I currently own a CDMA Curve 8330 and have no experience with WiFi on the BlackBerry platform. I have limited exposure to WiFi on the iPhone and like how it is very "automatic" feeling. It seems to use WiFi if it automatically finds a network it can connect to and use the regular network if it can't.

Does WiFi on the T-Mobile BlackBerry phones work like it does on the iPhone? Or, do you have to manually connect if you want to use UMA or have access to faster browsing speeds?
    05-03-10 03:56 PM
    I currently own a CDMA Curve 8330 and have no experience with WiFi on the BlackBerry platform. I have limited exposure to WiFi on the iPhone and like how it is very "automatic" feeling. It seems to use WiFi if it automatically finds a network it can connect to and use the regular network if it can't.

Does WiFi on the T-Mobile BlackBerry phones work like it does on the iPhone? Or, do you have to manually connect if you want to use UMA or have access to faster browsing speeds?
    With a Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry, once you save a Wi-Fi hotspot as a profile, any time you get within range of that location, the phone automatically connects to that or any of the other Wi-Fi profiles you have saved.

For instance, I have my Wi-Fi at home saved as a profile, the one at the office, a TON of friends houses and several public places like restaurants all saved as profiles in my phone.

Whenever I'm in range to any of those places, my phone automatically connects to the Wi-Fi there.

The iPhone can be set to connect to ANY open Wi-Fi it finds, but this is not a feature that I would want personally, but other than that, it works the same way, "automatically" as you said...
    05-03-10 06:31 PM
    That is a good point about it not being a "good" feature to automatically connect to any open network. I like to know what I am using.

I heard a rumor that you have to use a separate browser if you want to use WiFi to access the internet on a BlackBerry. Is that true? Do WiFi BB's have two included web browsers? Or do they know to use WiFi first if they are already connected to a hotspot?

Does having WiFi enabled cause significant battery drain if you are not connected to a network? At my job, we don't have any hotspots, but I would prefer to leave WiFi enabled all the time so the BB will hop on as soon as I get home. Is that not wise?

Thanks for all the answers BlackBerry Brian!!
    05-03-10 08:10 PM
    That is a good point about it not being a "good" feature to automatically connect to any open network. I like to know what I am using.

I heard a rumor that you have to use a separate browser if you want to use WiFi to access the internet on a BlackBerry. Is that true? Do WiFi BB's have two included web browsers? Or do they know to use WiFi first if they are already connected to a hotspot?

Does having WiFi enabled cause significant battery drain if you are not connected to a network? At my job, we don't have any hotspots, but I would prefer to leave WiFi enabled all the time so the BB will hop on as soon as I get home. Is that not wise?

Thanks for all the answers BlackBerry Brian!!
    You use the same browser, the "internet browser" if you are on the mobile network or Wi-Fi, so it's seamless there.

I keep my Wi-Fi on 24/7/365 and I'm always moving from one place to another with Wi-Fi using the mobile network in between and I have no significant battery loss at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-10 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD