Okay lets say i broke my old phone and my parents want to buy me a crappy phone from walmart, now i want a blackkberry and i was planning on saving up for one but that would take a while wait and i dont want to ask my parents for money atm. So can i keep the same contract and get an unlocked phone?? Or do i need a sim card because my phones sim card is built in (my phone is an keybo lg 2)
    And if i need a sim could i by one under the same contract?
    03-27-12 06:51 PM
    This is really a question for your particular carrier however if you are currently under contract chances are you're going to have to pay full retail for phone anyway so you could theoretically buy an unlocked phone get a Sim card and use it. My carrier will give me a replacement Sim card for free I imagine yours will also. It should not affect your contract.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    03-27-12 06:56 PM
    Oh wow that sounds great!! So I could buy (example blackberry) from an unlocked phone store and then activate a sim card from my carrier (telus) and my plan will not be effected!
    03-27-12 07:02 PM
    That's how it works with my carrier. I would check with your carrier but I think it's safe to say if you buy the phone outright you merely have to honor your current contractual obligation and getting a new Sim card should not affect that in any way shape or form.

03-27-12 07:05 PM
    It would be best to call Telus before purchasing a BB. You'll likely have to modify your existing plan for a BB..... So yes your plan will be effected.
    03-27-12 07:21 PM
    Yah, I believe it is so. I am also on a contract with Telus, and I also p.an to swap out phones later this year to a BB10 device. It doesn't break the contract
    03-27-12 07:22 PM
    It would be best to call Telus before purchasing a BB. You'll likely have to modify your existing plan for a BB..... So yes your plan will be effected.
    He asked about his contract. If he's bringing his own phone to the table his contract should not be affected at all. He will have to serve the remainder of the term.

As far as I know changing your plan will not affect your contract either so adding BlackBerry services is a minor point.

03-27-12 07:28 PM
    Oh okay im going to go to my carrier soon and then get a sim, and can i just activated it??
    03-27-12 08:39 PM
    They will activate the Sim card for you, however if you intend to use a BlackBerry you will need to add a blackberry data plan to use it to its fullest potential.

03-27-12 09:21 PM
    He asked about his contract. If he's bringing his own phone to the table his contract should not be affected at all. He will have to serve the remainder of the term.

As far as I know changing your plan will not affect your contract either so adding BlackBerry services is a minor point.

Agreed, first post he asked about his contract, however he later said
    Oh wow that sounds great!! So I could buy (example blackberry) from an unlocked phone store and then activate a sim card from my carrier (telus) and my plan will not be effected!
    That is what I replied to.... Given the dumb phone he is using now (or was using) It's likely going to add $$$ to his monthly bill... Just thought he should be aware *shrugs*
    03-27-12 10:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD