Hi,

I have bought a blackberry device and use it with Airtel in India. Now I figured out today that even though I have activated a data plan with my operator for my mobile phone, I need to go through the blackberry server using their plan to access data, for which they charge an exorbitant amount of money, I think it amounts to outright extortion that I cannot access a service on my set even though I have paid for it. I have my peers who have bought iphone and other android based phones and can access the data by sheer data plan activation but do not have to pay a cent to apple or google and they still access all the facilities of outlook/lotusnotes integration with push email support.

Can you please look into this and tell me of some way in which I may obtain data access without having to use BB "services"

I would feel obliged if I can access my data without having to pay for the high rates that blackberry charges for these data plans available freely on all other sets.
    08-10-10 02:21 PM
    Hi,

I have bought a blackberry device and use it with Airtel in India. Now I figured out today that even though I have activated a data plan with my operator for my mobile phone, I need to go through the blackberry server using their plan to access data, for which they charge an exorbitant amount of money, I think it amounts to outright extortion that I cannot access a service on my set even though I have paid for it. I have my peers who have bought iphone and other android based phones and can access the data by sheer data plan activation but do not have to pay a cent to apple or google and they still access all the facilities of outlook/lotusnotes integration with push email support.

Can you please look into this and tell me of some way in which I may obtain data access without having to use BB "services"

I would feel obliged if I can access my data without having to pay for the high rates that blackberry charges for these data plans available freely on all other sets.
    No way around it... Blackberry are handling data differently and it all goes through their servers for added security features.
    Here in the US the BB plans are usually $5 to $10 more/month.
    08-10-10 02:33 PM
  3. T
    That's a big no-can-do. The BlackBerry device and service are designed to go hand in hand; that's the BlackBerry experience. And I don't think it's expensive. In fact, I spend more on each dining experience at my favorite Indian restaurants than I do monthly on BlackBerry's world class services. You probably should've done your homework.
    08-10-10 02:35 PM
    I agree with all of you that I should have done my homework, moreover I would like to state that I am a user who needs access to business mails on the go and uses a moderate amount of features like meetings etc. And I would like to point out is that in India atleast, the difference in the two data plans is quite large, the BB data plan is amost 4 times as costly as the regular data plans.

What really left me aghast was that these moderate features that I am have to pay this sum for are accessible at a much lower cost to people who do not use so much business oriented phones like iphones etc. I really did not anticipate the cost difference to be that high...I am sorry if I offended anyone, I know most of you love your BBs but I just find this too much too pay as a medium level business user..may be I will need them as the business grows.. I thought of buying a BB as I thought it would be helpful in the long run too...
    08-10-10 02:48 PM
    I know absolutely nothing about blackberry plans outside of the US, let alone India, but it if truly is that much of a price difference I'd be a bit upset as well.
    08-10-10 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD