Just got the 8520, and loving it. But it has not yet come out with Rogers so I have it unlocked. I am unable to use bbm because of it, or atleast this is what rogers has told me. Is there anything I can do to fix it bbm is one of the reasons I wanted a blackberry in the first place! Thank youuu
    10-04-09 10:22 PM
    um, as long as the phone is unlocked and has a clear PIN you should be able to use all of the blackberry features with no problem. where did you buy the phone from? do you even have a blackberry data plan?
    10-04-09 10:35 PM
    yeah i have the data plan with rogers, and i have the pin, but the person from rogers i spoke with said that im conected to edge not EDGE and that is causing problems and that an unlocked phone cannot be used with it unless i download the rogers software which is only available around christmas time. but then again its rogers and they arent allowed to say anything that promotes something other than their plans and phones soo...
    10-04-09 10:49 PM
    um, as long as the phone is unlocked and has a clear PIN you should be able to use all of the blackberry features with no problem. where did you buy the phone from? do you even have a blackberry data plan?
    Ya, data plan is needed here. You don't even need to tell them what you have, just say you want a BB data plan and SIM card. Easy enough. Sometimes the reps will give you grief if you say you're using an unlocked phone so I usually recommend they keep that quiet.
    10-04-09 10:49 PM
    all you have to do is log into your rogers BIS account. add the PIN and IMEI to the account and it will start sending your service books to you.
    10-04-09 11:01 PM
    where do i add the pin and IMEI? sorry its my first bb
    10-05-09 11:08 AM
    Okay, here's the easy way:
    Click here and create a new account.
    Enter your PIN and IMEI numbers. You can find them both on your Berry. Click the 'Options' icon, and scroll down to 'Status'. Click on it and you have your PIN and IMEI. They're also on the sticker under your battery.

Once you've got your PIN and IMEI entered, just follow the instructions.
    10-05-09 11:35 AM
    thank you all SO muchh, i have to register my phone with my wireless service provider, i sent in the request, i am just hoping that because the phone is not yet in existence with rogers it will not enable me to register it.
    10-05-09 11:51 AM
    Thats weird. I was talking to a rogers customer service rep on friday and he told he could order me a 8520 in either lavender or black and that it came out two days ago. he said that it is not on the website, but they do have it. it is 99.99 on a 3 year new activation or 449.99 outright. He told me to wait for the 9700 since it is a higher end phone ( I have the 8900 now). That it will be out before the end of october and to wait.
    10-05-09 12:13 PM
    thank you all SO muchh, i have to register my phone with my wireless service provider, i sent in the request, i am just hoping that because the phone is not yet in existence with rogers it will not enable me to register it.
    No problem. Rogers is pretty good with tech support. If they won't/can't help you, just ask for a supervisor.
    Thats weird. I was talking to a rogers customer service rep on friday and he told he could order me a 8520 in either lavender or black and that it came out two days ago. he said that it is not on the website, but they do have it. it is 99.99 on a 3 year new activation or 449.99 outright. He told me to wait for the 9700 since it is a higher end phone ( I have the 8900 now). That it will be out before the end of october and to wait.
    Yeah, the 9700 is 3G... and the new Flagship model.
    The 8520 is the new entry level, but still awesome!
    I was thinking about a 9700, but I got a used 8900, and I'm waiting for Dakota!
    Last edited by smnc; 10-05-09 at 12:21 PM.
    10-05-09 12:19 PM
    i went to rogers and i can use bbm as soon as they launch it, they have not launched it yet im not sure where you heard that i went to three rogers stores today.. it should be out sometime in the next two weeks but it will not be equiped with wifi.
    10-05-09 03:12 PM
    No the 8520 is not officially out yet with Rogers, though it should drop anytime now. The staff are trained, the dummy phones are in...

Yes, ALL 8520's do have WiFi.
    That's what the xx20 in 8520 means. GSM with WiFi.
    It also implies that they'll be an 8510 with GSM and GPS but no WiFi, later.
    10-05-09 03:56 PM
    okay well i am just repeating what the rogers personnel have told me, in any event, my problem will be solved as soon as the software comes out, and i was also informed that they have the dummy phones but have NOT yet been trained. Really its irrelevant.
    10-05-09 08:34 PM
    Lo... Robers is going to get eaten ALIVE when the competition starts in a month or two...

Are you under contract, or month to month?
    10-05-09 10:00 PM
    Lo... Robers is going to get eaten ALIVE when the competition starts in a month or two...

Are you under contract, or month to month?
    yeah thats why i am having issues with my phone lol i didnt want to renew the contract so i got a blackberry elsewhere now im stuck with a phone that is not out yet lol but yeah cant wait to scope out the competition this january
    10-06-09 12:33 PM
    Actually Bell is ready to launch their competing network NOW, and it will officially launch next month

Also, according to the Crackberry blog, the 8520 is being shipped to stores RIGHT NOW
    Should launch any day.
    10-06-09 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD