First of all I hope this is in the correct forum...

For many of you BB owners, especially the loyal ones, you'll notice that the other popular OS's, Palm, Apple, and Andriod seem to be leaving RIM in the dust. With their larger screens, multitouch, and more established app market, at a glance it makes your good ol' BB seem like it's in the stoneage. But before you leap, take a serious look at what you use your device for. Don't be dazzled by the latest features because in the end, it's all about what works with YOUR lifestyle.

So I picked up the HTC Evo on launch day and pre-ordered an iPhone 4. And after 25 days with the Evo, and a little over a week with the iPhone4, I returned both devices and now I'm back to my BB Tour.. and here's why:

Why I returned the Evo

In a nutshell, it's a little too much, but also not enough. Remember the movie Terminator? Yeah, the one with Arnold, lol. Now, as in that movie, the ultimate evil wasn't the T1000 (hope i'm correct on the name) but technology itself. It seemed that we got ahead of ourselves in advancing in tech that it will inevitably bring us our doom. And that's the way I feel about the Evo...and that's where at least the iphone got it right. But more on iphone later.

See, that large screen is beautiful at first glance, but it WILL consume your life. You'll find yourself browsing the web, watching youtube clips, facebooking, texting, watching movies, browsing the andriod market, and other things you've never done as much with your BB. You just spent good money on your device and dammit you're gonna use it..but at what cost? I'm a creative director at a marketing company and also a writer and freelance illustrator. My life is VERY busy. I'm in front of the computer ALL day. And then with the Evo as well. It just became too much tech overload. I was annoying my GF, my friends..and my productivity took a dive. I was just too engulfed with this phone.

Now once you're past the initial WOW stage, the impressive features of the phone still seem impressive, but only on paper, not so much in practice. The camera, sucks. Now don;t get me wrong..8MP is better than my 3.2MP BB, but if it's gonna take pictures, I at least want them to be clear. The images taken with the Evo are VERY grainy. Most will be satisfied but on comparison, my Tour takes better pics even with lower pixel density. Unless it's perfect daytime light, don't expect to replace your point and shoot with the Evo. The flash is blinding and completely drowns out the shot in low light or night scenes. And don't even talk about the video camera. The footage is so choppy and compressed (even at 720p) that it's not even worth using. The interface with andriod still needs so much work. I like how i can customize everything... but it takes me 4 steps to get to messaging when the phone's locked. Not a biggie..but if you text like most people..this can get rather annoying. With my BB, it's maybe 2 steps. And with the physical keyboard on my tour, I don't even have to look at the phone sometimes. A tiny convenience that I find priceless. The apps... ummm, not quite. The Andriod market is extremely cluttered. It's stiffling just browsing the categories trying to find something of worth in there. Sure Apple's app store has a lot of fluff, but the interface is much more intutive. 4G is great, if you're in an area with it...and even then, watch your battery being sucked dry as you browse and watch more youtube footage than you've ever done before. The Evo is also not the easiest to carry. I'm a sans case kinda guy and holsters are corny (sorry they are IMO) so it just goes into my pocket...and ladies think I"m always happy to see them, till they realize it's just my phone. Not a big deal for women that just throw in in their purse anyways, but the size means you'll probably be leaving it in the car when you hit the club and don't have your bag with you. Fellas, you can put it in your back pocket but it feels awkward. And then you have to be self-conscious that your phone is there so you don't sit on it by accident. All in all, the Evo was just too much. And the features which were the most important to me, still needed more development. I'm sure it will please most but for me, it wasn't quite there yet.

No iPhone4 for me!

This was an even easier decision even though I liked the phone itself ALOT better than the Evo. First of all, I just want to say that Apple knows how to make a product for the BEST user experience. Subtle things like how you go from camera to video is just a simple swipe. No control panel, everything right at your fingertips. Their software just works! Whether messaging, just flying through the phone, or browsing..everything is insanely smooth and quick. There's absolutely no lag, compared to the Evo. This is how phones should have always been. Now on paper, the iPhone is outclassed by the Evo. The Evo has much better specs in terms of the camera, size, and network (4G). BUT, apple focused on things that I felt were more important to the user. The display...is jaw dropping. When you look at your phone, no matter what you do, the first thing that you see is the display. And I;m telling you if you havent gone and seen an iPhone 4, go now. The retina display doesnt dissapoint. The onscreen keyboard is also still the best. Andriod has come a loooong way...BUt the iphone's keyboard is still that much snappier and accurate. And the acceloromator is much smoother than Andriod's. Images and video taken with the iphone will make you leave your point and shot at home and quickly turn it into a paperweight. The iPhone records full 720p video at 30fps and the ability to edit right on the device is awesome. These things, especially in my field, are important to me. Go you youtube and you'll find some examples of the cool thigs people are doing with their iphone. The quality of the footage is just amazing. Facetime is clearer than qik on the Evo, even though it only works via wifi..but honeslty, how often do you think you'll be using it? My guess is next to nothing. Video chat is not there yet. The size of the iphone is perfect. Small enough to fit in my pocket and it feels solid. So that's why I would prefer the iphone over Evo, but I still returned the iphone.

One word: AT&T. We all know of the antenna issues with iphone4 but even prior to that, the AT&T service is terrible. I dropped 3 calls within 15 mins and sometimes the phone can;t find a signal at all. Also, AT&T's plans suck... or maybe it's just cause Sprint's plans are that much better. My bill on Sprint: $80... a comparable bill with AT&T, $130. As much as I liked the iPhone, I just couldnt justify paying more for less because ultimately, this is my phone. My only phone, and if it doesn;t work as one...it becomes just an iPod touch. So back it went to the Apple Store...

At the end of the day, I decided to just keep my old BB. It's still the BEST phone out there. Maybe not the fanciest, but as a communication device, nothing beats a BB. With it's physical keyboard, one-hand navigation, and unsurpassed battery life, it gets the job done. Most of us have a computer at home and or laptop. I don;t think in all honesty that many of us spend a decent amount of time watching videos on youtube or doing extensive research online via our phones. Just think about it. What features are the most important to you? Not so much what the phone can do, but will YOU be using it for? For me, I wanted the best all in one communication device. That means first and foremost, calls must be clear and not drop. It must be comfatable in my pocket. The UI, clean and intutive, and replace my point and shoot camera. Now the BB doesn't replace my point ans shoot, but 2 out of 3 aint bad!

I hope this helped some of you looking into possibly jumping ship as your contracts near expiration. Thank you for reading.

And for the record... I bought an iPad, LOL!
    Last edited by misterkofa; 07-07-10 at 03:16 PM.
    07-07-10 03:14 PM
    Thank you for this detailed breakdown. I have been considering jumping ship to the Evo and now I really need to consider the option. I was blinded by all the goodies the Evo offers, but you did a good job of pointing out that the user needs to consider what the device is really going to be used for.
    07-07-10 04:21 PM
    Nice writeup... and I agree with almost everything you've said. My brother ditched his 9700 for the Evo 4g and claims to have liked his decision to do so. I, on the other hand, really like the reliability and simplicity of my blackberry.

As mentioned, my physical keyboard on my 8530 is far better than any on screen keyboard. The battery life is more than double what my brother is getting on his Evo.. and my call quality is far superior as well.

In the end, the phone is a communication device, as you put it... and if I can't communicate well... then what's the point of it having a fancy super duper sized screen, ya know? When all these snazzy new devices were hitting the market, I couldn't WAIT to ditch my blackberry and "upgrade" to one of these.. but now, having seen them and played with them, I find my blackberry to be superior to them.

At least for now, I'm sticking to my Curve 2. However, when the next wave of superphones come out, maybe they'll really nail it with call quality, texting, as well as the fancy features. Then, I may switch... until then, my BB is more suited for my lifestyle.
    07-07-10 05:45 PM
    usually i avoid reading these but it was worth the time.

you made it sound like you fell in love with iPhone lol. now if iphone was on sprint would you have kept it? sounds more like you really fell in love with it

but everything was detailed. pros and cons! great job
    07-07-10 06:19 PM
    I truly thought this was going to be some useless rant but after reading it, it felt unbiased and written from experience which differs from most of the threads posted on this site. MisterKofa, you sir, just gained my respect lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-10 06:46 PM
    Thanks for the writeup. I feel sometimes that I will sway away from BB for an android. (As I have with Iphone and am now back) I think I'm going to wait. I love my 9700
    07-07-10 07:14 PM
    Great write up. Enjoyed reading it.
    07-07-10 08:01 PM
    Awesome reviews! Couldn't agree more!

07-07-10 09:24 PM
    Toy vs. Tool there really is no comparison.

07-07-10 09:38 PM
    Thanks for the kudos guys! I'm glad to hear some of you found it useful.

07-07-10 09:46 PM
    Toy vs. Tool there really is no comparison.

Wow - it took a whopping 9 posts to read something like this.

The iPhone is NOT A TOY. PHONES THAT AREN'T BB'S ARE NOT TOYS.

Enough with the b.s.

You took a well written an unbiased review and destroyed it's point by using the stupidest chestnut ever, "the iPhone is a toooooooooooooooooy and the BB is a tooooooooooooooooooooool" The only tool is the person who says this and thinks it's 1) valid or 2) true.
    07-07-10 10:03 PM
    Like your writeup! It's nice to see an unbiased commentary. I am glad you are happy with your choice!
    07-07-10 10:17 PM
    Right on man ..good post ..kinda want a iphone4 on verizon now lol but i love the berry goodness.
    07-07-10 10:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD