Alright, guys. I have been away from the BB scene since, well, the iPhone came out.

Now I am married, have a kid, and have a VERY different lifestyle. Instead of spending all our money on cars and phones, we are riding bicycles and using prepaid Huawei phones.

However, tracking our finances was so much easier on iOS, rather than running a spreadsheet at home. It is nice to carry your budget with you and what-not.

On iOS, I used PocketMoney. It was great! Provided me with budgets, charts, and a register. Is there an app like this? I have glimpsed at the App World, but have not found one that great. If you all could help me save time (I work a lot!), I would much appreciate the suggestions!

Also, unlocking. We have AT&T prepaid. Let's say I get a T-Mobile. How would I unlock it? With iPhones, it's easy - just run the software. Is it the same for BB? I imagine that it is much different, and varies widely with the specific device in question.

Thank you!
    03-18-12 09:05 PM
    As to the unlocking question, just go into the unlocking forum and contact one of the unlocking vendors and either purchase a code or enter one of their contests to win a code.

Then just enter the code following the instructions that will come with the code. It's easy.

You will not get 3G, however, using an AT&T device on TMobile or vice versa (if that is important to you).

Just a couple of other points to note as far as data usage and using the device on AT&T.

If you want BlackBerry Data, you won't be able to get that on AT&T on prepaid. You will have to be on a contract plan. Note also that if you activate a BlackBerry on a regular AT&T plan, they will automatically add the data plan.

On TMobile, you can have a BlackBerry active without a data plan. You can also get BlackBerry Data on prepaid currently.

And lastly, you need a BlackBerry Data Plan (a generic data plan won't work) in order to get access to data features such as push email, BBM, Facebook, etc.

And no idea on a budgeting application.
    03-18-12 09:22 PM
    I should have mentioned that I do not want data.

One of the guys at my local AT&T store said we could use our iPhones as prepaid phones, so I assume it may be the same for Blackberry. Hmm...
    03-18-12 09:35 PM
    On AT&T Prepaid, you can use a BlackBerry without a data plan. On a regular plan, you cannot.

Note that you will not get access to any data features (BlackBerry App Work and Blackberry Browser) even over WiFi.
    03-18-12 09:52 PM
    On AT&T Prepaid, you can use a BlackBerry without a data plan. On a regular plan, you cannot.

Note that you will not get access to any data features (BlackBerry App Work and Blackberry Browser) even over WiFi.
    Whoa! No data over WiFi? Now THAT is jacked up!

Okay then. Cheap iPhone, it is!
    03-18-12 11:34 PM
    You need a BlackBerry Data Plan if you want to access data features. Once you have the proper data plan, you will, however, be able to access data features over WiFi.

One of your posts said, "I don't want data". Many times when people say that they really mean "I don't want to PAY for data". Sounds like that might be the situation in this case.
    03-19-12 06:52 AM
    One of your posts said, "I don't want data". Many times when people say that they really mean "I don't want to PAY for data". Sounds like that might be the situation in this case.
    Um, no.

We dumped the iPhones after years of use because we realized the importance of saving v. spending.

With an iPhone, you can use WiFi no matter what. But you're telling me that with a BlackBerry, they will charge you, even if you are NOT using their network? How does that not sound like a scam to you?

Anyways... No, thank you.
    03-19-12 09:58 AM
    BlackBerry phone require an added Data Plan, specifically for BlackBerry devices.

It is possible to use a BlackBerry without a Data Plan and still get WiFi working, but none of the native BlackBerry apps will work. Docs2Go has an ok spreadsheet. BlackBerry does have quite a few financial apps, and money tracking apps.

No, BlackBerry will not just charge you if you use WiFi, but you don't need a BlackBerry, you need an old Android or iPhone.

To be honest, you should pick up a cheap flip (Non smart phone) and then pick up a WiFi only tablet. Probably save you money. Nothing is free, yeah, I know you can use your iphone's WiFi without paying more, and that is because of the way BlackBerry works. It's not a scam. It may seem like one because it probably hasn't been explained to you in detail, but it works as intended.
    03-19-12 10:06 AM
    Um, no.

We dumped the iPhones after years of use because we realized the importance of saving v. spending.

With an iPhone, you can use WiFi no matter what. But you're telling me that with a BlackBerry, they will charge you, even if you are NOT using their network? How does that not sound like a scam to you?

Anyways... No, thank you.
    BlackBerry devices work differently from other devices.

If you "don't need data", then it's not an issue. If you want to use data, but don't want to pay for the data plan needed to activate the data features, then you will not be able to do that.

You need a BlackBerry Data Plan if you want to access data features. Once you have the proper data plan, you will, however, be able to access data features over WiFi.
    03-19-12 12:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD