I can't get my Storm to find any satellites! Tried BlackBerry Maps, Google Maps and Garmin Mobile. None are able to acquire GPS signal! Went to the local Verizon store and their demo Storm wasn't able to find satellite either!!! They would not exchange my phone nor try a new one out of the box to see if that one would work. Has anyone else had similar problems? Have you been able to get it to work? I believe that the GPS part of my phone is defective. What do you think? Thank you for any and all help and advice!
    Last edited by LivingInParadise; 03-18-09 at 11:20 AM.
    03-17-09 09:17 AM
    go to options>advanced options>gps> and make sure the gps services is set to location on..
    03-17-09 09:34 AM
    go to options>advanced options>gps> and make sure the gps services is set to location on..
    GPS is set to LOCATION ON.
    03-17-09 10:16 AM
    this may sound stupid, but you're outside right? it wont work indoors.
    03-17-09 10:56 AM
    Since the Storm uses actual GPS satellites, you must be outside in order to get a lock. The only exception is VZ Nav, which uses aGPS with help from the cell towers.
    03-17-09 10:57 AM
    [QUOTE=acidsamuraix;1986630]this may sound stupid, but you're outside right? it wont work indoors.[/QUOTE]

Yes, have been outside when trying! Note: Have tried in several different locations but am unable to connect. Bad phone?
    03-17-09 11:03 AM
    also, are you giving it a good amount of time. Google maps is usually pretty fast for me, but the Geotagging on the camera and weatherbug can both take a good couple of minutes to get the location.

Also, if your GPS is enabled, there'll be a little icon that looks like a target with 3 sonar type waves coming out of it on the right, just below the 1XEV, indicating that your GPS is turned on. Are you seeing that icon?
    03-17-09 11:33 AM
    also, are you giving it a good amount of time. Google maps is usually pretty fast for me, but the Geotagging on the camera and weatherbug can both take a good couple of minutes to get the location.

Also, if your GPS is enabled, there'll be a little icon that looks like a target with 3 sonar type waves coming out of it on the right, just below the 1XEV, indicating that your GPS is turned on. Are you seeing that icon?

The phone never finds GPS. It will timeout and give up trying. And yes GPS is enabled and the icon is showing.
    03-17-09 11:41 AM
    thats the extent of my GPS knowledge, I'd suggest getting it looked at then if no one else has any ideas.
    03-17-09 11:53 AM
    Giving everything that you have stated I would say the GPS receiver is bad in the the phone and they are required to replace it under the one year warranty that the phone comes with. A component in the phone is defective and there is a warranty for that.
    03-17-09 12:00 PM
    If VZNav is still installed on the phone, I would suggest you uninstall it from Applications and let it reboot to complete the uninstall. After that do a *22899 Send and wait for it to hang up. Once you've done that, go outside or near a window (won't work if you're in a dense downtown area too well with big buildings) and make sure GPS is on ( the icon should look like o))) ). Then go into Blackberry Maps and hit the little SAT button on the left hand side of the toolbar at the bottom and wait for the SATs to lock in. If you don't get at least a count of 1 within 60-120 secs, then you've got a defective unit. Swap it out. If this works, then make sure you have downloaded GMM 3.0.2 (anything lower won't work) and try that.

BTW, where do you live? General area... sometimes geographical location has effect on this sort of thing.
    03-17-09 01:18 PM
    I had an issue yesterday on both of my Storms where in Google Maps I could not get a lock all day.

I ended up pulling batteries several times with no luck. What finally freed it up was to load GM, disable Latitude, close GM and stop sharing location, then reopen GM. It locked in within 5 seconds to about 4 meters. Both phones had same procedure done and both relocked in seconds.
    03-17-09 02:36 PM
    Are you in a city or otherwise surrounded by large buildings or objects? Even if you're outside if you happen to be in a city/urban area with lots of tall buildings (or you're just outside the door of your building and not in open space) they can easily block the GPS signal.

Have you tried this in a number of different places or just by going outside of your house/work for example?
    03-17-09 03:11 PM
    not really, although stupid, I have had good luck going to options , advanced, gps, and changing each setting, then saving, then resetting to location on etc, it seems to get itself stupid from time to time and this seems to fix it for a while, good luck
    03-17-09 11:33 PM
    You don't have to be outdoors for GPS to lock.

I have a Pearl, Curve and Storm. Both the Pearl and Curve lock on almost instantly and show me within 10 meters and the Storm sits right beside them and eventually times out saying that my location is within 2500 meters.

Storm GPS unit sucks.
    03-17-09 11:37 PM
    You don't have to be outdoors for GPS to lock.

I have a Pearl, Curve and Storm. Both the Pearl and Curve lock on almost instantly and show me within 10 meters and the Storm sits right beside them and eventually times out saying that my location is within 2500 meters.

Storm GPS unit sucks.
    Spoken like someone who has no idea why the Curve and Pearl work so quick. I'll let you in on a little secret. It's because they are using the PDE server on your carrier's network. That's why it's so quick. The Storm is quick when using PDE as well. As for your GMM not working on the Storm, make sure you have 3.0.2 before you bash.

On a cold boot I get SAT locks inside from my Storm within 30-45 secs. As long as I don't reboot the phone, I get locks within 10 secs after that (doesn't matter if I've not used the GPS in 5 minutes or 5 days. As long as my location doesn't change geographically by a lot - in another state or other side of the country, it's a quick lock.)
    03-18-09 12:55 AM
    Storm GPS unit sucks.
    On the contrary it is actually a very good GPS.. I typically get a faster and better indoor fix with my Storm than with a Garmin Vista hcx.
    03-18-09 01:56 AM
    i have the latest version of GMM, version 3.02, but i cannot get sats to lock onto my position either, tells me where i am within 4200 m, that's 4.2 kms, lol, tried it inside and outside with no difference, i am located in Newfoundland, so I don't know how much difference geographical location makes....garmin mobile gets sat lockup in under 15 seconds every time, inside or out...go figure
    Last edited by doorules; 03-18-09 at 05:18 AM.
    03-18-09 04:29 AM
    When I travel I have trouble with my GPS finding the satellites. I understand that when you change locations it needs time to download new tables, but is there a way to force this more quickly than 20 min? I've tried reboot and on my STORM 2 that is a 7 min operation. Seems that when I travel, which is when I need the GPS most is when it can't find satellites and I'm stuck. Any help would be appreciated.
    04-25-10 05:10 PM
    Can you turn GPS on and off quicker so when not using it will not drain battery?
    04-25-10 05:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD