Today I changed my password on my GMail account and upon attempting to edit my account on TMobile's BIS, I found that I kept receiving the lovely "An error occurred..." message.

Before you make any suggestions, I have tried this:

-Changing my password 50 times - I'm certain I am typing it in correctly and am able to login on my desktop with no problem
    -Deleting and re-adding the account
    -Enabling POP, IMAP, both and none in GMail
    -Adding the account from my BB
    -Adding the account from TMobile's BIS website
    -Following Google's Blackberry POP instructions; i.e. simply adding my email and password
    -Following Google's Blackberry & IMAP instructions; i.e. manually adding the server
    -Every conceivable combination of username and email server

I have another GMail account which I deleted and re-added successfully with no apparent problems. I cannot find the difference between the two. Any other suggestions besides "just forward it" or "d/l the GMail app"?

Thanks!
    01-25-08 03:31 PM
    Just delete the account and re-enter it.
    01-25-08 03:39 PM
    Just delete the account and re-enter it.
    #2 on the list of things I tried.

I ended up stumbling upon an apparent solution.

It seems that Google perhaps requires some sort of authentication after changing your password? I wasn't aware of this and never saw anything of the sort when logging in on my desktop. Upon downloading the GMail app and logging in there, however, I found that I was required to enter my password twice, the second time also confirming via CAPTCHA.

After that, I attempted to add my GMail account again, and voila! It works now. Very interesting indeed.

EDIT: I finally found this on the desktop: https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha
    Last edited by nmadd; 01-25-08 at 04:45 PM.
    01-25-08 04:42 PM
    Cool never new that and never came across this problem yet.
    01-25-08 05:09 PM
    Having had the same issue, I had to log out of my gmail account, configure on the BB, and then log back in.

Thanks to nmadd for the solution. I've been working on this for too long, thinking "I know I can figure this out on my own!"

Sean
    08-11-08 07:13 AM
    This link worked Perfectly for me. I was like others, tried getting out of gmail, deleting the account, and still had the prob. Once I used this link to unlock the account, I went right back in and added the gmail account no probs at all. Thanks for your work, so I didn't have to fumble around any longer. 'preciate!
    11-12-08 05:34 PM
    That link did the trick for me... after countless futile attempts at logging in directly on my BB. Thanks nmadd!
    01-05-09 07:35 PM
    YAY it worked! Thanks nmadd!
    02-24-10 03:06 PM
    I tried unlocking the captcha at above link but not successful in doing so. I am still getting the message - unable to create account.
    03-26-10 07:01 AM
    ok, it's working now.. I was entering the wrong password. Thanks for the captcha unlock link.
    03-26-10 08:20 AM
    Thanks, that link seemed to work for me, too!
    07-07-10 08:58 AM
    Thank you very much - the Blackberry just kept telling me that my password was wrong when I knew it was right and it was really frustrating. Your link did the trick!! I wish there'd have been a prompt from BB about it.

Thank you!!!!!!!!
    10-16-10 11:08 AM
    I just switch from my Tour to a spare Storm we had and I was having a hard time setting up gmail, this site is great. Thanks for the above info about the captcha.
    11-22-10 04:03 PM
    TY!!! I had to do this to access my gmail after my gmail got hacked. It drove me nuts when it kept on telling me it couldn't activate my email. I know what Captcha is, but I never have seen that page on ANY google page in my account to "lock" it to begin with. hmmm Thanks OP for finding this...
    12-15-10 10:08 AM
    Thanks so much nmadd!!!!

I got a notification from gmail this morning that an IP from china accessed my account and had to change my password. I changed it and was able to log into my gmail numerous times successfully! but of course I wasn't receiving any emails!

I deleted my gmail account and readded it but it kept saying that username and password was invalid eventhough it worked on my computer!

used your link and was instantly able to create my gmail account on my bb!

cheers
    09-09-11 03:54 AM
    Guys, its a few years on and some of the technology Google is using has been updated.

Similar problems as those experienced above such as not being able to sign in on the ol crackleberry with legitimate gmail account settings can be resolved by visiting accounts.google.com/b/0/IssuedAuthSubTokens#accesscodes

Now to hope that link works for everyone and isnt specific to me... Its midnight and I finally have emails on my phone again after HOW MANY DAYS???? lost count....
    12-13-11 07:11 AM
    #2 on the list of things I tried.

I ended up stumbling upon an apparent solution.

It seems that Google perhaps requires some sort of authentication after changing your password? I wasn't aware of this and never saw anything of the sort when logging in on my desktop. Upon downloading the GMail app and logging in there, however, I found that I was required to enter my password twice, the second time also confirming via CAPTCHA.

After that, I attempted to add my GMail account again, and voila! It works now. Very interesting indeed.

EDIT: I finally found this on the desktop: https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

thanks a ton, this was miraculous .
    05-02-12 12:16 PM
    Thank you nmadd for the link! I've been using my bb for 2 years and have never encountered such problems. Was trying to figure it out the whole afternoon! You're the man!
    07-03-12 06:30 AM
    I also struggled with this for some time after changing my GMail password. The Email Account Setup on the device requires you to sign in with your Blackberry ID, but neither my email address or screen name would be accepted when I tried to log in (despite being able to log in successfully on the website). Eventually, I managed to validate my email account from the phone:

1. Go to BlackBerry Wallpapers, Ringtones, and More from the device.

2. Scroll down to Communicate, click the Email link.

3. Select "Integrage Now" for the Email account that you want to manage (I selected GMail)

4. Click the big "Launch Email Setup" button

5. It should list your existing email account, with three options: Edit, Delete, Validate. Click "Validate" and enter your new email password

Hopes this helps someone.
    10-16-12 03:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD