.... when you put in a new sim from an overseas carrier?

Noob question perhaps. Never unlocked this phone yet but would like to use it overseas.

I have a Q10 with BB10.

Basically I want to keep my phone in its current state with my current carrier without anything changing on it.

For example, I'd like the startup logo and carrier pushed apps to stay the same, and I don't want to receive any pushed apps from an overseas carrier.

In the past BBs, if you go on a new carrier, they change the service books and also push new apps to your phone. In effect, using an overseas carrier can change your phone. Is it like that for BB10?

I've heard that some people's BB10 startup image (with the carrier logo or the default BB logo) changes to the overseas carrier once they put in a new sim?
    12-02-15 11:55 PM
    The startup logo is saved within the SIM itself, so when you put a different carrier's SIM in your phone, you're always going to get their startup logo. But otherwise, nothing else (besides your phone number) is going to change.
    12-03-15 06:24 PM
    Except you may get spammed constantly as I did when I put a Chinese Sim in my Passport this summer. It was relentless Chinese advertisement every day. Some or all of it must have been pushed thru the carrier altho I admit I was on public WiFi in some areas as well.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-15 06:37 PM
    The startup logo is saved within the SIM itself, so when you put a different carrier's SIM in your phone, you're always going to get their startup logo. But otherwise, nothing else (besides your phone number) is going to change.
    Funny enough, my Q10 was bought at an independent tech store, not Telstra, first SIM put in was Telstra, and the Telstra logo never goes away...

Same with the Passport, bought at Optus, used with Boost (Telstra MVNO), data transferred from Q10 using BlackBerry Link. Telstra Logo never left, regardless of SIM used...

My red Q5 was a grey import to Australia, and shows a Claro logo... :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    12-03-15 10:23 PM
    Daym... so basically I shouldn't bother unlocking the phone and putting another SIM in it, as doing so basically changes the phone here too.

I'd really hate to be stuck with an overseas carrier pushed apps and the startup logo. Especially about changing the startup logo as there is no way to change that from the user's side in the settings. Right now I happen to have the BB logo as startup, which I really like.

The thing about possible spam is worrying too. That is the thing I worry about using public wifi or if the carrier has any effect on it somehow. Maybe the BB leaks your emails to the connected network be it wifi or WWAN data?
    12-04-15 03:40 AM