Hey everyone, I was just wondering if I should upgrade to the new blackberry bold 9900 on AT&T or wait.

I currently have the iPhone 4s (yes I know) and have an upgrade (I used a different line upgrade to get this phone) I will be going away for a year starting in September and will be studying abroad. I don't know if RIM will be coming out with a new bold by the time I get back or if this is it and the Bold will no longer be getting an upgrade.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome, thank you for your time and have a great day.
    04-17-12 10:11 AM
    (cough)(cough)(cough)
    04-17-12 06:24 PM
    Welcome to the forums. I made the switch from my iPhone 4S to a 9930 and hadn't had a regret since I got it. But ofcourse BB is all I know, the whole "me switching to an iPhone" ordeal is another story. I think the 9900 series is the most solid BB I've dealt with. Now if you want to wait for the 10 series is up to you. But if you decide to go ahead now to the 9900 I would like to say you won't be disappointed.
    04-17-12 08:30 PM
    Welcome to the forums. I made the switch from my iPhone 4S to a 9930 and hadn't had a regret since I got it. But ofcourse BB is all I know, the whole "me switching to an iPhone" ordeal is another story. I think the 9900 series is the most solid BB I've dealt with. Now if you want to wait for the 10 series is up to you. But if you decide to go ahead now to the 9900 I would like to say you won't be disappointed.
    Do you know if there will be a new bold coming out with bb10?
    04-17-12 08:33 PM
    They have forums for the concepts of the BBX devices. The london is all touch and the milan is touch with a slide out keyboard.
    04-17-12 08:38 PM
    I think the reason most didn't reply is because its really a personal question you need to decide for yourself.

If you really like the 9900 and it does everything you need it too then you won't be disappointed.

As for BB 10, keep in mind current devises cannot be upgraded, we have no real hardware or software details and don't know how long it will be till the qwerty phone actually launches. It could be worth the wait, it may not be.

As I said above, if you like the 9900, and it does everything you want, then go for it. If you can wait till you come back next year I would do that as I am sure there will be a Blackberry with a physical keyboard out by that point.
    04-17-12 08:41 PM
    The 9900 series are top notch phones, that you can't go wrong with. All the bb10 phones are all speculative at this point. I would go ahead and go with the 9900 series for now if it meets your needs.
    04-17-12 08:44 PM
    I think the reason most didn't reply is because its really a personal question you need to decide for yourself.

If you really like the 9900 and it does everything you need it too then you won't be disappointed.

As for BB 10, keep in mind current devises cannot be upgraded, we have no real hardware or software details and don't know how long it will be till the qwerty phone actually launches. It could be worth the wait, it may not be.

As I said above, if you like the 9900, and it does everything you want, then go for it. If you can wait till you come back next year I would do that as I am sure there will be a Blackberry with a physical keyboard out by that point.
    Thats what I am just thinking about, do I wait until I come back, or do I just get it now and waste an upgrade. It makes it free so there wont be any monetary loss. I just wanted to get some feedback from others and what they would do in my situation.
    04-17-12 08:48 PM
    I say "go for it"....who knows when a BB10 with a keypad will come to production. They way things are looking, maybe not until middle of 2013 if ever. Go for it
    04-17-12 09:02 PM
    Thank you, I'm probably gonna go through with it, I just have to wait for AT&T to restock on refurb bolds and I'll order one.
    04-17-12 09:07 PM
    Few questions to ask yourself

Where are you going abroad for the year?
    Are BlackBerry's available there?
    What are the data costs Per MB in that country?
    How much do you plan to use your phone?

When comparing the 9900 to BB10, it is safe to say the First BB10 device is NOT going to be a qwerty device, so it isn't targeted at BB 9900 users, I suspect it will be first calendar quarter 2013 before we see a Bold 9900 style BB10 device.
    04-17-12 09:07 PM
    Wait until BlackBerry World...like 2 weeks, can you do that

If they're handing-out developer betas we should also get a much better idea of what BB10 will be like and if they'll release one, two, or three device styles at launch
    Last edited by anthogag; 04-17-12 at 09:26 PM.
    04-17-12 09:08 PM
    I'm still using the 9800 so I'm ready for a update but I'm going to wait on the BB10 devices but I will say this they better be top notch and be ready for prime time because I am about to get tired of the 2nd or 3rd version of something before its ready for prime time and by then its at the end of its life cycle. By the time you have to wait on a 2nd or 3rd version of something you will be behind when you walk out the door with it. 2 things I really would like to see is a wifi hotspot and good active sync email if thats what we are going to have to have. Even though you probably will be able to tether it using USB I still would like to have the wifi hotspot so I don't have to worry about setting up and configuring DM on ever laptop I got not to mention that DM for mac leaves a lot to be desired. Anyway I can't wait to see what they come out with. I don't care if its a slider or like a bold or a full touch I am so ready to update
    04-18-12 09:45 AM
    if i were ready to upgrade i'd go ahead and do it now. i got my OS7 device back in August and couldn't be happier with it. my thoughts are that by the time im ready to upgrade again, bb10 should have all the quirks (we all know there'll be quirks) worked out and i'll be good to go!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    Spencerdl and shemaree09 like this.
    04-18-12 11:44 AM
    I say go for the Bold 9900. Its the best Blackberry out right now.

I see no point in waiting around for a BB10 device that has no solid release date. You could be waiting for another year or so.

Be Bold!
    Spencerdl likes this.
    04-18-12 01:46 PM
    You might also look at the 9810 Torch. It has a larger screen and the slide out qwerty keyboard. You get the best of both worlds. I had the 9800 before this and there is a huge difference in performance between the first and second iterations of the slider with the advantage going to the 9810.
    04-18-12 01:55 PM
    You might also look at the 9810 Torch. It has a larger screen and the slide out qwerty keyboard. You get the best of both worlds. I had the 9800 before this and there is a huge difference in performance between the first and second iterations of the slider with the advantage going to the 9810.
    I happen to not be a fan of the torch, it just didn't feel right. The bold is by far superior in my opinion, and now that it has a touchscreen it's the perfect fit.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    04-18-12 02:11 PM
    I say go for the Bold 9900. Its the best Blackberry out right now.

I see no point in waiting around for a BB10 device that has no solid release date. You could be waiting for another year or so.

Be Bold!
    Yeh I plan on going to the bold, but AT&T is currently not offering the refurbished bold. As of yesterday it was out of stock but now it isn't even listed. Really don't want to spend the $200.
    04-18-12 02:40 PM
    Yeh I plan on going to the bold, but AT&T is currently not offering the refurbished bold. As of yesterday it was out of stock but now it isn't even listed. Really don't want to spend the $200.
    not sure if you want to switch carriers, but you can get a new Bold 9930 from Verizon for $80.

BlackBerry� Bold� 9930 (Verizon) | LetsTalk.com
    I've bought all of my phones from LetsTalk and they always offer better deals than the carriers.

It looks like they dont carry At&t phones anymore, though.

I switch to Verizon after At&t took too long to release the Bold. Best decision ever.
    04-18-12 02:51 PM
    I got my Bold 9930 and I love it. I don't know what BB10 will be like but I know the Bold 9930 does everything I need very well.
    I suggest you hold the Bold in your hand and just work on it a bit. If you fall in love (as I have) with the Keyboard and the newer, wider touch screen you will have your answer.

I'd go with the Bold now. In fact, I did.
    04-18-12 02:58 PM
    Many of the things to consider are unique to each user. But who knows when the BB10 phones will finally hit? Also the only one set in stone is the all touch London, which I am not in the least interested in buying an all touch Blackberry. It just doesn't feel like a Blackberry without a real QWERTY kb.

So even though we all know the BB7 phones days are numbered, they are already here and from everything I am seeing the Bold touch/qwerty kb phones are pretty awesome.
    04-18-12 03:04 PM
    not sure if you want to switch carriers, but you can get a new Bold 9930 from Verizon for $80.

BlackBerry� Bold� 9930 (Verizon) | LetsTalk.com
    I've bought all of my phones from LetsTalk and they always offer better deals than the carriers.

It looks like they dont carry At&t phones anymore, though.

I switch to Verizon after At&t took too long to release the Bold. Best decision ever.
    I've been a customer to AT&T for 7 years already, so they treat me very nicely. I'd rather not switch over to another carrier to have a lower level of customer support. I really have been trying to look around for a website that would take my upgrade and allow me to get the phone refurbished.
    04-18-12 03:04 PM
    So do you need the phone while you're away at school?

If yes, I would say to get a Bold 9900 now. They're easy and cheap to unlock and you wouldn't have a problem using a foreign SIM card. You said you got the iPhone through an upgrade so that's a locked device, won't work with foreign SIM cards.... unless you go through the loops of jailbreaking.

If no, just wait. If you're waiting for a BB10 device with a keyboard, like the Bold 9900, then we are going to be playing the "waiting game" for a while..... based on word from RIM... which is old. The last official talks about BB10 devices stated that it would be a full touch device first, followed by a keyboard equipped device sometime later.
    04-18-12 03:59 PM
    So do you need the phone while you're away at school?

If yes, I would say to get a Bold 9900 now. They're easy and cheap to unlock and you wouldn't have a problem using a foreign SIM card. You said you got the iPhone through an upgrade so that's a locked device, won't work with foreign SIM cards.... unless you go through the loops of jailbreaking.

If no, just wait. If you're waiting for a BB10 device with a keyboard, like the Bold 9900, then we are going to be playing the "waiting game" for a while..... based on word from RIM... which is old. The last official talks about BB10 devices stated that it would be a full touch device first, followed by a keyboard equipped device sometime later.
    That's the thing, I don't want a full touch screen device, I want to get the 9900 now but there aren't any refurb ones in stock which would make it free for me.
    04-18-12 04:03 PM
    I've been a customer to AT&T for 7 years already, so they treat me very nicely. I'd rather not switch over to another carrier to have a lower level of customer support. I really have been trying to look around for a website that would take my upgrade and allow me to get the phone refurbished.
    I completely understand. I had At&t for that long, and never had any problems too.

But I figured, why should I wait on them to provide something I really wanted now?

I took my number to Verizon and Im very happy.

The only thing I really miss are my thousands of rollover minutes lol. But I get better coverage and more data for about the same price.
    04-19-12 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD