Morning/Afternoon/Evening guys. I've a Torch on VodafoneUK running .450. I would like to sync word to go etc files with the computer at home but keep getting the message to disable mass storage mode first. I realise this sounds thick but how do I do this.
    Thanks Guys.
    02-22-11 05:04 AM
    Mass Storage Mode is actualy quite simple. In this mode the Media Card (microSD) is configured as a USB drive. When you plug the phone into your PC, the BlackBerry Media Card will show up in Computer (C: drive, CD/DVD player, etc.) as another drive. You may now drag and drop files to and from this drive at will.

The down side of this mode is that during Mass Storage Mode, the phone is unable to access the Media Card. This is why you need to choose wheter you wish to use Mass Storage Mode or not.
    Lego Star Wars likes this.
    02-22-11 05:28 AM
    It works kind of backwards. If you are using Desktop Manager to access your BB and sync files, you need Mass Storage Mode turned OFF, because DM accesses the BB's OS to see the file system. When plugging your device in, choose "Sync Media" or "Charge Only".

If you are just wanting to drag and drop files to your media card like you would a flash drive in Windows, you need Mass Storage Mode turned ON. This effectively bypasses the BBOS and just treats your BB like a USB card reader. When plugging your device in, choose "USB Drive."

Actually, I just noticed that in the dialog box that pops when plugging in your device, there is a link to "Learn More". So I learned something new today. I've always ignored that...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by rrrebo; 02-22-11 at 06:41 AM.
    02-22-11 06:33 AM
  4. T
    One other thing to note is that if you have content protection on, and your media card has encrypted files, you won't be able to read/view them if you transfer them from your device to your pc using mass storage mode; they will remain encrypted. That function must be performed using Desktop Manager with mass storage mode off. And it's my understanding that the newest version of Desktop Software (version 6?) doesn't even have the capability to do this with encrypted files. If you need the capability of transferring encrypted media card files back and forth between device and pc, RIM offers the workaround of installing an earlier version of Desktop Software, Desktop Manager version 5, to wit, and using it's Roxio Media Manager feature. That's what I do.

Last edited by Tnis; 02-22-11 at 08:20 AM.
    02-22-11 08:15 AM
    Roxio Media Mangler is TERRIBLE! Slow as molasses.
    02-22-11 08:46 AM
  6. T
    I know. And very buggy -- crashes a lot. But I don't think there's any other way.

02-22-11 08:49 AM
    Ok guys. All sorted. Thanky Kindly. All thanks buttons pushed..
    02-22-11 09:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD