Like so many people I got totally screwed by Unite. I tried it and found it wasn't for me and then uninstalled it and my 8830 was then left with a crippled 8830 with an IT policy and a disabled firewall. Of course I only found out the problems when I started Googling and reading on the forums. And then I realised just how many other people also got screwed. I must have spent about 6 or 7 hours on this (I was stupid enough to try this at midnight last night) and wiped my device numerous times and tried everything including hacking a beta of the 4.5 OS for an 8800 to try and get it to load on my 8330 since the JL_Cmder default to factory option requires the later OS, hacking the policy by doing the Windows registry policy.bin thing, etc. At one point my 8830 was doing the flashing red light of death thing but I managed to get it going again.

In the end while I could remove the policy, my firewall is permanently disabled. Fortunately it's not so bad once you have enabled the firewall for all the relevant apps, however as someone in the software development industry my rant is simply that RIM !@#$ed big time on this. I normally wax lyrical in my praise of RIM but this one was a really major screwup for a company that usually has such high quality production.

The morons that did it should have their asses kicked!

End of rant.

If anybody knows how I can get the firewall enabled again, I would greatly appreciate it. As far as I know I am screwed until 4.5 comes out for the 8830 because there is no beta of it to be found anywhere (8800 yes but 8830 no). Then in theory I can use JL_Cmder.
    05-29-08 02:18 AM
    I can totally relate to your anger!! I too was trying to undo the Unite nightmare until about 3 am the other night. Don't know if this helps, but I did this to hold me until the new OS is released.

If you pm me I will send you the link. Seems I don't have enough points to post links. Sorry.

I followed these instructions "If your device is running OS 4.2 or lower you will need to do the following." My firewall is enabled. Good luck.

Kelly
    05-30-08 11:28 AM
    Should have mentioned this. What it does is put a blank IT policy on your phone.
    05-30-08 11:30 AM
    Thanks for the info. Bad JuJu in Unite. Stay away. Do not tresspass. Will do. Good luck.
    05-30-08 11:38 AM
    Glad you got it working!
    05-30-08 11:47 AM
    Just to clarify. Following the instructions to the link will put a blank IT policy on your phone to override the Unite policy.
    05-30-08 12:01 PM
    kelly, I have PM'ed you. I'd certainly like to try whatever you did but I am doubtful. I tried a blank policy thing and it didn't work and some stuff I read indicated that this can happen - that setting the blank policy will still not enable the firewall.
    06-03-08 12:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD