I'm interested in getting the 8900 via T-Mobile and it will be my first Blackberry if it's right for me. My question is, would Unite! allow me to have my own web-browser through my desktop without having to subscribe to the BIS data plan with TMO? Can I use Opera Mini with it? I do have the grandfathered T-Zone data plan.
    01-09-09 01:11 PM
    No it wouldn't.
    01-09-09 01:19 PM
    I read that it's a separate browser that goes through the MDS-CS server (BIS?). If so, what can I browse with it on my desktop and how does it access my desktop remotely?

How about WAP, could I set the 8900 to browse via WAP through my T-Zones plan?

Sorry, these questions may seem basic as I'm new to this.
    01-09-09 01:25 PM
    01-09-09 01:42 PM
    Unite will actually let you use the BlackBerry Unite Browser (which is the same as the regular BlackBerry Browser as far as I can see) while your BB is connected to the PC via USB even if you don't have BIS or BES. Also, the synchronisation is only possible while connected via USB.

This will probably make Unite pretty useless to most users without a data plan, apart from the fact that you can use the Browser to install applications OTA (over-the-air) which is not possible with Opera or any other 3rd party browser.

To use Opera without a BB data plan, you don't need Unite however. You only need to set up TCP (on your BB: "options > advanced > TCP") correctly with your carrier's APN, username and password; this information can easily be found on the internet. This setting will also make most other 3rd party applications work that require an internet connection.

BTW: there is even a way to get the BlackBerry browser to work without a BB data plan, but this is not for the faint-hearted ; follow this link: bb.anworm.com/Home/english.
    01-11-09 11:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD