    11-12-12 04:45 PM
    There will be a NEW BLACKBERRY Flagship.......period.
    11-12-12 04:51 PM
    This has been the case for a while. And as many have said it has been known for a while that no BB7 devices will get BB10.

The Torch 9800 was once a flagship device and when BB7 was released it did not get the update.

There will always be a newer flagship device. When the BlackBerry 10 device comes out it will be the flagship device.

Can't really explain any more than that. And rest assured there will still be people using BB7 devices even when BlackBerry 10 is released.
    11-12-12 05:07 PM

You can either keep it and deal with it until you have an upgrade available or you can pay full pop. This shouldn't be news to anyone buying tech equipment. That's the risk you took by either doing your research, finding out that BB10 is on the way and deciding to upgrade anyway, or not doing your research and buying a piece of tech equipment without being educated on it's useful life.

The reason that iOS6 can go onto the older devices is because they haven't changed very much in the way of the base functionality of the OS itself. It's the same reason my 9700 originally came loaded with 4.5, got immediately updated to 5 as soon as I took it out of the box, and is now running 6. They didn't change it a whole lot between versions, so it still runs.

Do some research here on the forums and around the Internet and you will find out that BB10 is MUCH different than the old JVM based BBOSS on current handsets. With a jump in technology, there has to be a point tat you shed the dead weight. Not everyone will understand why, but a little knowledge goes a long way.

I've been holding onto my upgrade for over a year now just waiting for BB10 to drop. I didn't expect that the current generation of phones were going to be up to snuff to run an advanced OS, so I kept from jumping the gun on a shiny new device.
    11-12-12 05:26 PM
    You can either keep it and deal with it until you have an upgrade available or you can pay full pop. This shouldn't be news to anyone buying tech equipment. That's the risk you took by either doing your research, finding out that BB10 is on the way and deciding to upgrade anyway, or not doing your research and buying a piece of tech equipment without being educated on it's useful life.
    Indeed. I paid full price for my 9900, knowing that it would be "obsolete" (but still fully functional) once BB10 rolls around. This was back in August 2011 before BB10 was delayed as well, but I have no regrets.
    11-12-12 05:36 PM
    If BB10 fails, the 9900 will be a collector's item: the last BB. In fact, even if BB10 succeeds, the 9900 may turn out to be collectible, the end of an era.

I've thought about selling mine, in anticipation of BB10, but on reflection I think I'll just hang onto it. If BB10 looks like it'll work for me, I'll sell my Blaze instead--not that I'll get much for it.
    11-12-12 05:55 PM

You are never stuck with a device. You always have the option to buy it unsubsidized, although that may mean you have to save up for a little.

A 2 year old iPhone 4 can be upgraded to iOS 6 because it is part of the same platform and the OS is just an iteration of the previous. BB10 is QNX based and is a completely different beast from the current java based BBOS, with different hardware requirements.
    11-12-12 05:57 PM
    BB10 is a whole New OS, whole new platform is being built. No existing device will be able to upgrade to BB10. Thor has confirmed this.
    With the exception of the PlayBook...
    pantlesspenguin and middbrew like this.
    11-12-12 06:05 PM
    I know its not *supposed* to be on the Torch 9810 and Bold 9900/9930, but maybe someone, somewhere, will be smart enough to figure out a workaround. We can only hope...
    11-12-12 09:35 PM
    With the exception of the PlayBook...
    I sit corrected. Thanks!
    11-12-12 09:39 PM
    I know its not *supposed* to be on the Torch 9810 and Bold 9900/9930, but maybe someone, somewhere, will be smart enough to figure out a workaround. We can only hope...
    it's not something they are denying to those devices.... it can't be done so there's not much to work around. You might as well figure out how to install iOS or Android on those devices.
    11-12-12 10:09 PM
    RIM is not going to dedicate the resources to this. Sure bb10 could be made to work on older devices. After all its still an arm processor and qualcomm chipset or whatever.

But there's no way the os7 devices would be as smooth as the new ones.

Additionally RIM *needs their core customers to buy blackberry 10 devices*. Harsh as it seems denying bb10 to older devices will push folks to upgrade.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    11-12-12 10:31 PM
44 12