This thing cost $2000, and it sold more in 2 months than the KEY2 and LE in a year and a half.

Mind. Blown.

https://www.androidauthority.com/sam...mbers-1065671/
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-12-19 12:43 PM
    Wow! Just Wow! And that's at $2,600 CDN starting price! If they would guarantee the same OS upgrade and security update longevity as the iphones, I would consider one in a heartbeat! But for 2 years service, HARD PASS!

Posted via my Passport
    Last edited by Crusader03; 12-12-19 at 01:33 PM.
    12-12-19 01:18 PM
    Wow! Just Wow! And that's at $2,600 CDN starting price! If they would guarantee the same OS upgrade and security update longevity as the iphones, I would consider one in a heartbeat! But for 2 years service, PASS!

Posted via my Passport
    The worst part is that the successor Fold 2 is expected to launch in spring of 2020!

Biggest slap in the face for those who shelled out 2 grand for this thing just two months ago
    12-12-19 01:24 PM
    The worst part is that the successor Fold 2 is expected to launch in spring of 2020!

Biggest slap in the face for those who shelled out 2 grand for this thing just two months ago
    Anyone who spent that kind of money on an intro product knows what they're getting into I'm sure.

Me, I'd wait until gen 3 at the earliest.
    12-12-19 02:21 PM
    Anyone who spent that kind of money on an intro product knows what they're getting into I'm sure.

Me, I'd wait until gen 3 at the earliest.
    Ok, durability of a first gen product aside, look at the release gap between the two!!

It's almost like they just wanted to offload their only batch of Folds while knowing exactly what was flawed in the design and as soon as most inventory got liquidated, they immediately started working on the Fold 2 prototype.

Man, and I thought OnePlus's 6 month cycle was bad, this is on a whole new level of absurd.

If I was a Fold gen 1 owner, I'd sell that thing immediately because the value will plummet like a stone once the Fold 2 comes out with a more durable design.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-12-19 02:43 PM
    Ok, durability of a first gen product aside, look at the release gap between the two!!

It's almost like they just wanted to offload their only batch of Folds while knowing exactly what was flawed in the design and as soon as most inventory got liquidated, they immediately started working on the Fold 2 prototype.

Man, and I thought OnePlus's 6 month cycle was bad, this is on a whole new level of absurd.

If I was a Fold gen 1 owner, I'd sell that thing immediately because the value will plummet like a stone once the Fold 2 comes out with a more durable design.
    The first-in crowd don't really care about value. They just want it now. 2 million barely registers on the Samsung scale.
    Laura Knotek and skinnymike1 like this.
    12-12-19 02:45 PM
    The first-in crowd don't really care about value. They just want it now. 2 million barely registers on the Samsung scale.
    That's insane how many units they were able to sell so quickly (It is a good thing because foldables do seem to be more interesting than plain glass slabs, so I wouldn't mind seeing more of them)

But people think they wouldn't be able to push a million $500 PKB devices a year with the kind of marketing power they have and carrier/retailer relations?

Give me a break lol
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-12-19 02:49 PM

Is surprising that they sold so many in such a short period of time... I don't know what they were expecting, but at $2,500 I didn't think they'd sell many at all.

While Android's don't hold their value well.... I doubt you'll see prices for these plummet. Still going to be a process of supply and demand.... some that can't afford the new will take the old at a discount. (depending on how many make it that long)
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-12-19 02:54 PM
    That's insane how many units they were able to sell so quickly (It is a good thing because foldables do seem to be more interesting than plain glass slabs, so I wouldn't mind seeing more of them)

But people think they wouldn't be able to push a million $500 PKB devices a year with the kind of marketing power they have and carrier/retailer relations?

Give me a break lol
    That's peanuts to Samsung.

Their foldables however might eventually sell a couple hundred million a year - or more.
    12-12-19 02:55 PM
    This thing cost $2000, and it sold more in 2 months than the KEY2 and LE in a year and a half.

Mind. Blown.

https://www.androidauthority.com/sam...mbers-1065671/
    I always believed this will be a successful product for its flexibility that everyone wants. Must have phone for all as we can use it as a phone and a tablet. Sensational and this is called innovation.

Classic is magic!
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-12-19 03:13 PM
    So then why not? As long as they wouldn't lose money on it.

Even if it just breaks even or makes a small profit, it would get more media attention and broaden their portfolio.
    12-12-19 03:18 PM
    So then why not? As long as they wouldn't lose money on it.

Even if it just breaks even or makes a small profit, it would get more media attention and broaden their portfolio.
    There are probably 100 projects higher on their priority list that would be worth their attention long before this.
    12-12-19 03:19 PM

Their foldables however might eventually sell a couple hundred million a year - or more.
    Never mind how the technology get applied in other areas...

Next TV might be installed by a guy that normally puts in wallpaper.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-12-19 03:20 PM
    I’ve played on both the Samsung Galaxy Fold and Huawei Mate X (took the pic from my Instagram page ) and can see why people have splurged, these things feel like the future in your hand, nothing more bizarre than when you open or close them, a part of you is like “WTF how is it doing that!?”

12-12-19 03:20 PM
    I’ve played on both the Samsung Galaxy Fold and Huawei Mate X (took the pic from my Instagram page ) and can see why people have splurged, these things feel like the future in your hand, nothing more bizarre than when you open or close them, a part of you is like “WTF how is it doing that!?”

[IMG=3024x4032]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191212/6881172874798d745c229d7d3860aff6.jpg[/url][IMG=3024x4032]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191212/b0a28aa34dbbeb8d274b769ec53317f3.jpg[/url]
    [IMG=1024x1017]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191212/36f0c3e45223abd111895cbfab997cd4.jpg[/url]
    Now if they made a Fold with a PKB underneath the outer display and with a stylus, it would be the ultimate device!!!

The top and bottom bezels of the Fold's outer screen are so huge, they could easily have pushed the screen up a bit and slapped a PKB under it (instead of all this dead space)
    12-12-19 03:25 PM
    Now if they made a Fold with a PKB underneath the outer display and with a stylus, it would be the ultimate device!!!

The top and bottom bezels of the Fold's outer screen are so huge, they could easily have pushed the screen up a bit and slapped a PKB under it (instead of all this dead space)
    So basically like a Nokia Communicator front but with QWERTY on the outside? That would be interesting
    John Albert likes this.
    12-12-19 03:28 PM

[IMG=3024x4032]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191212/6881172874798d745c229d7d3860aff6.jpg[/url][IMG=3024x4032]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191212/b0a28aa34dbbeb8d274b769ec53317f3.jpg[/url]
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3a7b85a1.plisthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...65ebc1ad.plist
    Looks great!
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    12-12-19 03:30 PM
    So basically like a Nokia Communicator front but with QWERTY on the outside? That would be interesting
    [IMG=554x554]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191212/27ffbc0bdd3b551a1d7b4d85e3dba84f.jpg[/url]
    Well yeah, like that except a bit more rejuvenated lol.

I can't believe I got a defender of slabs to agree with me on how a PKB should be implemented on a mobile device in 2020+ !!

I mean come on, who likes the Fold's tiny narrow outer display.
    It really feels like an afterthought, the kind that says "Well Samsung worked for years on the inner one but then we only had a few weeks before having to send it into production so we came up with this"

Now with a PKB under it, all that space suddenly makes sense!

Add an S-Pen in there just like on a Note phone, and you have yourself a killer do-it-all mobile device!

Leave the laptop/iPad at home!
    12-12-19 03:52 PM
    Have yet to see one is all I am saying.
    12-12-19 03:55 PM
    Well yeah, like that except a bit more rejuvenated lol.

I can't believe I got a defender of slabs to agree with me on how a PKB should be implemented on a mobile device in 2020+ !!

I mean come on, who likes the Fold's tiny narrow outer display.
    It really feels like an afterthought, the kind that says "Well Samsung worked for years on the inner one but then we only had a few weeks before having to send it into production so we came up with this"

Now with a PKB under it, all that space suddenly makes sense!

Add an S-Pen in there just like on a Note phone, and you have yourself a killer do-it-all mobile device!

Leave the laptop/iPad at home!
    So my main beef with the Galaxy Fold is that Outer display indeed, you and I are aligned on that one hence I am low key hoping the a Huawei Mate X beats the Fold because I damn near fell in love with the Mate X when I tried it.

As for your idea about PKB on the outside, it does make sense, and Samsung are pretty much the only OEM who would probably try that, I am imagining a Key2-esque front

I think part of the problem right now is that Hinge mechanism in the Fold is huge and then also accommodating the inner display support underneath along with the battery......and guess what? This is where a smaller 5nm SoC can help free up space in the following iterations of the Fold.

Do you know what will happen though? Samsung will basically create a Galaxy Note10-esque front in future iterations of the Fold, unfortunately for you Boon , lol. The point of the foldable is for it to be a normal smartphone when folded aka Slab, and then become a tablet when opened, but the current Galaxy Fold is more of a concept gone public while still in Beta.

The Huawei Mate X better represents in a way what we will see in about 5 years, except instead of folding out we will see them Fold in. The Mate X currently when Folded has a 6.6inch Display that folds out to a 8inch mini tablet, Samsung will eventually evolve to the Inward Folding Galaxy Fold to that sort of setup when they can free up space on the outer face.
    12-12-19 04:03 PM
    I always believed this will be a successful product for its flexibility that everyone wants. Must have phone for all as we can use it as a phone and a tablet. Sensational and this is called innovation.

Classic is magic!
    I have some interest in Microsoft's idea for a folding device that's an Android Windows Hybrid, though I'd wait for 3rd Gen of anything like Conite says.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    bh7171 likes this.
    12-12-19 04:09 PM

[IMG=3024x4032]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191212/6881172874798d745c229d7d3860aff6.jpg[/url]
    Is that brand new? That crease down the middle is horrible.

Ripe for splitting in a few months.
    12-12-19 04:13 PM
    I have some interest in Microsoft's idea for a folding device that's an Android Windows Hybrid, though I'd wait for 3rd Gen of anything like Conite says.

Interesting, just waiting to see if there will be any integration between android and Windows. For example, if I'm watching a video on android screen, it should be able to play that in Windows big screen in case if I switch to. If they can do this at least for media, then it will be good.

Irrespective of that, a device which will be served as a phone and PC itself is an exciting idea.
    12-12-19 04:15 PM

Microsoft has an Android folder and a Windows folder but has not announced a hybrid.
    12-12-19 04:24 PM
    Do you know what will happen though? Samsung will basically create a Galaxy Note10-esque front in future iterations of the Fold, unfortunately for you Boon , lol. The point of the foldable is for it to be a normal smartphone when folded aka Slab, and then become a tablet when opened.
    The fierce hatred towards the PKB would remain...

Plus that would eat into Note device sales
    12-12-19 05:30 PM
131 123 ...