Backstory: My wife took a short video clip of a dance recital practice session on her iPhone4. Two hours later, before we could back it up, our 2 yo deleted it while entertaining herself. Search high and low on the internet, and had to tell her the bad news about the clip being gone forever. I then ragged on the phone to my peers after getting negative feedback from my request for help to them. But I got to worrying that I wouldn't be able to recover it from my Torch 9860 either.

Relevant Question: I got to thinking that if the video had been taken on my Torch and saved onto the microSD card, would it be possible to recover it? I was thinking I could just plug the unprotected card/phone into the WinXP computer and use a recovery software to recover the file. Is that workable?

Had told my wife that if she had an Android or a BB with microSD card, she wouldn't be in this mess. Please tell me I didn't exaggerate to her (she won't know either way )... trying to get a convert here.
    05-20-12 09:53 PM
    You answered your own question Go Bold.

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    05-20-12 11:10 PM
    Use a program called EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Free Edition 5.5.1. I have used it in the past and it will undelete almost everything that has ever been on that card. Hope it works for you. They give you a trial of up to 1 or 2 GBs for free until you have to buy it. Do a web search.
    05-20-12 11:31 PM
    I'm not sure whether or not it could be recovered from the SD card, but I'm sure that it's possible one way or another (everything is!) edit - apparently so! See the below posts

However, it may be recoverable from the iPhone - have a look at the YouTube link in the first post of this thread:-

http://forums.crackberry.com/apple-i...-funny-716951/

If it's an important video for the two of you, that might be worth investigating. If it's not, keep quiet about this post

Barljo
    Last edited by Barljo; 05-21-12 at 06:55 AM.
    05-21-12 02:41 AM
    A BlackBerry Media Card is just a Windows FAT32 formatted disk. It therefore conforms to the normal DOS/Windows rules of delete/undelete.

By far the best way of undeleting a file or folder from a Media Card is to plug it into your PC either whilst it is still in yor BlackBerry or directly into your PC's USB socket via an adapter.

Once it is connected to the PC, there are myriad programs that wil undelete a deleted file and a Google search should reveal these. Many are free or have free trials as has already been said.

A word of warning however is that when a PC (Media Card) file has been deleted the disk space it occupies is thrown back into the free pool of space and it immediately available for other newly created files to use. Once overwitten, deleted file will be impossible to recover. Speed in undeletion is therefore of the essence.

Files on disk are made up of blocks of data and a large file such as a video file will occupy a number of blocks. The blocks are scattered across the disk and if only one is re-used by another file then there will be a chunk missing from your recovered file. Again, move quickly to undelete.
    05-21-12 03:57 AM
    Another thing to do is as soon as you realized that the file is missing, stop using the device, or pull out the media card, to lessen the chance that it can be over written.

Sent from 9810 using Tapatalk
    05-21-12 04:54 AM
    Thank you all for your help. I have access to a recovery software, but it's only for windows. I didn't know if it would be compatible. Now knowing it's compatible, I can leave my devices for the kids with confidence (they climb chairs to access countertops). I'll also check on Barljo's link. Thanks again for the info, everyone. It's a great day to be bold!
    05-21-12 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD