What EXACTLY does unlocked mean??
    10-29-18 02:20 PM
    Factory unlocked or network unlocked?

If the latter, then one can stick in a SIM card from any compatible network (i.e. with the right bands and such) and one should get service. Advanced services like WiFi calling or visual voicemail or other such things are probably not going to work, but that's unfortunately to be expected with some carriers.

If the former, then not only does that encompass network unlocking, but there's also no attachment to a carrier in terms of branding, update schedule, etc. How different this is from just buying a phone from a carrier and network unlocking it depends on the exact phone variant involved.
    10-29-18 02:28 PM
    Thanks. I purchased a factory unlocked Z30 (I am on AT&T) so I guess I did the right thing after all.
    10-29-18 05:00 PM
    Thanks. I purchased a factory unlocked Z30 (I am on AT&T) so I guess I did the right thing after all.
    Whoa... hold on there. Which model Z30 did you get? There were several and only a few will work with AT&T. At least, with AT&T's LTE.

The STA100-1 was supposed to be for AT&T, but they never sold it (would have been carrier locked anyway). However, some pre-release devices were made and used by some BlackBerry and maybe some AT&T employees back when they were about to be released. So, they are out there, but not easy to find. Don't know if the ones out there were carrier locked, though.

As I understand it, the next best model would be the STA100-5, except that it's missing LTE band 17 that AT&T is using more of all over, so the best you might get is 3G / HSPA+ (which AT&T calls regular 4G, but it's not real 4G LTE). If you're okay with just 3G/ H+, then the STA100-3 will work too. Just no LTE at all because of band incompatibilities.
    garfers likes this.
    10-29-18 05:44 PM
    Whoa... hold on there. Which model Z30 did you get? There were several and only a few will work with AT&T. At least, with AT&T's LTE.

The STA100-1 was supposed to be for AT&T, but they never sold it (would have been carrier locked anyway). However, some pre-release devices were made and used by some BlackBerry and maybe some AT&T employees back when they were about to be released. So, they are out there, but not easy to find. Don't know if the ones out there were carrier locked, though.

As I understand it, the next best model would be the STA100-5, except that it's missing LTE band 17 that AT&T is using more of all over, so the best you might get is 3G / HSPA+ (which AT&T calls regular 4G, but it's not real 4G LTE). If you're okay with just 3G/ H+, then the STA100-3 will work too. Just no LTE at all because of band incompatibilities.
    10-31-18 06:48 PM

CRAP! I had a reply typed out and it disappeared! Anyways my Z30 is: STA100-5 / Software release 10.3.3.1359 / Serial # 0728-5468-XXXX / UMTS Operating Bands Capability 1,2,4,5,6 / LTE Bands Capa 4,5,7. We have horrible service where we live anyways so we rarely get calls on our cells. But, maybe I'll return it... because I really love it and want the BB OS...
    10-31-18 06:53 PM
    joeldf ........Can you let me know what you think about the specs of my phone! You seem to be the only one that knows anything about it....pretty please....."BIG SMILE" (sorry, I"m desperate!!)

Z30 is: STA100-5 / Software release 10.3.3.1359 / Serial # 0728-5468-XXXX / UMTS Operating Bands Capability 1,2,4,5,6 / LTE Bands Capa 4,5,7.
    11-01-18 08:13 PM
    joeldf ........Can you let me know what you think about the specs of my phone! You seem to be the only one that knows anything about it....pretty please....."BIG SMILE" (sorry, I"m desperate!!)

Z30 is: STA100-5 / Software release 10.3.3.1359 / Serial # 0728-5468-XXXX / UMTS Operating Bands Capability 1,2,4,5,6 / LTE Bands Capa 4,5,7.
    It appears you have the factory unlocked model. You will have 3G and 4G HSPA data. You will not have LTE in many areas on AT&T network since it’s missing some of the bands. Unfortunately, the -5 is the closest version to -1 full AT&T compatible that was never officially released.
    11-01-18 08:37 PM
    Thanks! I appreciate the help!
    11-01-18 10:59 PM
    Yes, what Chuck said. .
    garfers likes this.
    11-02-18 12:19 AM
    Would it matter if I used wi-fi whenever possible or does it even make a difference? I don't get many calls on my cell anyways so I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that I didn't waste $100,,,if I have too many problems, I'll just have to switch and get a Motion!!
    11-02-18 07:43 PM
    Would it matter if I used wi-fi whenever possible or does it even make a difference? I don't get many calls on my cell anyways so I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that I didn't waste $100,,,if I have too many problems, I'll just have to switch and get a Motion!!
    In the USA, Motion is harder to find. The BB VKB is already not competitively priced due to licensing costs and small batch manufacturing. The scarcity means that sometimes all you can find are third party retailers selling with additional premium. Give the Z30 a whirl. If you are going BBAndroid VKB, Android Flagship with different OEM adding the BB Suite may be a better deal for you.
    11-02-18 09:43 PM
    I think I'll hang on until I can't deal with problems (if I have any) because I really do love BB OS. From the minute I tried one 15 years ago, maybe longer, it's just felt right. To me, it thinks the way I do! Hope I'm not opening a can of worms here, but what is BB Suite?
    11-04-18 04:38 PM