I am unable to install the Blackberry Desktop Software onto a PC.

I have tried version 4.2 from the CD, and version 4.3 off the net.

Both get the same error message.

The message reads, from what I can see of it, "Error 1720. There is a problem with this windows installer package. A script required for the install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor, Custom action RIM_InstallOptionalITAdminFiles script error - 2146827859, Microsoft VBScript runtime error: ActiveX component can't create pbject: 'Scripting.FileSystemObject' L..............."

Any ideas?!

Driving me nuts.
    03-07-08 08:19 AM
    Weak guess, but are you using Vista?
    03-07-08 06:49 PM
    No. Xp. Ha.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-08 03:00 AM
    It sounds like a windows problem. But you can always check the error message on Rims site.
    03-08-08 03:35 AM
    I had exactly the same error message when installing version 4.3 of the software. I resolved the issue by installing Microsoft Windows Script 5.7 for Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP (which only took a few minutes). I have Windows XP as well.

For more info go to the Blackberry Technical Solution Center and search for 'BlackBerry Desktop Manager Installation Error 1720'. The following instruction was useful:

Resolution
    The following are possible resolutions for this issue.

Cause 1

A problem occurred with Microsoft Windows Installer.

Resolution

From the Microsoft Support Knowledge Base Download Center, download and install Microsoft Windows Script 5.7 for Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Then, click on Download Center link and download the script. You will then need to restart you computer and start installing the Blackberry desktop software again.

Hope it will work for you too!!
    04-03-08 06:35 AM
    Sounds like your XP installation isn't up to date. Do you have all patches and service packs installed?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-08 06:36 AM
    I'm using vista is there anything I can do?
    06-17-08 10:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD